Converting color images to black and white

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting color images to black and white

An overview of some of the most popular alternatives to the "standard" Photoshop monochrome conversion. Based around Photoshop 7, but the same principles apply to any image editing application that allows adjustment layers and/or channel splitting.
    [details]
    Last edited by Leah; 02-06-2004, 02:11 AM.

Excellent tutorial. I really like Figure 8.

One very time-consuming method that I sometimes use is to split the 3 color channels, then make a new image with each channel as a layer, and apply a layer mask to each layer. Then you can let just the parts you like best show through. I guess 3 channel mixer layers would do the same job.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Just for info - I'm planning to add a section on using Calculations to combine channels using layer styles (multiply/ pin light and all the others), but my head was swimming with various bw images . I'll add some discussion in about combining layers and masking too - good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
        Excellent tutorial. I really like Figure 8.

One very time-consuming method that I sometimes use is to split the 3 color channels, then make a new image with each channel as a layer, and apply a layer mask to each layer. Then you can let just the parts you like best show through. I guess 3 channel mixer layers would do the same job.
        I thought I was the first one in the world to try that!! The channel mixer layers is the way I did it.

Ed

Comment

Very nice tutorial, Leah. That's one that will be very handy for a lot of people, and a lot of situations. Thanks.

Ed

Comment

Fantastic tutorial, I love what you can do with this. I'm total lost when it comes to painting and this doesn't require it. Thank you Leah.

Comment

Variation on #5.

- HSB2 with Sat=0%
              - HSB1 for tweaks
              - Original photo

Instead of setting HSB1 to Colour and messing with Hue/Sat sliders, try this instead:
              Leave the blending mode of HSB1 as Normal.
              Use drop-down to select a hue range.
              Then use the Lightness slider to brighten or darken.

Blue skies darker? Select a range of blue and make them darker with the Lightness slider.
              Red bricks brighter? Select a range of red and make them brighter with Lightness slider.

Simple and direct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie
                Fantastic tutorial, I love what you can do with this...Thank you Leah.
                Wow. I don't know how I missed this tutorial when it was first posted. I agree with Ozzie's "fantastic" assessment. It's certainly one of of its nature that I've seen.

Check out http://www.theLightsRight.com (navigate to Photoshop Tools) for Photoshop actions that accompany a presentation of other methods of converting to BW, including simulating the use of colored filters.

Nice job, Leah. So, when's the presentation of Calculations going to be added? I've always wanted to get a better understanding of that dialog!

~Danny~

Comment

Working...
                X