No announcement yet.

Using the FFT filter to remove photgraphic paper texture

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Gerald McClaren
    Using the FFT filter to remove photo paper texture
    by Gerald McClaren
    Hi! Can someone please explain to me in the thread "Using the FFT filter to remove photographic paper texture", in the section "Put the colours back".
    Slide, with shift pressed (to align), your (now un-textured) luminosity back layer on top of the original(that's the one we...
    12-28-2014, 01:19 PM
  • yardkat
    Tricky FFT
    by yardkat
    Hello everyone,
    I'm having some difficulty with an image from which I wish to remove texture. I've tried ImageJ, Image Analyzer, and the FFT PS plugin, and the result is the same with all three. It processes the image fine, but when I zoom in on the FFT (the cross and stars thing) there are...
    06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
  • Habanero
    FFT making transparent images
    by Habanero
    Hi everyone! Photo restoration is a hobby of mine, so I'm happy I found this place. I've been restoring some old photos of a family friend and thought to try the FFT filter on the harsh texture of the paper. Come to find out FFT only works on patterned texture, not frog skin texture. It's kind of charming...
    09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
  • Nu2retouch
    FFT and Texture Removal
    by Nu2retouch
    I think I'm in a bit over my head again. I'm trying to restore a picture of my mother's father. He died when she was a little girl, and I think this is the only photo they have.

The photo has a texture to it. I've read here that you should remove the texture first. So I've been reading...
    11-21-2009, 06:18 PM
  • Gerald McClaren
    Honeycombs on entire photo
    by Gerald McClaren
    Hi!, How is everyone doing? I'm doing fine. I would like to know how can I restore this photo, when the picture is enlarge I had noticed that it is full of what I called honeycomb. I never seen anything like this in a while. The whole photo has this honeycomb all over it.
    I tried to smooth...
    11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the FFT filter to remove photgraphic paper texture

One problem that can come up from time to time is the need to retouch a photograph that has a heavy paper texture. On such a photograph the use of the day-to-day retouching techniques can be very difficult, as the texture gets just too mixed up in with the underlying image.
    [details]

This is not meant to be THE definitive tutorial on FFT. I intend to be altering this tutorial as time goes by and new ideas arise.
    Comments are most welcome, and when pertinent will be incorporated into the tutorial.

Last edited by byRo; 06-23-2005, 04:27 PM.

Thanks for a well written and informative tutorial. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's not totally at home with the FFT filter, and this gives a good grounding in how to use it.

Sorry, I forgot. Yes, the pictures are showing fine.

Comment

Thanks for a great Tutorial, Rô!!!

...and YES ... all your pictures are perfectly visible in Italy as well!!!

Comment

A couple of quick things

1) If you increase the canvas size, filling with gray, by at least 100 pixels on both dimensions before doing the FFT (and doing a new crop afterwards) you can solve the "ringing at the edges" of your image. The provides some padding and cuts in half the amplitude of the step from the top to the bottom. It would be even better to fill that in with the Average of the image, but 128 gray is sufficient.

2) I must really strongly urge using a black brush with solid black in the middle of it instead of gray and especially instead of cloning. Otherwise a small amount of the pattern will remain.

3) The radius 2-3 Gaussian Blur makes me nervous. You're potentially killing a lot of real stuff.

Now, that being said, it is a GREAT TUTORIAL. Very clear and concise and usable without scaring people.

Comment

Hi jcr6,

Originally posted by jcr6
          1) If you increase the canvas size, filling with gray, by at least 100 pixels on both dimensions before doing the FFT (and doing a new crop afterwards) you can solve the "ringing at the edges" of your image. The provides some padding and cuts in half the amplitude of the step from the top to the bottom. It would be even better to fill that in with the Average of the image, but 128 gray is sufficient.
          You are my HERO!!!! The "ringing at the edges" was something I had given up on .... I think I tried every single variation, but If I wanted the blasted texture minimized I always ended up with "ringing at the edges"

Originally posted by jcr6
          2) I must really strongly urge using a black brush with solid black in the middle of it instead of gray and especially instead of cloning. Otherwise a small amount of the pattern will remain.

3) The radius 2-3 Gaussian Blur makes me nervous. You're potentially killing a lot of real stuff.
          Same as before .... (I'm very lazy...)

Comment

Great tips JCR6, as Flora says, ringing was a problem I did'nt have an answer to.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Ro! Great job - thanks for responding to the constant nagging! *lol*

Do you think it would be worth amending the introduction to say it can also be used for newspaper print, and any other righly regular pattern? I know my confusion early on with FFT is knowing WHEN I could use it.

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the great tip. I have included it (with due credit ) in the tutorial.

As to the Gaussian Blur step, I have now changed it to Noise>Median (thank you Flora). It wasn't too clear, and maybe still isn't, but the "blur" is applied only to the colours, not to the luminosity that we just fixed. With the Median filter the possible problem should be even less.

Caitlin,

Well remembered! I'll fit that in somewhere.

Comment

Thanks byRo for a very clear tutorial, the pictures are fine.

Jcr6 has made some excellent points again

One thing that I have learned is that as every picture is different so is every FFT.

There is a posting in the Help requested Forum at the moment called “Can this picture be saves”. If you look at the FFT of this there are no stars only lines. What I did was select the central star with a large feather then invert the selection and Gaussian blur all the line out.
                  The results are OK. So I suppose once you know how to do things correctly then you can bend the rules as far as you want.

Thanks for the credit byRo (that seems to be your only spelling mistake)

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Cameraken
                    ....So I suppose once you know how to do things correctly then you can bend the rules as far as you want.
                    Yep! I've even tried FFT art! Didn't get too far though.

Originally posted by Cameraken
                    ....Thanks for the credit byRo (that seems to be your only spelling mistake)
                    Ooops. Think I did a portuguese version. Fixed now.

Comment

Great tutorial ByRo!

Can FFT be used to remove noise as well, or just repeated texture?

Comment

Random Noise vs. Pattern Noise

We call that "repeated texture" of yours Pattern Noise.

You can implement a blur function, which is good at removing Random Noise with an FFT (including some filters that are much more interesting than a Gaussian Blur). That is pretty much the limit, however. There is no equivalent to a Median filter or the new Smart Blur in PSCS2.

So the answer is "Yes, but..."

...but they're not very useful except in specific cases.

Comment

Having difficulty with IFFT

Hello -- I am somewhat a pretty novice user of Photoshop CS2 and am interested in the FFT tutorial.

I am having difficulty, however at step 6, the Inverse Fourier Transform. I took particulat note of step 6. When I do the inverse FFT I do not get a grey scale image, I get something like the FFT but colored, no image at all.

I must be missing something. Please help.

SteveD

Comment

Hi Steve, welcome to RetouchPRO

When you said step 6 inverse FFT, I think you meant step 7. Step 6 is just a reminder to turn the channels back on

If you are getting something coloured after the inverse FFT, then I say that you probably did the FFT again and not the IFFT. When things go wrong in the IFFT, you usually get a semi-transparent grey mess.
                            Try doing the FFT and then the IFFT immediately after, see if that works.

One thing that isn't (wasn't) in the tutorial is that before doing the IFFT the image must again be just one background layer.

Comment

I think I know what Steve is doing

6) Select all channels again
                              - On the channels palette turn back on the green and blue channel (easy to forget this bit);
                              - If necessary, flatten the layers (<Alt><L><F>);

It is not enough to simply have the “eye” on the RGB channel as in picture 1
                              You must have the RGB channel Highlighted as in picture 2

Ken
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X