scanner recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scanner recommendation

I'm going to be purchasing a new scanner soon. The one I currently have does not scan negatives or slides. I don't want to purchase a sub-standard product. Any (expert) opinions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

I've been very happy with Epson scanners. Most models now come with slide trays that will let you do those quite easily. Mine is an Epson 3200 Perfection.

Buy the one with the highest scanning resolution that you can afford (true resolutioni, not interpolated) 'cause you never know when you may need the power.

Comment

I'm a long, long, long way from being an expert. But I'd suggest that if you are going to have a lot of negs/slides, you will probably be better off with a dedicated scanner for that. Having said that, I also have the Epson 3200 Perfection. It does a good job of taking care of my needs, both prints and negs/slides. One thing you should probably be aware of is that some flatbed scanners that can do negs/slides can only handle 35mm. The 3200 handles medium format as well, up to 2 1/4" X 2 3/4", if I'm not mistaken (haven't had the need for it yet). Others will handle even larger formats. Good luck in your purchase.

Ed

Comment

PJ, I would definitely go with a dedicated slide scanner. Nothing beats it for quality. I have had several but am now using Nikon Cool Scans with Digital ICE. There are some threads on the site. Here is one I recall

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12674
        Regards, Murray

Comment

Epson photo700

The death (with terrible noise on scans !) of my Polaroid Printscan 4000 caused me a deal of heartache in choosing a replacement.
          As my flatbed Canoscan 2400 was also a bit slow, by to-days standards, I went for an Epson Perfection V700 which does both reflective and slide scans VERY well.

See test here
          http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...700/page_1.htm

Originally posted by mistermonday
          PJ, I would definitely go with a dedicated slide scanner. Nothing beats it for quality. I have had several but am now using Nikon Cool Scans with Digital ICE. There are some threads on the site. Here is one I recall

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12674
          Regards, Murray

Comment