External Hard Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Hard Drives

I'm thinking of getting one for backup purposes since I only have one hard drive in my PC. I do have a firewire connection, so that is an option as far as connection goes. Could anyone recommend a good brand?

Rumor has it that the Maxtor line of external drives are really reliable! No personal experience with the external ones on this end although I do use their internal drives and only had one failure on a brand new drive which they rapidly replaced.

Comment

I know this isn't what you asked, but why don't you add a second internal drive Greg? Are you using like 3 cd type devices?

I'm just curious.

Oh, check out www.storagereview.com

Sharon

Comment

Sharon - All the drive bays are filled. DVD, CD burner, Hard Drive and Floppy. It's small box! I figured since I have a firewire connection, I would get good performance from an external drive.

Thanks for the link!

ItzRandy - I had a Maxtor in a previous pc and it never crashed so I will definitely look at their externals

Comment

If youve got the connectibility for an internal hard drive don't pay a premium for an external device. Just tape the drive in the box wherever it will go, horizontal or vertical it doesn't matter.

On hard drive reliability I've had no problems with IBM or Maxtor though a Fuji did die on me a couple of years ago after little use. A friend is still using a 2 gig Seagate I originally bought in 95. I remember the salesman looking amazed at why I needed such a huge hard drive !!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• htown
            Backing up your images
            by htown
            I was wondering what people do to backup their images. I find that I line to have my images at my finger tips at all times. I am not a professional so I don't have lots and lots of projects to store but have collected over 30,000 images of the past several years. These are all, or at least most, in...
            09-25-2009, 07:57 AM
          • Lucile Davis
            Source or advice for hard drive "cage"?
            by Lucile Davis
            In order to install a second hard drive into my HP Pavilion A736N PC, instructions say to obtain a hard drive cage (no longer available from HP.) The master drive (160gb 7200rpm ATA-100 drive) is attached with screws directly to the inside front of the case frame (no cage.) There is no way to attach...
            08-21-2006, 06:24 PM
          • chris h
            Zip Drives
            by chris h
            Anybody use an external Zip drive ? if so have you had the 'click of death' ?
            06-12-2002, 04:21 PM
          • T Paul
            Hard Drive Recommendations
            by T Paul
            Well it has been a year and it looks like I am about to lose my hard drive for the second time. It does take an extremely long time for things to load so I guess that is my clue.

I ran the free PC Pitstop test and it flagged my C drive's extremely slow performance. It is a Maxtor...
            11-13-2006, 04:08 PM
          • martyphoto
            External hard drive for PS/CS
            by martyphoto
            I want to dedicate an external hard drive for use with PS/CS since my internal hard drive is becoming filled. Can I transfer the program and files over to an external hard drive or do I have to load the program into the external hard drive and then transfer the files. What about the plug insssssss.
            10-20-2005, 03:59 PM
          Working...
          X