No announcement yet.

Source or advice for hard drive "cage"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source or advice for hard drive "cage"?

In order to install a second hard drive into my HP Pavilion A736N PC, instructions say to obtain a hard drive cage (no longer available from HP.) The master drive (160gb 7200rpm ATA-100 drive) is attached with screws directly to the inside front of the case frame (no cage.) There is no way to attach a second drive in the current configuration.

Question: Does anyone know where a cage (generic is fine) can be obtained?

I am wanting a bracket/box, not a "hot drive cage". My web search ended in naught. I am likely not using the correct words. Does anyone know a more appropriate search term to use to find one?

TIA

I think you are looking for a hard drive enclosure. This is a "box" that a hard drive can be put into, and used for a secondary hard drive. They are made of plastic that I think are cheap, and aluminum,which is what I have. Some enclosures must have a fan in them to keep your hard drive from burning up, but the aluminum enclosures keep them cool enough that a fan is not needed, or so they say. I must admit, that I dont use mine very often. Look for one that is plug and play if you dont know very much about them. It is also a good idea to know what type of hard drive you have(SATA, etc) The best place to get one as far as I am concerned is Ebay. They have a ton of them. Hope this is of some help.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• G. Couch
      External Hard Drives
      by G. Couch
      I'm thinking of getting one for backup purposes since I only have one hard drive in my PC. I do have a firewire connection, so that is an option as far as connection goes. Could anyone recommend a good brand?
      03-02-2002, 10:17 PM
    • htown
      Backing up your images
      by htown
      I was wondering what people do to backup their images. I find that I line to have my images at my finger tips at all times. I am not a professional so I don't have lots and lots of projects to store but have collected over 30,000 images of the past several years. These are all, or at least most, in...
      09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
    • chris h
      IDE/ATA Hard Drives
      by chris h
      Am I right in assuming you can mix IDE and serial ATA hard drives on a motherboard that is equipped for both?
      03-22-2004, 10:30 AM
    • T Paul
      Hard Drive Recommendations
      by T Paul
      Well it has been a year and it looks like I am about to lose my hard drive for the second time. It does take an extremely long time for things to load so I guess that is my clue.

I ran the free PC Pitstop test and it flagged my C drive's extremely slow performance. It is a Maxtor...
      11-13-2006, 05:08 PM
    • Sharon
      2nd Hard Drive
      by Sharon
      I am looking into getting a 2nd hard drive for my computer. I heard that it was best to put Windows Virtual memory and PS’s Scratch Disk on the 2nd hard drive. How do you have your 2nd hard drive set up?

Thanks.
      Sharon
      07-17-2002, 12:29 AM
    Working...
    X