No announcement yet.

Epson 5500 on a Mac G4 Yes No Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epson 5500 on a Mac G4 Yes No Opinions?

Looking to get into pigmented ink printing. From what I am learning, the Epson 5500 is entry-level for this kind of equipment, and alot of people are not happy with performance. What is really being said by calling something a hundred year print, or a 25 year print?

I am just starting my photo restoration service, and I am planning to offer Fuji Crystal Archival paper printed on a Chromira printer. I am planning to just figure out who has what printer where and subcontract it out. Thank God for CDs.

Can anyone offer any strategies for getting good printing done?

Archival Printing issues intrest me much right now. It is an interesting time right now. There are way too many cheap die sub prints at photo print prices. What do you think?

Gerry Monaghan

Hi Gerry,
    Welcome to Retouch Pro. I don't know what all you know about pigment based inks and I can't say what the Epson 5500 is like but I do have the Epson 2000 that uses the archival inks which is basically the same.
    Although I love the quality of the prints I do sometimes have a problem with metamerism. Check this forum page for clarity on this.

Matching colors can be difficult at times since the colors can take on a different appearance under different lighting circumstances. Before you put money into such an expensive machine, I would say check out what users have to say on the subject and decide if you can deal with the situation. For certain colors it can be quite a difference viewed under sunlight vs the average light bulb. You can do a search on the web for reviews on it.
    I can say that Epson is about the best there is in printing. I am totally sold on Epson products. I also have a scanner and digital camera by them and have had great sucess with all of their products.
    Good luck and let us know what you find.
    DJ

Comment