X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pepperspray
    • Apr 2006

Samsung 970P and MagicTune - HELP!!!

I'm getting so grumpy and frustrated trying to figure out the whole brightness/contrast, colour calibration, monitor profiles, thing ESPECIALLY AS MY NEW MONITOR HAS NO BRIGHTNESS / CONTRAST BUTTONS!!!!

MagicTune, the wonderware that ships with this monitor doesn't work. Even though my mobo and graphics card are both listed as compatible at the manufacturers website!

It's supposed to be calibrating software that has sliders for the whole thing. And you need to do the brightness/contrast step in MagicTune before you can move to "Natural Colour" to fine tune the calibration.

Gah!

So, I figure I'll go see Adobe Gamma. Photoshop is usually pretty good about providing sliders, right?

Nope.

What do I do? What can I use to get around this problem? This is a fairly expensive monitor - one I'd set my heart on, after reading an excellent review on Tom's Hardware.

I'm gutted!
  • Doug Nelson
    Janitor
    Patron
    • Aug 2001

Re: Samsung 970P and MagicTune - HELP!!!

Sounds like you have a DCC/DCI communication problem. This can be caused by the wrong cable (the one that came with the monitor should work, DCC/DCI capable cables have an extra pin) or by old or conflicting monitor and vidcard drivers. I've had the latter problem (with a different monitor), but not the former (but that's more common, according to my monitor manufacturer).
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• pwimaging
      • Oct 2003

i have a samsung 193p that came with magic tune. it worked very well for me. click on the magic tune icon in the taskbar, it should bring up the display with brightness and contrast sliders. on the left side of the display they have image setup. click on it and
      it should bring up a color wheel with a target to move to vissualy calibrate several brightness levels. it was a little time consuming, but when i got the monitor to match my epson printer and saved the calibration as a preset, everything is a perfect match, no
      change in the almost 2 years i have used it. it is worth getting to work.
      paul

Comment

• pepperspray
        • Apr 2006

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Doug, how can I tell if it's a DCC/DCI communication problem?

Last night, I switched between the two cables that came with the monitor to see if that would help. No luck. (One cable was for analog, one for digital - I'm currently connected via the digital cable.)

pwimaging, I've heard that MagicTune is just great with this monitor, but each time I install it, I get one of those error messages - and MagicTune needs to close before it even opens.

If I reboot, I can see that MagicTune is part of the boot process, automatically retuning the monitor each day to your specific personal settings. But it just won't install properly enough to get me past those 'error, need to close' messages.

Maybe it's that my video card really is faulty - something I've been increasingly beginning to suspect.

Comment

• pwimaging
          • Oct 2003

it could be you video card. i do not do games or video so i never needed anything more
          than came with my ibm. i hope you can get it working. before i got my samsung i
          had 2 crt's and i am still impressed with this setup. i'm a 66year old auto tech who is
          up to date on auto electronics and computer communications but the internal workings
          of personal computers are not my thing. i hope someone more knowledgable in this
          field can come up with some answers.
          paul

Comment

• pepperspray
            • Apr 2006

Well, I now have a new video card, and the MagicTune software appears to have reinstalled just fine. (At least I'm not getting "error, MagicTune needs to close" messages anymore!)

Now, if only the program will actually open when I double-click on it's desktop icon!

At least I'm making progress, even if my ...ummm..."language" is sinking further and further into the gutter.

Comment

• pepperspray
              • Apr 2006

Trying to calibrate this thing is driving me insane.

MagicTune is working fine, now. But what a nightmare trying to get my head around it! Holey moley!

I just can't calibrate my monitor properly. I'm lost. Everything I do only makes things worse.

I think I'd better take a big breath, go for a bike ride, come back and have a cold beer, and start over.

Any further advice would be very much appreciated.

And thanks, guys, for all your help so far.

Comment

• Doug Nelson
                Janitor
                Patron
                • Aug 2001

You might want to pick up one of the new lowcost hardware calibrators. Visual calibration is an oxymoron, anyway.
                Learn by teaching
                Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• pepperspray
                  • Apr 2006

You mean like the "Huey", or something?

/me feels her debt rising...

Bugga.

Comment