Which scanner to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which scanner to buy?

I'm just starting a small business and have clients who want slides scanned. I have an HP that scans up to 3 slides, but has no dust removal software.

I would like to spend around $500 and am looking at the CanoScan 9950F, which seems to have been discontinued. Another option I've seen is the Epson Perfection V700. I've read mixed customer reviews on that one.

What are other options are there? Are there any dedicated slide scanners in my price range?

Thanks for your help. I didn't think it would be so hard to find the right scanner!

Re: Which scanner to buy?

I've always had excellent results from the mid range Epson scanners. Look at the "Perfection" line. Excellent general use flatbeds at reasonable prices.

If you have or expect to have a good deal of work scanning slides and film, I recommend a dedicated slide camera. I've been able to get fair results from my Epson Perfection using the slide tray, but it's a pain and you will definetly get better results from a slide scanner. I just don't do enough with slides to justify the expense or desktop real estate. The few times I've needed "right on" scans, I've taken my slides to the photo service and paid $4-$5 per scan.

Comment

For scanning slides and negatives, nothing beats a dedicated slide/neg scanner. My recommensdation is the Nikon Coolscan. Comes with Digital ICE s/w and produces awesome scans - with ICE turned on or off. They are affordable as well.
      Regards, Murray

Comment

I agree with Murray

http://www.bythom.com/coolscanv.htm

Comment

I finally managed to find the CanoScan 9950F online and ordered it. Would I do better to cancel the order and get the Nikon Cool Scan V ED instead?

Comment

I can't make any comment on the Canon, other than they make good products. I have scanned slides and made comparisons between Nikon and other slide scanners and slide scanners vs flatbed w/ adapter. The cool scan came out ahead of all. Flat beds were no match for dedicated slide/neg scanners. All that being said, technology changes every week. I suggest you tap into some of the scanner review sites and scanner user forums on the net. You can probably get some very up to date feedback.
            Regards, Murray

Comment

If slide scanning is going to be part of your business and 35 mm will be the main size you scan, I think you need to invest in a dedicated 35 mm scanner. The Nikon is a good investment if you are going to buy new. The Canon offers the bonus of versatility in terms of scanning larger film formats. In a perfect world, it would be great for your business to have both.

Doug

Comment

I was able to cancel my order for the CanoScan and have a Nikon Cool Scan V ED on order. Thanks to all of you for your input.

Comment

mamadoodle,

Give us your feedback after you begin using it.

Comment

Will do. It probably will be a couple of weeks before the scanner arrives, so don't think I've forgotten!

Comment

Mama doodle if you are still out there I was wondering how you liked the scanner.

Comment

Hi Skydog,

Unfortunately I have not received the Nikon scanner I ordered from Ritz Camera yet. They are waiting for it to come in from the manufacturer. Hopefully it will come in soon!

I'll post again when it comes.

Comment

I was finally able to purchase the Nikon Cool Scan V ED at a camera store in a nearby city!

I like it very much, but do find that the Kodachrome slides do not come out well using the Digital ICE, GEM and ROC, which work very well on other types of slides.

I am glad to finally start scanning my client's 1200 slides and do recommend this scanner.

Comment

As you have already found, for Kodachrome, turn off the digital Ice. I haven't done a lot of Kodachrome but was advised that it could be cleaned enough that you really didn't need the DI either.

Other wise, great choice.

Comment