Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor, CRT, LCD calibration - what are YOU using?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• cinderella
    Calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor
    by cinderella
    Hello Old Friends,
    I turn to you in desperation.
    I'm having a lot of difficulty calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor. I've tried several free techniques including Adobe Gamma. Others were from scarse.org and quick gamma.
    After reading your tut on AG I wonder if running Adobe Gamma...
    05-17-2009, 01:52 PM
  • Jeff F
    Can Monitor Calibration Devices Flag a Bad Monitor
    by Jeff F
    I'm asking this here because I'm currently reading Richard's book on PSE 4. It occurs to me that no amount of calibration can fix a monitor for which the colors at the edge of the screen do not match the colors in the center. And I'm sure that there are other monitor problems which cannot be eliminated...
    10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
  • PegM_4
    Color match on LCD and CRT monitors
    by PegM_4
    Can anyone tell me the best way to match color as closely as possible on my dual monitor setup? My main monitor is a SONY SDM-HX73 and the 2nd one is CTX 1785. I'm trying to get the CTX to match the SONY as close as I can.

I tried to run Adobe Gamma on the CTX, but it always only brings...
    01-25-2006, 08:03 AM
  • roa51
    Monitor Calibration
    by roa51
    Hi All,
    I am thing about buying the basICColor Display 4 software to use with my monaco optix DTP94 colorimete for monitor calibration(HP 2475w). Is this a good choice or should I look at something else?

Thank you
    roa51
    08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
  • micah
    help telling if my monitor is crt or lcd
    by micah
    Hello,
    I am trying to calibrate my monitor with the one-eye device. One of the first questions asked though was if my monitor was a lcd or crt type monitor. I thought almost all monitors were lcd, but then started to rethink it. It seems that maybe most desktop monitors (which is what I am using)...
    11-13-2003, 02:27 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor, CRT, LCD calibration - what are YOU using?

I'm about to take ownership of my first LCD (HP L2335). I will also be investing in a calibration package of some sort. [At the moment I use Adobe Gamma on my CRT that is near death.]

I did some surfing here at RP and found some pretty good info, but some of it is a little out of date (see links below). So I thought it would be interesting to find out what RP members are using as of 2007.

==============

Note: Please do not reply if you are using:
    * Adobe Gamma
    * "Only your eyeballs"

If either of these methods apply to you, click on the 2nd link below and feel free to add to that thread.

==============

If you are doing monitor calibratiion, please share the following:

A. Brand(s)/model(s) of monitor(s) (CRT and/or LCD) you are calibrating

B. Brand/model of color calibration system you are using

C. Other comments, such as:

* What do you like, not like about it?

* How would you assess ease of setup and use for rookies like me?

* Comments (pro/con) on other systems have you used

* Anything else you can think of...

================

Thanks a bunch.

~Danny~

================

Related threads

Info:
    * http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/con...r-monitor.html

Poll: Do you/don't you calibrate?
    * http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...libration.html
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM.

Re: Monitor, CRT, LCD calibration - what are YOU using?

Format 19" LCD & MAC 23" LCD
    Colorvision Spyder with OptiCal
    Simple and easy to use

I have always wanted to try the Greta Macbeath EyeOne. I can't justify purchasing another calibrated unless I knew it was understandably better.

Comment

More information about CRT and LCD monitor calibration hardware and software tools can be found using this targeted swicki search engine:

Monitor Calibration Tips Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by ImagingAssoc
        More information about CRT and LCD monitor calibration hardware and software tools can be found using this targeted swicki search engine:

Monitor Calibration Tips Search Engine
        A simply awesome site.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
          A simply awesome site.

Thanks for the link.
          Glad you like it! The search engine is a community-driven "swicki" that learns from the links clicked and ratings given by users, so the results get better and better over time ...

Comment

Colorvision Spyder 2

After reading gobs of threads and countless reviews I ended up getting a ColorVision Spyder 2.

After calibrating a new HP L2335 LCD, it made some difference (for the better) in print quality, but not substantial.

Observations:
            * There is no means of mounting the calibration device on LCD. Ended up using tape to hold it place which was functional, but not elegant.
            * Product documentation is poor. I have enough tech background that I was able to read between the lines, but a rookie might not be able to connect all the dots. For example there's subtle reference on the need to disable Adobe Gamma, but not a sniff of instruction on how to do this. I used Google to find specific instructions.
            * Once begun the process to measure R, G and B is fairly straight forward, but on-screen instructions for the step where one makes R, G and B adjustments uses terminology not mentioned in HELP or the lame paper documentation. It took a few tries to figure out what objective I was trying to achieve.

While the final results are satisfactory, I'd give the documentation, setup and ease of use a solid PITA ("pain in the a...") rating.

Comment

Eizo ColorEdge CG210 LCD
              Eye-One Pro with Eye-One Match software

High end system with great features like checking your monitor from its calibrated state to regulate when it needs re-calibrating. Withthe USB hook up it does all the adjustments automatically. Also a plus is the Eizo has a built in 10bit LUT card so the software bypasses the 8bit LUT card on the machine and does the calibration there for better gamut and accuracy.

Comment

I'm useing a Quato Intelli Proof 213 Monitor, all calibrating tools were included. So far I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Anyone got experience of these devices?

Spyder2Express (104eur/142$)
                  Pantone HueyPro (158eur/214$)
                  Spyder2 Suite (194e/263$)

Cheapest prices around here.

Comment

Hi,

I'm using a spider2pro. It's for LCD and CRT.
                    I am very happy with it. Very easy to use.

Arnold

Comment

I am using a GretagMacbeth eye one LT (actually the box is pantone but the hardware is GM) Using the included software you can not set a native white point, thats the big catch...only around $130 though.

Will be using with the ColorEdge CE240W 24" lcd very soon, which can use the eye one with the ColorNavigator CE Calibration Software which as Mando-Matic mentioned uses hardware calibration

my $260 acer 22" lcd cheapy just plain stinks, the brightness falloff is horrible and makes it hard to proof anything.

Comment

ColorNavigator does a great job. Th eye one is having some problems with the Coloredge monitors, if you already own it it will have to do.
                        I use ColorEyes Display Pro, it is without a doubt the best software for calibrating a monitor.
                        They sell a decent package along with the DTP94 I have from my Monaco PulseElite system(now part of Xrite).
                        They do have a deal for purchasing their software along with the DTP94 and their support is superb.
                        The bundle is here: http://www.integrated-color.com/Merc...ay+Calibration

The software alone is here: http://www.integrated-color.com/Merc...ay+Calibration

For what it is worth this is the same setup that the late Great Bruce Frasier(a genius when it came to this stuff and almost solely responsible for making it as easy to calibrate for the masses as it is) used. He and I (and many others)tore a bunch of programs apart and this software just offers so much more capability for the money.
                        There is a demo available that will build a profile for you. You will be amazed and I will not use anything else on my Eizo and probably any other monitor.

Call them up and order it, ask for Derrick Brown and tell them I sent you just to harrass him.

Chris

Comment

I did download the demo of color eye pro a few days ago...and the result is amazing! I think the biggest visible change was that it let me set my white point to native, as the pantone LE software would not.

Is there a way to reload the demo when I get my Eizo?...might have to use my pc for something haha.

I had a few questions for you Chris if you dont mind,

1. (in coloreyes) Do you use the *L gamma or 2.2? when I tried *L it made my B+W pictures muddy.

2. Do you use Absolute or relitive black point? Absolute seemed to work best on my acer

3. How bad is the Eye-One on the ColorNavigator CE? like way off or just you can kind of notice it if you switch profiles back and forth? (my wallets pretty thin after buying the eizo and wacom intous3!) Also I have the Eye-One display 2, where the problems with the original eye one?

Thanks for the help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it
                          Last edited by AdamZx3; 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM.

Comment

You need to make sure that the USB 2 cable is attached to the computer to get the best calibration with the eizo. If it can't communicate with the card's lut you will get good, but not great calibration. ColorEyes deals with calibrating Grays more than any other software out there.
                            What are your intitial settings when first starting out? Are you using the guided tour or the advanced setup? 16 bit? blah blah blah

1) I have used both the *L and the 2.2. I like the *L better even though, for some reason, 2.2 has become a "defacto" with photographers and such. The *L handles your monitors ability to handle your video card much better. Or vice-versa. To old to really remember.

2) Absolute or Relative really do depend on the ability of the monitor. With my Eizo I prefer the relative setting.

3) I don't recall the exact details with the Eye one, but I can call Derrick and ask him if you really want me to. But I can tell you that Integrated Color, outside of the makers of the Eizo, are the world authority on the monitors. And they dropped the eye-one last year like a rock because of problems with accurate results. Really the only way is to get a hold of a DTP94 and compare the differences.
                            Depending on where you are, if you pay the shipping and get it back right away, I can lend you mine to do this.

Chris

Comment

Thanks again for the info, even a after reading books and online articles on color management i'm still not there...but its a start. Glad to have someone who know what their talkin about

What are your intitial settings when first starting out? Are you using the guided tour or the advanced setup? 16 bit? blah blah blah
                              I'm using icc v4 with 16bit lut based profile format.
                              Native White balance with max luminance (D65 is pretty warm)
                              2.2 gamma (L* made my blacks a lot lighter, prob even lighter than a print)
                              Blackpoint - Absolute (Relative made the swatch 0,0,0 very dark grey, Luminance set to min, could very well be my current acer monitor.)

Also its being run off a Macbook Pro if that makes any difference (hopefully a mac pro soon if I can sell the MBP for enough!)

Depending on where you are, if you pay the shipping and get it back right away, I can lend you mine to do this.
                              Wow, thats very nice of you. I live in NE Ohio, and would send it back the day it came or depending on when it arrived the very next day at the latest. I am waiting on refinancing my student loan and taking some money for the new monitor, so hopefully the monitor will be on its way by next week (the schools dragging their feet). It would be great to test out the differences between the two calibrators...might have to pickup the coloreyes bundle

P.S. , I sent you a pm about the retouching seminar in vegas.
                              Last edited by AdamZx3; 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X