Recomended cd/m2 brightness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomended cd/m2 brightness?

I just finished setting up my new monitor and was wondering what is the proper brightness for an lcd? The monitor is an 24" Eizo CE coloredge. I will be using it for photography and retouching mostly for output to the web and some print from a local higher end print lab.

This is what I have setup so far:

Whitepoint- 6500k
    Gamma 2.2
    Luminance- 145 cd/m2
    Black point (automatic, profile used .11 cd/m2
    Calibrator- Eye-One Display2

Environment-
    Ambient light temp - 4500-4700k (measured)
    Brightness- 63 lux (directly in front of panel)

Using a sample file and sample page from Asuka books I could get a very close to perfect match proofing in PS using the D65, 2.2, 145 cd/cm2. The recommended proofing profile was CMYK Japanese V2 printed on a digital press if that makes a difference. Also used was cmyk chart packaged in a magazine... D50 was off by a bunch, D65 was pretty close

I tried D50 with a 1.8 gamma and it was very warm, is this still the standard? If you where going to output to a smaller client what would you use?

What luminance cd/cm2 value would you use considering the ambient light is 63 lux?

3.Is it worth replacing the bulbs to D50 iso certified spec? The current ones put out a 4500k temperature.

Thanks guys

Re: Recomended cd/m2 brightness?

Well, I do it with D65, Gamma 2.2 and Luminance- 100 cd/m2. That is a good average.

Comment

+1

I use 6500 2.2 100 for photography, 6500 2.2 80 for publishing

Comment

ISO 12646 (describes the characteristics of viewing conditions for graphic arts) has the cd/m2 at 160. This is more related to publishing work - print vs. photographic output.

Try these settings and see what you think:
        Whitepoint- 5000k
        Gamma 2.2
        Luminance- 160 cd/m2
        Black point .04 cd/m2

jp

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll try 160cd/m2....does the whitepoint have to be 5000k though? my prints wont match up with d50 :/

Looks as if the flatpanels need a higher brightness than the crt's? I found this online
          The current version treated of 2004 only CRT monitors, a revision of the standard, which includes also flat screens, stands in the autumn 2005 briefly before the Verabschiedung.
          I wish I could see the 2007 version but its like 350 bucks Anyone know the specifics of the 07 release?

Comment

I don't have any specifics on the 2007 release, but I know CRTs were not able to hit that brightness level consistently.

Probably won't matter if you change your white pt. to match your prints, although typically you would simulate the paper color using customized proof viewing in Photoshop and choosing the profile of your printer/paper setup:
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MisterJP View Post
              ISO 12646 (describes the characteristics of viewing conditions for graphic arts) has the cd/m2 at 160. This is more related to publishing work - print vs. photographic output.

Try these settings and see what you think:
              Whitepoint- 5000k
              Gamma 2.2
              Luminance- 160 cd/m2
              Black point .04 cd/m2

jp
              This is similar to what my shop uses... we do mostly advertising and output to kodak approvals and swop certified epson.

Comment

cool thanks guys, I tried the 160 and it seems easier on the eyes (at 100cd/m2 it was straining to see and at 400cd/m2 I was blinded )

Comment

Working...
                X