Related Topics

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Mac

I'm trying to decide between an iMac and a Mac Pro. Any thoughts on the matter?
    Thanks.

Re: Which Mac

what kind of budget are you on?.....not sure how well you can calibrate the monitor on an imac...

Comment

Monitor calibration is a good point. Actually, I think I've decide to go with the Mac Pro for the flexibility if nothing else.
      Thanks.

Comment

mac pro is also VERY expandable wih memory and storage, can last you a while.

Comment

If you can afford it, mac pro is the way to go. I have a macbook pro (2ghz 2gb ram) that im working off of with an external monitor and at times can hold me back, The imac would be pretty comparable with that.

By the way the current Mac Pro line is very dated, it is rumored that they will be refreshed by the end of the year, possibly even in oct. when they "should" release OS X 10.5 Leopard. It is rumored that the baseline model will run a 3ghz quad core and the other would be 8 cores, running intels new harpertown procesor with around 2gb ram, graphics cards are expected to be updated as well.

If you can wait a month or two I would wait for the new Mac Pro's

Comment

Adam... I'm waiting, I'm waiting! It's a terrible situation to be in, but I have to buy a new computer by the end of the year for tax purposes. :-) I've fully depreciated my current G5-Tower and I can use the tax deduction. Too bad, so sad, I'm glad! LOL

Comment

I hear ya I've been waiting for a month....gotta replace my macbook pro before the value falls out on it. I am considering just buying a dual 2.7 with 4gb ram, they usually go for $1500-1600 on ebay!

Comment

Save yourself a lot of money and get a PC:

Comment

save money on a PC, but also increase the hassle of owning a computer...

Comment

I would like to throw this is in for consideration, is Photoshop or other software compatible with 10.5? Just something to chew on.

Comment

99% sure it is.... Apple won't release an operating system that wont operate software that 90% of its customers use.

Comment

Definitely do not go PC.
                        I have a MacPro with 6 gigs of RAM in my studio and I just bought an iMac 24" Aluminum Model with 4 Gigs.
                        Believe it or not I am looking to sell my Macpro because I find the iMac FASTER.
                        Also Calibration is not such a problem with the iMacs. Especially if you go by the numbers when color correcting, which you should anyways.
                        The only benefits to the Mac pro are:
                        Extra Firewire and easily installed internal bays for Hard drives.
                        Besides that I do not see any difference and actually find the iMac faster.
                        Just one mans opinion but I do a lot of retouching with both.
                        Save your money and get an iMac.
                        Snook

Comment

I only mentioned the software compatibility because of this article on the appleinsider site, which may be true or not. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_leopard.html

Comment

hmmmm their will be a lot of mad users I guess thats why companies dont upgrade right away

Comment

Working...
                            X