No announcement yet.

Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• imagepoint
    Intuos3 6X11
    by imagepoint
    To my fellow Canadians, if you are searching for the Intuos3 6x11 tablet Softmagic out of Quebec has dropped the price of tablet to $379.00 CDN. No PST if shipped outside of Quebec.

http://www.softmagic.ca/index.asp

Please excuse me if this is not the appropriate forum...
    03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
  • peter41
    pen pressure
    by peter41
    could any one tell me how to adjust the pen pressure in photoshop 7 because i don't have a clue
    02-22-2003, 08:24 AM
  • fotofreak
    Graphire 2 Help
    by fotofreak
    I am using the Graphire 2, which I just recently purchased. I am having alittle problem with getting it to respond like I want it to. To me it makes the cursor seem very loose and fast. Is there a way to control this? I tried to fix it in the Wacom tablet control panel. I cant seem to get this under...
    08-15-2003, 08:41 AM
  • DJ Dubovsky
    Anyone use a Wacom tablet mouse?
    by DJ Dubovsky
    With the recent thread about computer mice, I wondered if anyone who has a Wacom tablet also uses the mouse that goes with it. I like the idea of a cordless, batteryless optical mouse so I was hoping someone may have had experience with it.
    DJ
    10-08-2001, 09:09 PM
  • Xaran
    Wacom Spares
    by Xaran
    Some time ago we had lengthy discussions on the availability of Wacom spares in the UK. I can now confirm that they are now available from
    www.wacomstore.com

I have tried them and ordered spare cover sheets - delivered next day.

Christine
    02-04-2005, 06:51 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

I tried replying to an old thread about Wacom Tablet's, but it was so old, I couldn't do it! So here's a new thread about this topic...

I'm thinking about buying a Wacom Tablet for learning smudge painting.

Circuit City has a "Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen" right now for $69.99. Since I'm a newbie, stay at home mom, doing this as a hobby and for friends, and since money is definitely an issue, will this be an okay purchase? Or will I regret it?

Specs:

• 5.8" x 3.7" active area
    • Pressure sensitive
    • Battery-free pen
    • Precise control
    • Ergonomic design
    • PC or Mac

Thanks!!
    Heidi

Re: Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

wacom makes nice products, i haven't used that model but you can read the reviews on amazon.com...

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I was just looking at that. It got 5 stars on a variety of websites...so I think I may go for it...until I can afford to upgrade...one day...

Comment

Even though it is an entry level unit you will be delighted. The difference between using a pen and a mouse is like night and day. Enjoy...

Comment

Hey Heidi. I've been using a 3.5" X 5" Wacom everyday for the last 5 years. Once you use a tablet for Photoshop you will never go back to using a mouse. I paid $100 for mine and it's been worth every penny. I like the small size. Your tablet should come with Corel Essentials Painter 3 and some other software as a bonus. Well worth buying.

Joe

Comment

Hi: I just bought a Wacom Pen tablet, and would like to know more or less because I know one doesn't treat all portraits the same way, the settings on retouching a fashion or beauty portrait when you are dodging and burning, I mean the opacity etc. or any other setting from the tablet itself. Would like to hear the feedback(s) from someone who's more experienced using a Wacom tablet.
            Thanx

Comment

been using a tablet for 10+years, from the most expensive high end with 2048 pressure points to the ones with 512, they all are worth using, as long as you take advantage of the features like pressure sensitivity, if you don't use these than you might as well stick to a mouse. I NEVER WILL GO BACK TO A MOUSE for digital retouching. One tip though, use the supplied mouse when doing regular computer stuff like surfing the internet of using word processing software, you will save the pen nibs and the drawing surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                been using a tablet for 10+years, from the most expensive high end with 2048 pressure points to the ones with 512, they all are worth using, as long as you take advantage of the features like pressure sensitivity, if you don't use these than you might as well stick to a mouse. I NEVER WILL GO BACK TO A MOUSE for digital retouching. One tip though, use the supplied mouse when doing regular computer stuff like surfing the internet of using word processing software, you will save the pen nibs and the drawing surface.
                Thanx for the cool advise.

Comment

Ciao Boneappetit,

You'll have so much fun with your new Wacom tablet! :-) Heretic gave you some nice advice... I can't use a mouse for anything, therefore have gone through countless nibs and need to replace the drawing surface...

If I'm not mistaking, when a Wacom tablet is installed, the Photoshop default brush setting automatically changes to pen pressure only for "shape dynamics" in the brush palette. To change this setting or make other adjustments, open the brush palette (F5 key).

SHAPE DYNAMICS - If pen pressure is selected from the drop down menu (under size jitter), the size of your stroke will change as you apply pressure.

OTHER DYNAMICS - Here you can select pen pressure for opacity and/or flow of the brush from the drop down menus.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

Brushes will revert to their default settings after use. If you'd like to save a brush with the new settings, just click on the new brush icon at the very bottom of the brush palette. A new brush will be created and added to your list of brushes for future use.

As far as the actual Wacom settings go, I'd say start off with the default settings and change things to your liking (and personalize) through experimentation.

Have fun!

Comment

good advice. I always have a test session where i crank the settings from one side to the other, completely extreme settings just to see what they can do, then save the ones i like, you will be amazed at what a little experimentation will come up with. GO CRAZY with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BagLady View Post
                      Ciao Boneappetit,

You'll have so much fun with your new Wacom tablet! :-) Heretic gave you some nice advice... I can't use a mouse for anything, therefore have gone through countless nibs and need to replace the drawing surface...

If I'm not mistaking, when a Wacom tablet is installed, the Photoshop default brush setting automatically changes to pen pressure only for "shape dynamics" in the brush palette. To change this setting or make other adjustments, open the brush palette (F5 key).

SHAPE DYNAMICS - If pen pressure is selected from the drop down menu (under size jitter), the size of your stroke will change as you apply pressure.

OTHER DYNAMICS - Here you can select pen pressure for opacity and/or flow of the brush from the drop down menus.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

Brushes will revert to their default settings after use. If you'd like to save a brush with the new settings, just click on the new brush icon at the very bottom of the brush palette. A new brush will be created and added to your list of brushes for future use.

As far as the actual Wacom settings go, I'd say start off with the default settings and change things to your liking (and personalize) through experimentation.

Have fun!
                      Thank you so much guys. I appreciate your advice. I'm getting in love with this thing, (not using the mouse either). Just combining the tablet with the keyboard in order to let the nip rest. This is so cool, not planning to go back to the mouse either. hehe... In fact, check out my latest works Bag Lady, I think I'm doing better now.

http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d2tcjke

Comment

i got mine for $60 on sale and I will never go back to a mouse for retouching!

It takes a while to get used to and i still swap over to the the mouse for basic functions that doesnt require 'painting'.

For things like masking and dodge/burn it's unbelievable.

An i suggest the smallest one. the larger you go, the more you'll have to move your arm. I find the smallest one the best. You wont need an intuos either because you wont need all the pressure sensitivity for retouching. GET IT!

Comment

Thanx. Nice work Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by Boneappetit View Post
                            Thank you so much guys. I appreciate your advice. I'm getting in love with this thing, (not using the mouse either). Just combining the tablet with the keyboard in order to let the nip rest. This is so cool, not planning to go back to the mouse either. hehe... In fact, check out my latest works Bag Lady, I think I'm doing better now.

http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d2tcjke
                            Hello Boneappetit,

I'm happy to hear that you're loving your new Wacom... I had no doubts! ;-) I took a look at your latest work and would say that it looks a bit too smooth for me, but I think that you're practicing with the wrong images... I downloaded the same image (google search).... It's a 628 kb file that has jpg artifacts and smooth blotches to begin with.

I would suggest looking for a high res jpg file (like 3 MB), that when saved as a TIF, becomes a 36,4 MB file. Maybe there's some generous photographer here at RTP that would be willing to provide such a file! Keep up the good work and keep posting! :-)

Ciao!

Comment

Originally posted by BagLady View Post
                              Hello Boneappetit,

I'm happy to hear that you're loving your new Wacom... I had no doubts! ;-) I took a look at your latest work and would say that it looks a bit too smooth for me, but I think that you're practicing with the wrong images... I downloaded the same image (google search).... It's a 628 kb file that has jpg artifacts and smooth blotches to begin with.

I would suggest looking for a high res jpg file (like 3 MB), that when saved as a TIF, becomes a 36,4 MB file. Maybe there's some generous photographer here at RTP that would be willing to provide such a file! Keep up the good work and keep posting! :-)

Ciao!
                              Hello BagLady:

I just keep learning. This is the 2nd time I heard about working with Tif files. Should I make my retouches using these files? Actually I don't even know how to deal with them, what I'm doing is; smaller the photos when they are too big, and I ask: Is this a bad practice? Another thing is; if I start working with a Tif file, do I keep working on it till it's finished and then save it as jpeg, so I can upload it? I tried to work with a Tif file some days ago, and I noticed that Photoshop works different while working with the file, is this normal? I'm sorry for asking you so many things, I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanx a lot for your advice. By the way, do you have a site where I can see your work?

Comment

Working...
                              X