Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage hardware and software question

Hi.
    I maintain a working SGI 4VGX workstation on which I run the Barco Creator application. We use it specifically for the warp function for which I know of no current software replacement.
    The problem is that this software's license references a chip which contains the system ID number on the SGI computer. We have needed to swap out some boards and we don't know which chip contains the ID number, so that we can retain it on the swapped out board and keep the software active.
    Any old timers know which chip on which board contains the system ID number?
    Any new timers know of a 2D retouching software which contains a reasonably sophisticated warp function?

Thanks.

Re: vintage hardware and software question

Hi rdowning.

I'm not familiar with the Barco Creator program, but take a look at the parallel port (Somtimes called the printer port) and see if there is a module plugged into it. It used to be fairly common for software manufacturers to use what was called a hardware key. The hardware key was usually connected to the parallel port.

I'm wondering what it is that you do with the warp function? Have you looked at the warp tool in photoshop? It might be what you are looking for.

Dave.

Comment

Thanks for you quick reply.
      This particular software actually references an internal chip on one of the IO boards, which makes it very secure, but we are at a loss to know which chip or prom it references. Even the manufacturer of the SGI machine couldn't answer.
      We use the warp essentially as a way of controlling map placement onto 3D models.
      The warp function in Photoshop is very rudimentary in comparison, giving only 9 subdivision spaces as compared to an infinitely subdivideable coordinate system on this older software. It also offers numerical input and saves the warps for implementation at any time in the future. It's also a great retouching tool for reshaping everything from waist lines to fantastical illustration texturing. You can check out some of our imagery and animation at www.studiomacbeth.com. Thanks again, Dave.

Comment

I think compositing software, Apple Shake for instance, have quite good 2d warping functions...

Comment

Wow
          I ran a Barco for 6 years. It was a great system. Everything was in real time. If there was a crash you only lost the very last thing you did. Photo Shop still could learn form that software. Its masking, color corrections, warp and even paste functions were superior, to Photoshop.
          As far as the software's license I believe it was tattooed to the main board. I don’t know anything you can do to get it to run. I think the software was from Belgium. Strike was the Quark version of the software and I think it was written by the same people.
          I think the only alternative is to go with 3d software. Light wave or Maya for your warping.

Dan

Comment