No announcement yet.

Another "Stupid things we Do" - Call for Help

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Sanda
    Stupid things we do.
    by Sanda
    I'm not sure if this is for the Hardware or input/out put section, but here goes.
    I had a job recently for which I had to design and print 600 double sided flyers, all in full colour. The quality was quite good but both the customer and I knew that only a small percentage of them would even...
    08-14-2002, 05:10 PM
  • beth313
    Patients is wearing thin!
    by beth313
    Hi all,

My HP photosmart 7900 series crapped out on me. It started printing horribly grey images. So, I have researched and researched and researched to no avail. I went to a store yesterday and the guy talked me into the HP D7460 printer. Well folks, it prints exactly the same as...
    05-25-2008, 01:32 AM
  • gblount
    Ink Cartridge:Epson Stylus 820 Photo
    by gblount
    After sitting for 2 or 3 days without being used, the color cartridge in my Epson Stylus 820 Photo will quit applying 1 or more colors. This has happened several times and even with new cartridges.

I can usually clean the nozzles several times and get it to working again, but this...
    12-11-2002, 09:51 PM
  • Sam
    "Compatible" inks
    by Sam
    HELP!

I'm having serious problems with my printer/ink setup, which I hope someone can advise me on. My printer is an Epson 1160 and up until very recently, I have been using Epson cartridges - all fine and dandy. HOWEVER, now that one cartridge costs about the same as a small car (thanks...
    12-12-2001, 06:32 AM
  • TC108
    Continuous Ink System for Epson R1800 - Need Advice
    by TC108
    I'm thinking of buying a CIS (Continuous Ink Supply) or refillable cartridges for an Epson R1800, but don't really know where to start or even if in my case it would be a viable option - any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!

I want a pigment based ink, and one that will...
    08-10-2007, 10:18 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Stupid things we Do" - Call for Help

Recently my Lexmark printer bit the dust. I was searching for a new one and was happy to find a used Epson 1270 at Ebay. Seller claimed it was in EXCELLENT working order but heads might need cleaning as it had sat up for about 2 months. Unhappily I found that I can't get it to print decently. I tried cleaning heads and replacing cartridges but at present can only get the yellow and red to print. He failed to send the manual and has not responded to emails.

I'm hoping this is just a small glitch that can be easily remedied. Has anyone got any suggestions other that the methyl spirits which I plan to try later.

Mesca,

I posted this over in your color management thread... I don't own a 1270/1280, so can't help you with experience. But, Epson does have the manual (and lots of other related documents) on the 1270 on the web here.

Good luck!

Jeanie

Comment

Mesca,

Before giving up on your 1270, try buying a cleaning cartridge. These are normally used to clean out the old ink before switching to another brand or type of ink (such as Lyson or MIS). They are primarily isopropyl alcohol, which does a good job of dissolving the dried ink.

Don't give up if it doesn't work right away either. Put the cartridge in, run several cleaning cycles, then leave it sit over night. If the clog is really bad it may take repeating this over several days. It is too bad that you are having such trouble, but a few more dollars, if it makes the printer work should be worth it.

Source for cleaning cartridges: Inkjet Art Scroll down to the part about cleaning cartridges...

Good luck.
      --tks

Comment

Mesca,
        Tim's post reminded me that InkjetArt also hosts forums specifically for Epson printers. You might want to explain your situation there and ask for advice as well.

Jeanie

Comment

There is also a mailing list for Epson inkjets, where you'll find a lot of good information on the printers. I'm not sure, but if you search the google groups, you might find it if you search for "Epson inkjet maliling list" or something similar. More than likely, you'll find someone on the list who can help you through your problem.

Ed

Comment

I just found this site, that has a link to the mailing list. I tried the link, but it seems the destination site is not available at this time. You might want to check it out a little later.

Ed

Comment

Ed, The Leben Epson Inkjet mailing list hasn't been working since June 16 or so. It went off-line suddenly with no explanation and hasn't ever returned. That's why I pointed Mesca to the InkjetArt forums.

Jeanie

Comment

Wow, that surprises me. It was an excellent resource. Thanks for letting me know about that.

Ed

Comment

The digital b&w group is still active on yahoo and is another good source for Epson advice.

Comment

Hi Sharon, I couldn't find the "digital b&w" group on Yahoo - do you have a link to it?

Margaret

Comment

Mesca,

Are you still having problems?
                      I just came across this link on how to deal with clogs at Jon Cone's site .

You may need to go down to #9:
                      MAJOR CLOG from HELL (Fantastik/Windex Treatment).

Good luck

Comment

I mentioned the Windex treatment on Sanda's thread. You can try searching on Google using the keywords Windex and Epson (I've just gotten 427 hits). InkjetArt's procedure is fairly detailed. The most important part of the whole procedure is getting the printheads out of their "home" position.

I've also found another trick to clean the underside of the nozzles using paper roller towel (I'll post the link when I find it). For those of us with cats this is always a problem as one often gets cat hair on the side of the paper which gets printed on. These hairs then stick like glue to the nozzles once they're wetted by the ink. Your printout then ends up with wonderful "artistic" streaks

Comment

My thanks to all...... No I don't have it working yet... went to store and got Fantastic today... and a can of compressed air... I did one round of Fantastic.. for a couple of hours... but it's not cleared... Planning on letting it sit overnight tonight and we'll see what tomorrow brings...

I was ready to do battle with the seller and try to get my money back but with all these helpful tips...I've become certain I can get it cleared eventually... At least I'm learning something about printers...and how they work.

Comment

Well,.... still no luck. Nothing seems to be touching the Black and Darker blue area. In fact.... when I look at the foam pad (under the home position) it does not even seem to come to the right far enough to touch thef the black cartridge nozzle. The other colors all seem to be fine. I've done the Fantastic treatment 3 times now. Any more suggestions from anyone?

Comment

Have you tried the part about soaking the sponge (and in your case maybe some paper towels underneath) with Fantastic and letting that soak from the outside in?

I think that was in the link to inkjet mall I posted earlier. That way you'd be going from both sides.

--tks

Comment

Working...
                              X