No announcement yet.

Hard drive question

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ed_L
    Yet another hard drive question
    by Ed_L
    After I installed the new 60 gig hard drive, the computer would only recognize 32 gigs. My son-in-law, who is quite good with computers, came over last night, and he found that I put a jumper on the hard drive that shouldn't have been there. After removing the jumper, the full 60 gigs showed up. Today,...
    10-02-2002, 06:08 PM
  • Sharon
    2nd Hard Drive
    by Sharon
    I am looking into getting a 2nd hard drive for my computer. I heard that it was best to put Windows Virtual memory and PS’s Scratch Disk on the 2nd hard drive. How do you have your 2nd hard drive set up?

Thanks.
    Sharon
    07-17-2002, 12:29 AM
  • Ed_L
    Photoshop Speed
    by Ed_L
    I'm not sure if this was a fluke, or if it's always that way....but! I just installed a second hard drive. Previously, of course, I had my scratch disk on the primary (only) hard drive. After installing a second drive, I set aside a partitioned 5 GB for my scratch disk. My primary (original) drive has...
    09-23-2002, 09:56 AM
  • chris h
    IDE/ATA Hard Drives
    by chris h
    Am I right in assuming you can mix IDE and serial ATA hard drives on a motherboard that is equipped for both?
    03-22-2004, 10:30 AM
  • Sanda
    And anotrher hard drive question.
    by Sanda
    I bought a 40gig hard drive to replace my dead 20gig one. I didn't have the old one partitioned but was wondering if I should partition this one. If so what size partitions should I use? I'm running win98.
    10-12-2002, 05:52 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always heard IBM drives had a rep for failures...

Doug - Is the onboard ram the same thing as "buffer size"? I'm trying to get all my terms right so I do not seem like a fool

Comment

We're getting way out of my tech comfort zone here, but I think cache and buffer size are two different things. Or not
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

A couple more questions:

1. What is the difference between a hard drive and a hard drive kit? I see both advertised, but I'm confused. Is it simply the fact that the kit comes with all the physical attachment hardware?

2. I've also become aware of the fact that the Bios on some computers have limitations on allowing the computer to recognize large hard drives. My computer is fairly new (Dell Dimension 4400). Is that something I should be concerned with?

3. If I buy a 60 gig hard drive, it will be enough to store image files and also use the drive as a scratch disk for Photoshop. If I do this, is there a need to make a partition, or somehow make part of the disk only available for the scratch disk?

Thanks,
        Ed

Comment

As regards the 'kit' question I always assume it means an IDE/SCSI cable, power cable and possibly brackets so you can put the drive in a 5" bay if your pushed for space.

Comment

Ed - I'll try to answer a few of those... As long as your computer is fairly new and is running anything above Windows 95, you should not have a problem with large drives.

As far as the partitioning goes, that's exactly what I did with my second drive I just installed. During the installation process you should have an option to partition the drive. If you want to use part of it for Photoshop, I would highly recommend doing so. I have a 40gb drive and partitioned it into 10gb and 30gb areas. I use the 10gb area as the scratch disk and it seems to work very well.

Comment

Thanks Chris and Greg. That's what I was thinking too, but wasn't very sure about it.

Ed

Comment

You don't need to partition, but I always recommend partitioning, that way it's easier to seperate different kinds of data, also if you lose one of your partitions (hard drive problem or it somehow gets unintentionally deleted) you won't lose everything, just the partition. I always make at least a couple partitions: 1 for Windows (I don't install my programs in Program files or store my data in My documents, that way if I'm having a problem with windows i can reformat the partition and reload it without losing any of my programs or data), 1 for Programs, 1 (more for different kinds) for data, 1 for temp and scratch disk. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on something like PartitonMagic, there is a couple freeware programs out there, here's the links:
                Ranish Partition Manager
                Zeleps Partition Resizer
                If you are going to partition, first make sure you back up *everything* on the hard drive.

- David

Comment

P.S.
                  If you're new to partitioning, then it's probably a better idea to use PartitionMagic or something like it rather than Ranish partition manager since it's a lot harder to use and you need to know what you're doing (you could fairly easily really mess things up (like your MBR etc.) and end up not being able to boot up your sytem)

- David
                  Last edited by d_kendal; 09-18-2002, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks David. A rookie like yours truly needs all the info he can get.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                    X