monitor - which brand to choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor - which brand to choose

I would like to ask for advice on which brand of monitor would be a better choice for graphic work. Available locally are: Acer, Gateway, HP, Samsung, Optiquest, Asus. Prices vary somewhat depending on the brand, and it is not immediately obvious why.
    I suppose ordering from Dell is an option as well, in the past I had a good experience with Dell monitors, although if I don't have to I rather not go through the pain of on-line ordering.
    Any specific parameters I should be looking apart from except screen size?
    I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks you in advance.

P.S. I am not looking at high end monitors, preferably just the stuff from a friendly local electronics store, if that can fit at all.

Pavel
    Last edited by pavel123; 10-20-2009, 10:48 AM.

Re: monitor - which brand to choose

my samsung tv needed a $375 board 6 months after the warranty ran out, needless to say i won't be buying anything from them in the near future...

Comment

Originally posted by pixelzombie View Post
      my samsung tv needed a $375 board 6 months after the warranty ran out, needless to say i won't be buying anything from them in the near future...
      Thank you, i'm not a big fan of a samsung either, it was, I do agree, probably it is not a wise choice.

Comment

Found this link for some of the best monitors out there.
        http://compreviews.about.com/od/moni...aphicsLCDs.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mjmdigital View Post
          Found this link for some of the best monitors out there.
          http://compreviews.about.com/od/moni...aphicsLCDs.htm
          Thank you so much. Pavel

Comment

i've always said NEC makes one of the best monitors going. i'm glad to see that gentleman confirm it, especially across different sizes.

also, if you look at Gateway, you are actually looking at Acer now. Acer bought out Gateway.

and, if you're looking at the $300 or less range of monitors, Acer does stack up fairly well. it has a decent dynamic range of color. i dont know about gamut compatibility, but it's a decent monitor in that price range.

Comment

Craig, thank you

Comment

I might say NEC P221w, this monitor ist really interesting and one of the best in his class for the money.

Some of the Dells have sometimes problems, glossy screen and to much red, but he can work for you with calibration.

Comment

I would recommend getting a Benq monitor, I have a 24" one and its is the best one I've had, got it when they were expensive but they are quite alot cheaper now. Theres lots of inputs at the back and the quality in resolution is just up to the job.

I have a 7 year 19" benq too thats still running great so they last a long time if you look after them.

Comment

Thank you, guys.

Pavel

Comment

Sites to check before buying a monitor:
                      http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html (look at the ones with Very good result)
                      http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
                      http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226

An explanation about the technologies
                      http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

Comment

+1 for Benq, I've got a 22" and it has pretty reliable colour after calibration

Comment

If you do decide to order online, I will tell you that I really like my e-IPS Dell 2209wa. I was lucky to get it for around $240 including s&h last Summer (my poor CRT had to go; still sad about that). Regardless of what monitor you get, make sure you get one that has an IPS system. Some have been happy with WPA, but IPS is better imo (not so good with gaming, but for retouching, very important).

As a side note, I don't think a high gamut display is really important if you are going to share your results online for others to see. In fact, I would say it could be a detriment in that what looks vibrant on a high color display may look dull to everyone else who standard displays. If you indeed need to do professional level retouching, then you may need the high gamut displays.

Comment

i believe it's asus that has just come out with a new led type monitor. i'm liking these led's over the lcd's. less tilt and swivel fade out. so, check those out, too. i saw one in the store on display and it looked good. it's not as good as the apple led's, but it's also quite a bit cheaper.

Comment

1) I would look at any Review Pages Dates Look at the most up to date Reviews The rest are Uesless Technology changes so fast
                              2)I would lean more to reviews by People who actually use the product every day
                              Manufacturers tend to send products that have been looked over carefully before being sent
                              Plus everyday users are not always using the product in ideal conditions so I think you get better feedback
                              Zganie

Comment