Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denschneider
    replied
    BACKP!!!!!! I don't mean to yell but i had a similar problem after i installed my epson r300m printer.I am also runnining w2k. to fix the problem i had to refomat the hard drive. after the format i reinstalled the printer and everything seems to be fine know. good luck

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Thanks for commiserating Clare!

I actually have my user ID set to administrator privileges, so I can do anything when I'm logged in with my user ID that I can as an administrator. I read at least one article that recommends against that, but I figured once I got the system back to "normal", i.e. everything installed, I'd reset the privileges. Right now, I'm glad I've got the additional account, since I can't even open Windows Explorer to look at the root level when I'm logged in with my user ID. It's possible that if I only had an Administrator account, the same thing would happen - and then I'd really be hosed! At least I have a second account where I can access the directories which seem to be causing trouble for my user account and move them to a "safe place".

Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• clare
    replied
    OH Jeanie,

I am so sorry to hear your problems are not fixed - computers can be so unreliable and exasperating.

I have XP and although I am able to log in under a different name and have a seperate profile set up I find it easier to stay as in the administrator mode. I know that it is possiable to duplicate a folder with only administrator rights so that they cannot be accessed by anyone else (this is the case in XP anyway). If possible the solution may be to have your login as the administrator login so that you always have full control of your computer / files etc.

Hope your troubles are sorted out soon
    Good Luck
    Clare

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    I'm getting really tired of this...

So, almost a month after my initial post, I'm back from my travels, installed the new HD and reinstalled W2K. (Even that was a nightmare b/c I tried installing a USB 2.0 card at the same time and after three attempts at installing Windows with the new card installed, finally decided there was a resource conflict somewhere and it just wan't going to work.) Anyway, I got my system back to bare bones working order (internet & e-mail, word processor and Photoshop with scanner and printer) b/c I had a project to get done and figured I'd finish getting the computer back to "normal" after I was done with the project.

Just yesterday, I spent about 9 hours scanning a bunch of photos and doing minimal touch-up on them. Just before I was about to scan the last photo, the same situation as mentioned in the first post in this thread popped up. The directory where I'd been saving all of my photos all day suddenly was causing explorer.exe to crash whenever I accessed it (via Windows Explorer and trying to save a file in Photoshop.)

I logged in as Administrator and can access the directory with no problems from Windows Explorer. But, logging back in as myself, I still am not able to access the directory. I copied the directory to a different disk while logged in as Administrator and can access all of the files just fine.

So, since I JUST did a clean install, I'm going to try Doug's suggestion of reinstalling Windows (over itself). One question about that - will it write over the registry? My Outlook accounts setup are stored there, so I'll back up just to be sure.

I'm getting SOOOOOOO tired of this!! I upgraded to W2K from W98 b/c many people told me it was so stable. (In fact, that was a unanimous sentiment.) But, I've had nothing but trouble ever since upgrading. Wondering if I should just go back to W98!

Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• chris h
    replied
    J,

I'll second the Norton Ghost recommendation, it is a definite bacon saver!

Cheers...

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Thanks Randy. That makes sense.
    Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• ItzRandy
    replied
    It's in the install. Systemworks sneaks into all areas of your system and even though you may not actually be running a certain facet of the program, it is running and scanning information for you in the background.

The only way to avoid this is to do a clean install, then install the retail version of Anti-Virus (do not do a custom install from systemworks and only select anti-virus to install).

Even in a custom install, you still get the primary systemworks components installed "just in case" you decide to add additional components or diagnostics at a later time.

Systemworks and Windows have never played nice together in joyous harmony!

Randy

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Clare - I've got plenty of spiders in my house that I can use as a sacrifice.

Thanks for the tip on Norton Ghost. I'll look into it.

Randy, when you say "dump" Norton SystemWorks, I know I've heard others say that before, but as far as I know, I don't have anything running constantly except Anti-Virus - and only run Utilities when I notice a problem, then run the diagnostics. Are you saying that the diagnostics can cause more problems? Or is it just the way it is installed that screws up the system - whether the programs are actually running or not?

Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• chris h
    replied
    Clare, Understood on OEM, I usually buy from Dabs or Scan and everything I get from them is OEM but was interested to see what comes in a full retail pack. Of course all the disc utils are on the home site anyway. There is some variance with other products such as scanners and what is supplied with them on either side of the pond, if you buy an Epson 2450 in the US you get silverfast which is not supplied over here. I must say I'd rather pay less for OEM than accumulate cables!!

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• clare
    replied
    Jeanie,
    If you are starting from scratch then maybe the program Notron Ghost might be worth your while looking into. I use it and find it a quick and easy way to restore a good windows partician over a bad one. ( as long as theat partician doesn't have bad sectors - but you can't be that unluckly twice - start sacrificing spiders as well - If everyone just sacrificed one I wouldn't have the **** scared out of me everytime I met one!).
    Ghost is a good program but can be very distructive. So long as you know which drive number you want to replace and make sure your partician titles are not simlar then you should be okay. Read the manual - I have wiped data with this once before. If you are starting from scrath then you have the oppertunity to play with the program without loosing any data- thats why I mentioned it here.

Chris H,
    I notice you are another brit and that you have mentioned the 'what do you get in the box?' I don't know whether this is the same in the states as it is in England but there are two types of drive you can pick up here.
    OEM and Retail they both contain the same drive but the OEM does not come with the leads drivers etc, and is there fore cheaper, than the retail that comes with all the leads etc. The idea is that if you are replacing a drive or building a computer you probably already have all the leads so why pay for more.
    Clare

Leave a comment:

• ItzRandy
    replied
    Well, that truly is interesting. My final suggestion was going to involve dumping Norton Systemworks (which it sounds like you are using). When I had my probelms, that was the other fix I tried. Dumped systemworks and went back to simply using Norton Anti-virus. So it was either the service pack upgrade or dumping systemworks that seemed to fix my problem.

Anytime I have tried to use the full systemworks package I have had problems.

Good luck and I hope you find your fix!

Randy

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Randy - It's not too late to jump in, since I won't be doing anything on my system until next week.

Interesting that you should mention Service Pack 3. When I was searching through the Microsoft Knowledge Base (or whatever they call it) for "explorer.exe" - 90% of the problems with explorer.exe had to do with W2K and Service Pack 3. As it turns out, I have Service Pack 2 (and all available updates since then as far as I know - except for Service Pack 3.) After reading all of the trouble with Service Pack 3 and explorer.exe, I was pretty sure I didn't want to upgrade to that service pack - esp. when the "resolution" to some of the problems was to go back to Service Pack 2!

Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• ItzRandy
    replied
    Jeanie,

Sorry to jump in so late on the thread! I agree with Doug that this is not going to be a hard drive problem. One question ... have you installed service pack 3 for your Win2k system?

If so, did the problems start after this install and if not, you should consider this OS upgrade. The upgrades include numerous compatability enhancements which often times resolves the mysterious file problems. I too had a similar problem when I used to use Win2k and service pack 1 resolved my issues. I've happily moved on to Win XP since then.

As for NTFS, use it where you can! It is much more reliable than the FAT32 based systems.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Nick,

I'm not trying to argue - just trying to understand...

I don't understand why it's best to have the two drives with the same file system. I wanted to run NTFS for my main drive because from everything I've read, it is supposed to have better reliability. But, I kept my second drive as FAT32 so that I can share files with my husband's networked computer - he's still running W98SE, thus can't read an NTFS volume. Am I compromising the reliability of the NTFS drive by running a FAT32 drive with it?

I'm a fairly technical person, so I like to understand the underlying reasons why someone suggests something - or pointers to go read for myself. I understood everything in the link you provided, but it didn't address having two drives with/without the same file system.

Thanks, Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• Nick Carter
    replied
    Your running your drives under two different filing systems.
    NTFS, its mainly for the windows NT operating systems but can be used by 2000 and XP. Fat32 is used by win98, 98SE, 2000 and XP

On rereading your original I see that your Win 2000 main drive is using NTFS, so I recommend converting your data drive to NTFS, as you cannot convert your NTFS back to Fat32.

This may help you
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q100108

It may fix your problem, whatever it is best to have the same filing system on your drives.

Leave a comment: