No announcement yet.

Wacom Musings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Party who sold me the Wacom arrived today and handed me another packet of pen 'nibs' having checked the price of these replacements in the UK am wondering whether to rent safe deposit box for them!!

Stephen M, I can't help you on the Graphire queries but if nothing appears here I'd suggest a search or post on Wet Canvas as tablets are used a lot by members and there are specific forums that could provide an answer.

Cheers...

Comment

Stephen,
      Never having owned anything BUT a graphire, I don't know that I can adequately answer your question. However, I have had no problem with retouching at all. I have not noticed any stuttering of any sort. I have a pretty heavy hand, but even a light touch seems very smooth to me.

I don't consider myself an artist and don't do much "sweeping" motion with my whole arm involved, just my wrist. The smaller size (4x5") does restrict "large" sweeping motions simply because of it's size. So, if you're used to doing that, it might take some getting used to. Personally, I've tried the larger sizes and actually prefer the smaller one. That's just the way I work, I guess. I've never felt restricted by the size.

As far as drawing bezier curves - if you can do it with a mouse, it seems to me it will be infinitely easier with any size tablet. That being said, it seems that some people have an easier time learning to use a tablet than others. For me, the first time I had the pen in my hand I was hooked and never looked back. Don't even use a mouse for getting around the desktop any more! (In fact, the only reason I keep a mouse around is so that my husband can find his way around my computer if he needs to - he's never figured out my tablet! )

It sounds like you're used to (maybe even own?) a larger tablet though - why are you thinking of moving to a smaller one?

Jeanie

Comment

Chris, Jeanie - thanks for the reply.

My situation is that I have access to a first gen. Graphire with mouse - but it is missing the pen. I bought a replacement pen today - $77AU (no spare nibs)...altough that's something I did not consider before. I was not sure if it was going to be worth bothering with so thus my post. It has been a while since I have used a tablet, but I have used the large models some years ago - although I was never that comfortable with them due to limited use.

Before moving to desktop systems, the proprietary graphics workstation I used to use had both a digitizer tablet/puck for tracing or plotting points as input, or mouse type movement. The main control was via a trackball - this was a large (baseball size) heavy duty slick industrial plastic ball which you could slap around for very fluid quick moves or roll with very fine precision...I have not found a desktop trackball that even comes close in todays desktop settings.

For the last decade I have been using a mouse with very infrequent tablet use - so I have some learning to undo...

After a couple of hours use I am feeling more comfortable with the tablet - but I really have to be very careful not to accidentally press the pen (or even brush the tablet surface by mistake) while using the rubber stamp and there are other learning curve issues but it is not feeling too bad and the size of the tablet seems OK.

My major concern so far is the pressure sensitivity when clone stamping - I have to press too hard to get a good cover of a dust spot - which is a simple matter for a mouse...I will have to spend a lot of time exploring the driver software.

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

What surprised me with the Intuos was the fact that you can drive the whole program your using via the pen controls, I assumed it was purely for manipulation of the visible area of the jpeg, tiff whatever. I put a link to a setup tutorial further back on this thread but I fear it isnt orientated to Graphire configuration.

Cheers...

Comment

Stephen

Have you gone into the setup on the control panel for the wacom tablet? - you can set up the sensitivity of the pen in there.

Clare

jeaniesa
            "I don't consider myself as an artist"

Having looked at your gallery I have to say I disagree - The images you create are certainly art - which makes you an artist! - and one with a lot of tallent.
            Last edited by clare; 11-01-2002, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Clare.

Stephen, You definitely want to go into the Wacom setup dialog (you can find it in the Control Panel) and set the pressure setting to your liking. There is actually quite a bit of control over that, so you should be able to find a setting that's comfortable for you.

Jeanie

Comment

Thanks to those who replied - I have been playing with the Wacom CP, there is a now a shortcut on the taskbar on my PC and on the Mac it is always easy to get to the CP for tweaking.

I have to sheepishly admit that I was so busy with the Wacom controls that I forgot to check the Photoshop ones. Doh! <g>

I like the look of the upper models pen - it seems to be easier to grasp than the skinny Graphire one (and I do not have sausage fingers by any stretch of the imagination <g>).

When I was a kid you could purchase little soft plastic slip on corrective devices (triangular) to force children to hold pens correctly when writing...I might have to go looking for one of those to slip onto the pen for a better grip, although this may make using the duobutton harder (I dont have an opinion on this as of yet, I am still too clumsy and it's use makes the nib move). As for the eraser, I think it is easier just to switch to the proper Photoshop earaser tool rather than flipping the pen over...

It has been too long since I have used a tablet - but I am enjoying my return to the tablet.

Thanks for all the personal attention and the great thread.

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

I have quickly kocked together some half inch high subtly tapered wedges (bit like a door stop) out of some electrical goods packaging foam and attached these two soft 'feet' with double sided tape to the bottom of the Graphire pad so that the tablet surface has a slight slope to it, perhaps around 5 degrees...I find this much more comfortable on the writst than having the tablet perfectly flat on the desk (Intuitos envy)!

Having lot's of fun with my new 'customized' toy. What's next - racing stripes or hot rod flames? <g>

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

Sounds like you're well on your way to never putting the pen down again. Have you considered trying to create a pen grip out of the packaging foam? Hmmm - perhaps I'm thinking of a different kind of foam than you used for the tablet "feet", so perhaps that wouldn't work. I'm thinking of a dense type of foam that is used over here for sleeping pads while camping. (And I'm sure a ton of other uses, but that's what I'm most familiar with.)

Jeanie

Comment

Here's a makeshift solution. Cut a slot on those foam gips for pencils.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Angue - I really LIKE your attachment!!!

Being a professional keyboard/mouse user (now pen/tablet) - I have not kept up with all the accessories you can kit your pencils out with...thanks for the info, now I know what to look for.

Cheers.

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

I know that on some of the Wacom pens you have the option of removing the side switch and replacing the aperture left with a sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                          X