USB or SCSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB or SCSI

I have just bought a Canon 4000 film scanner and I'm interested in hearing comments from people regarding the speed of USB versus SCSI. I'm using USB at the moment and 6 Monochrome negs batched take 14 minutes at 2000dpi 8 bit greyscale.

I was interested if SCSI is any faster, not that I'm disaapointed with the batch speed - lets me make another coffee while scanning

If anyone has experienced the difference on this or a similar beast I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

SCSI is faster than USB, but USB is just so much more convenient. If the SCSI device is not turned on and you want to use it, you have to power down the PC, power up the SCSI device, then power up the PC again. With USB, you just switch on and go.

At 2000 dpi I don't think the transfer speed would be an issue, rather the scanning speed.

Comment

Thanks,

I suspected that. I've used SCSI before and found it a pain, but if there were huge gains to be made then it might be worth it. I was a bit disappointed that Canon did not have USB 2, which blows SCSI 2 away.

Comment

Here is a method for turning on a SCSI scanner after the computer is on:

http://www.scantips.com/scsitip.html#boot

Comment

Useful link, Andrew. I'll remember that one next time I curse windows when I want to use my film scanner

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• cedwar
            Portable scanner?
            by cedwar
            Does anyone know if you can buy a portable scanner that would work on its own without power from a PC or notebook? Id like to buy a scanner that I could have with me at all times, so I could scan someone's picture that Im going to restore, without having to keep their original. I do not have a laptop...
            10-17-2005, 05:09 PM
          • chris h
            Vuescan Query
            chris h
            by chris h
            Am I correct in assuming Vuescan will run on two scanners connected to the same PC. I picked up a new Hp scanner mainly for shunting paper but just for interest sake I've left the old one (Epson 1200) hooked up. Ones scsi and the other USB. I thought of comparing scans through a third party scanner...
            10-20-2001, 06:13 AM
          • KevinBE
            Film Scanner
            KevinBE
            by KevinBE
            I don't know if anyone is interested but I bought a Minolta Speed Scan film scanner on ebay. I just couldn't pass it up because of the price. I know it's discontinued from production but it had a suggested retail of 1299.00 and it has had some good reviews. I think the last street price of this scanner...
            08-22-2003, 07:50 PM
          • Doug Nelson
            Scanners....best for $$ ?
            Doug Nelson
            Janitor
            by Doug Nelson
            By Rj Allen on Monday, June 04, 2001 - 11:28 pm:

Has anyone tested several scanners or seen the test results with the d-max listed?

I don't need to hear what the corps. say. They lie about their d-max.

I have to wonder how well the quality holds up upon...
            08-08-2001, 12:33 PM
          • kirkdickinson
            Need 35mm neg scanned in SE Ohio
            kirkdickinson
            by kirkdickinson
            I have printing project nearly ready to go off to the printer, and am badly in need of having a 35mm negative scanned high res. I have called around and can't find anybody with a high-res dedicated negative scanner. I have an Epson 4970, but it isn't cutting it. I need much better.

I...
            08-22-2006, 11:16 PM
          Working...
          X