New monitor choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor choice

I have recently made the mistake of buying one of the new Viewsonic A90f monitors. The reason I call it a mistake is that I should have looked at the specs real close. It does advertise as an exceptionally bright monitor, which should have been a warning. It is too bright and I cannot get a good profile using Optical. I cannot bring the brightness setting down to the required setting in the precission calibration mode. I have since noticed several of the monitor makers with the same advertisement as being bright.

Does anyone have knowledge of the currently available CRT monitors which one would be the best for photoshop work and be suitable for use with Colorvision's Optical and Spyder? I want at least a 19" CRT monitor. Any help would be appreciated.

A Mitsubishi 2060U is on my list for Santa Claus.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

How much do you want to spend?

I'm currently looking at an "after-lease" Mitsubishi 2040U on eBay for around $300. I've seen nothing but good reviews on the Mitsubishi monitors. I know this one is used, but since I'm really waiting for a viable LCD monitor for graphics work, I'm hoping the used Mitsubishi will get me through till one's available. And, I don't really have the $$ right now for a NEW 2060U, since it appears that I'm in the market for a new system.

Jeanie

Comment

Sony Trinitrons are great monitors. I have had two and they have both been fantastic. I wouldn't get anything else.

Comment

I second the sony trinitron monitors. I use a dual monitor system with two 15" monitors.

I tried working with a 19" and after working with the two monitors found there just wasn't enough space on my screen for all the windows I had got used to being open.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and input. I guess this narrows it down between the Mitsubishi and the Sony. I'll do more detailed analysis this time, I certainly don't want to get what I need this time. My wife will be glad to get my Viewsonic. She currently has my 7 year old Mitsubishi 17" which has a weak green gun.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge with one of these new monitors and Optical?

Comment

Monitors

Is any one bothered by the line(s) which show on the trinitron and diamondtron tubes?

Gordon Peffer

Comment

The lines on my Sony don't bother me, I got used to them in a day or two. I didn't know Diamondtron had lines (thought it was a different technology).
                Learn by teaching
                Take responsibility for learning

Comment

I have a Viewsonic 17" with the lines. When I first plugged it in, it was very noticeable. After a couple of hours, it didn't bother me, and now I don't even think about them.

Ed

Comment

Sony

I current ly have a Sony GDM 500 PS AND I LOVE IT !

It has a wonderfull max res or 2048 x 1536, but i keep it at 1600 x 1200. The lines only bother me when i sit to close to the monitor (6") so if i see'em i know to back up

It is a tad pricy, but if you have the cash or find a deal i highly recomend it.

Comment

Re: lines on the Sony

My current monitor has a Trinitron tube and I barely notice the lines at all. Only when I'm working on scratches on a photo, sometimes it fools me. But, I just move the photo to a different spot on the screen and get back to work. For the most part (reading e-mail, web surfing, etc.), I don't even notice the lines until someone asks about it - then I have to go looking for them!

Doug, for some reason, I was under the impression that the Diamondtron's DO have the lines. If I get one, I'll let you know for sure.

Jeanie

Comment

Having Two sony triniton's I can say also that the line doesn't bother me. Both are in slightly different positions - but before you asked I didn't even notice this!!!!

Comment

Another possibility for a monitor is LG's Flatron line, which is a combination of CRT and aperture grille technology, so you can get the flat screen without the lines like you get with aperture grille and trinitron (both are pretty much the same technology). I've seen Flatron's at computer stores and the display looks impressive for quality. they go up to 22" in size (*droool*)

- David

Comment

Good morning, Hoping for an update on this question. I am being given a new monitor as a birthday gift. But I have to do the research (sigh). Should it be LCD or CRT? After reading all the forums on this topic I feel confused as to whether people are happy with their LCD's. I will be in the modest price range. No pie in the sky monitors for me.
                            Perhaps now in the merry month of May , 2004 there will be several people who have been using their LCD's for photo retouching etc. that there will be some current evaluations. From what I have read one of the main problems has been the ability to tweak the colors. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks. Cinderella

Comment

Given your modest budget I'd stick with CRT, I had a dabble with TFT but I don't think the quality is there yet. My Hitachi TFT is great for office work but I'm back with a pair of Mitsu CRT's (22" and 19") for the present. 17 and 19" CRT prices have been slipping for some time.

Comment