Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer: Setting up FTP

Help please!
    I am a retoucher who would like to offer his clients the facility to access their retouched files via ftp. My experience of ftp is limited in that I have used Fetch software from time to time to upload and download files but I have no idea how to set up a system whereby I can securely isolate different client's work and keep my own computer safe from malware etc. Is it easy to set up and if so can you point me in the direction of easy to follow online instruction. I have come to computers through traditional repro, rather than the other way round, so keep it simple please.

many thanks
    R.

Re: Setting up FTP

I recommend Rumpus. I have the same requirements as you, and it has worked well for me for about 5 years. Its pretty easy to get up and running, but not dead simple.
    It offers a lot of flexibility and fantastic support.

http://www.maxum.com/Rumpus/

good luck.

oh btw its for OSX

--Shift Studio.

Comment

If you don't already have a server for your website, a solution like Dropbox would probably be more appropriate. If you do have a server, your hosting company should be able to help you out.
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Many thanks for the pointers chaps. I'm using OSX and have a website/ domain etc.
        Great work on your website Shift and love your avatar Janitor - for some reason it reminds of my clients!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chop Suey
          FTP Software
          by Chop Suey
          Hi,

Can anyone suggest a great FTP software package that is browser based to avoid clients needing FTP Software???

It would need admin so you could set up client account for passwords etc and it would be great to have a progress bar to see how the transfer is going......
          02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
        • toan thai
          ftp
          by toan thai
          hi all. i have a question regarding ftp permission. i have a web account with godaddy and would like to set up a upload/download dedicated folder for customers (without them seeing me other web materials). how do i go about of doing that using my existing account? i poked around on godaddy site but...
          05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
        • ekuna
          FTP application?
          by ekuna
          Which FTP application is better to use for mac?
          07-08-2010, 01:24 PM
        • lcramer53
          Upload choices ftp security
          by lcramer53
          1- My apologies if this post is in the wrong area or not conducive to this thread. (Had it in 'software' moving it here) anyway I am a kind of long time member and know that there are gurus here, hoping one of you can help me.

2- My issue: I created a website (for family and close friends)...
          07-25-2008, 06:24 PM
        • Doug Nelson
          FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
          by Doug Nelson
          Ok, it's been pointed out to me several times recently that not everyone knows how to FTP files. This is a very important task that anyone working with large files should know, so I've started this thread to make sure everyone does know.

FTP=File Transfer Protocol

There's...
          05-09-2002, 04:00 PM
        Working...
        X