Video Card suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card suggestions?

I'm getting a new computer in Janurary from a local builder and can choose what video card I want. I don't play games so that is not an issue. I'll be doing mainly graphics work.

The card in my present machine is an OLD 16 meg PCI Riva TNT that does OK.

Any suggestions?

The Matrox series (450 and 550 were the last model numbers I remember) are highly regarded for graphics work (but worse than useless for games).
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thanks Doug, I'll check them out.

Comment

Hey Gary, don't knock the TNT. I'm still using one (albeit that mine is AGP).

Comment

Here I thought I was the only one in the world still using a TNT card Al.

Comment

Some of the cards geared for gaming often have features like TV out or dual monitor support, so a "gaming" card can make an excellent card for graphics or for video editing, DVD viewing, etc... So, just because a card is advertised as a gaming card does not mean it will not perform well in another capacity and you can older cards for next to nothing these days.

Comment

nope you're not the only one gary, I've got an nVidia TNT2 m64 32MB (stinks for gaming) Greg had good advice about gaming cards, and you can get some really nice older ones for pretty cheap these days. around here I can get a ATI Radeon 7500 128MB DDR (which does support dual monitor I think, or at least TV out) for about $130 cdn. (that's gonna be my next card most likely)

- David

Comment

Thanks everyone.

David I have been looking at the ATI Radeon cards too and they are fairly cheap. The people that are going to build my computer recommended them.

Comment

yep, the Radeon cards have a pretty good reputation (even with the gamers now that the 9700 is out and doing better than the Geforce 4 cards in tests). the only complaint I've heard about radeon cards is about ATI's drivers, but my Dad just got a new computer with a 7500 all in wonder, and the driver is working fine and seems to work ok to me anyway.

- David

Comment

Until 2 months ago I was still using a TNT2 32 meg video card in my main PC. Since then I bought a GForce4 TI-4200 128 meg card. It has made a great deal of difference in my Photoshop work, as well as the ocasional gamming session.

I am going to upgrade my home automation server soon and use that TNT card in it. Nothing wrong with the TNT2 card at all, I got along well with this one for a long time.

Comment

I just found what I think is gonna be every major Photoshop user's dream video card: The Matrox Parhelia 256MB
                      Specs:
                      256 MB DDR ram
                      512-bit GPU
                      Triple display support
                      10-bit GigaColor technology with 10-bit GigaColor Plugin for PhotoShop

BUT, its $600 US

- David

Comment

Hi David. I have seen some of the current offerings by Matrox. They seem to have given up on competing in the mainstream market and are focusing on the professional market once again. They have some really radical offerings, very high end. They lost a lot of ground the past few years by trying to compete in the 3D card market. I'm glad to see they have come to their roots. To bad most of their new cards cost more than I can justify right now.

Comment