Quirky USB connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quirky USB connection

I bought my first digital camera last month, a Canon G-2 So far I have been extremly happy with the results from the camera even tho it is not the 35mm SLR form that I am used to. Eventually i will have to upgrade to something like the D-60 or its equivalent.

However I am having some problems with the connection to the computer thru the USB cable. If I use the included software to download the RAW files to Photoshop or go directly to Photoshop and import the images eveything works fine.

However if I try the remote capture program included with the camera or use Chris Breeze's G2capture program ( with the camera on and the lens cover off) neither remote capture program recognizes that the camera is connected.

My first thought was that this might be a cable problem but then if the cable was faulty why does the download process work perfectly ????

I did read the manual and they mentioned in there to always have the camera plugged into house current when attached to the computer and I tried that also but the results were the same.

Any ideas what may be going on here ???

What version of Windows are you using...or Mac?

Comment

I am using Windows 2000 Pro. on a Dell Pentium 4

Comment

Sorry I missed your response COLONELFLAG...I'm not sure why the software would not recognize the camera. If it's connected via a hub, that may be causing a problem. The Canon website also recommends -

"Check the camera. Make sure that your camera is ready for communication with your PC. Set the Main Dial (lower dial) to the Replay mode (blue arrowhead). "

"If everything is correct to this point, Uninstall and Reinstall the USB Driver. Refer to the section entitled "Troubleshooting the USB Driver Installation" in the Software Starter Guide."

For my camera, I just plug it in, turn it on and it shows up in "My Computer" as a removable Hard Drive....as far as I know Win2000 should also do that if the USB driver is installed properly.

Comment

thanks Greg I will try to uninstall/re-install the drivers.

Appreciate the assist

Comment