Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advise on Pen Tablet.

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• tompenpark
    Is it time for touchscreen to replace pen tablet?
    by tompenpark
    I've read this forum and didn't find this topic so I might ask here.

I just ordered Medium Intuos 4 online.
    After talking with my friend who is Adobe rep in Thailand, I'm quite concern.

He told me that touch screen technology will come to replace pen tablet anyway....
    01-24-2010, 04:11 AM
  • Brixton
    Tablet Pen and Mouse won't react how it has before
    by Brixton
    I've used my tablet for about a year now and have gotten used to the sensation of when my tablet pen or mouse is placed somewhere on the tablet, it is in the exact same place on the screen. ie. When the mouse is in the middle of the tablet, the mouse in the middle of the screen. This feature obviously...
    01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
  • smak
    Bamboo Pen Tablet question
    by smak
    Hi:

I can't find info on Bamboo Pen Tablet - can I use my mouse and the tablet at same time. I would have my mouse on right side and tablet on the left.
    Thanks for any info on this.
    12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
  • ashphotoart
    Intuos4 other type of Pen and Nibs ?
    by ashphotoart
    While I was seraching for the Intuos 4 Pen Tablet I come with some interesting questions. here what supply in the box with Intuos4.
    1. Wacom Intuos4 Digital Tablet (Medium)
    2. Mouse
    3. Grip Pen
    4. Pen Stand
    5. 5 x Standard Nibs
    6. Flex Nib
    12-04-2011, 06:26 AM
  • North Coast Fox
    Wacom Intuos5 Professional Pen Tablet
    by North Coast Fox
    Any one use one of these? Can I get by with a medium or hold out for a large?

Can I use the mouse with the tablet and pen...how do you find a point on a small screen?

Any thoughts....Thank you.......
    10-14-2012, 06:12 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablets: Need advise on Pen Tablet.

Hi,
    I'm now buying Intous 5 Pen Tablet. I just want to know from my fellow retouchers/digital artists/photographers what the size matters for you....

what size you have (1) Small 6"x4" (2) Medium 8"x6" (3) Large 12"8" ... what is the difference you feel in that models while you work in photoshop / Corel Painter / 3D application ?

Currently I've 8"x6" i-ball pen tablet for my retouching.
    I hope I will get good direction from here.

Ashish

Re: Need advise on Pen Tablet.

You posted the same question I have...
    I am thinking about buying it as well, and have no experience with it at all. What is the difference between Intuos 4 and Intuos pen & touch ? Here I mean difference when working - responsiveness to pen movement, pressure, etc.
    As I said I haven't used pen tablet so far and guess anything will be better than working with a bar of soap - but I know some people who do really great retouching and still use mouse.

Comment

I have the medium Intuos 5 and it's just right for me. I previously had a large Intuos 3, which seemed like a good idea when I ordered it, but it took up too much desktop real estate and was just generally overkill.

Comment

Pen pressure can be really nice in some areas. What I would point out is that between your tablet and screen, there is some amount of scaling. You have to be comfortable with that scaling. One inch of pen movement != one inch of cursor motion.

Comment

Personally I like a big tablet as it supports both my arm and wrist. You can also get a nice big natural sweep of the brush which better emulates conventional working practices which is good if you like illustrating or hand masking. Whatever is comfortable for you is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Repairman View Post
            Personally I like a big tablet as it supports both my arm and wrist. You can also get a nice big natural sweep of the brush which better emulates conventional working practices which is good if you like illustrating or hand masking. Whatever is comfortable for you is the way to go.
            Yes, I guess it's nice to be able to create long natural sweep, as one would with pen on a A4 or A3 paper... for instance, when drawing sunrays, or shading some large background area...
            I'm really looking forward to spending few days trying it out :-)

Comment

Depends also on the size of the monitor. I have a 27" screen and I use a large tablet with it, which is almost the same size, which I find nice. Some people hate that and use a smaller tablet. It's personal preference. Use both and see what you like best.

On the road I use a Cintiq, which some people hate, as your hand is in front of some of the image, but I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJSoulglo View Post
                Depends also on the size of the monitor. I have a 27" screen and I use a large tablet with it, which is almost the same size, which I find nice.
                It seems we agree on something. I don't understand how anyone can be really accurate with a big screen and small tablet mapped across it.

Comment

I don't really see it as a relationship between tablet and screen so much as an ergonomic comfort thing. I find it tiresome reaching across broad areas all day. I prefer to be able to span my "workspace" (tablet) with the arc of my wrist rather than my elbow. A larger tablet also puts the keyboard (shortcuts) further from reach. Ugh! And for very detailed work and accuracy, the the amount of real estate one's pen needs to traverse is as much a function of the image zoom as tablet size.

If one's tool needed to be proportional to the vista they are traversing would it stand to reason that fighter jet pilots would need ginormous steering wheels considering how broad the sky is, rather than those puny (agile) joysticks they use?

Comment

^^ I like to stick around 100% most of the time if possible. I found with a small tablet I would often be just slightly off. When I switched that issue went away. I have a fairly steady hand, but it was still too difficult to keep things smooth.

Comment

Fair enough Klev. I just think it's personal preference. I've heard the argument that the bigger the screen the bigger the tablet size should be, and it sounds reasonable enough in theory that I could see it swaying 1st time users, but it's never held water for me.

As a freelancer, I often have to take what's given to me, and sometimes I get a large tablet and a relatively small screen (24") and it's uncomfortable for me, as my preference is a medium tablet and a bigger screen. I guess it's somewhat like mouse tracking speed, everyone in a while I need to slow mine down, but for the vast majority of time I like it north of the mid point. A slow mouse just kills me.

My only advice to new buyers is to buy from a place where you can return to. And with the small tablets running about 1/2 the cost of large ones, it might be better to start small and see if bigger is needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X