Color Space Headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitors: Color Space Headache

I'm about to splurge out on a new system, desktop, monitor......but one question bugs me. If all printers print in sRGB why bother with a monitor that does RGB? Why bother with the extra gamut? Labs print in sRGB, most desktop printers do that too. Why pay the extra $, nearly double, for a viewing spectacular, that doesn't print it.

Re: Color Space Headache

Originally posted by Liz View Post
    If all printers print in sRGB why bother with a monitor that does RGB?
    All printer's don't print in sRGB. In fact NONE do.

I think your first step is to watch this, keeping in mind the gamut of both displays and printers:

[QUOTE]Everything you thought you wanted to know about color gamut

A pretty exhaustive 37 minute video examining the color gamut of RGB working spaces, images and output color spaces. All plotted in 2D and 3D to illustrate color gamut.

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/ColorGamut.mov
    Low Res (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0bxSD-Xx-Q

Comment

Re: Color Space Headache

Originally posted by Liz View Post
      I'm about to splurge out on a new system, desktop, monitor......but one question bugs me. If all printers print in sRGB why bother with a monitor that does RGB? Why bother with the extra gamut? Labs print in sRGB, most desktop printers do that too. Why pay the extra $, nearly double, for a viewing spectacular, that doesn't print it.
      sRGB is only one type (or flavor) of RGB. The list of different kinds of RGB is massive. Top four listed in Photoshop are Adobe RGB, Apple RGB, ColorMatch RGB, and ProPhotoRGB.

Follow the Video Link posted by Andrew. I also recommend the book, "Real World Color Management," by Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy, and Fred Bunting.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Col...lor+management

Comment