External monitor color different in clamshell mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External monitor color different in clamshell mode

I have a late 2013 rMBP with Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB graphics and a Dell U2410. I am using ColorEyes Display pro to color profile the displays. I notice the color is slightly different on the external monitor when I am running in clamshell mode vs dual displays (macbook pro & Dell). When I am in dual display mode the Dell is a bit more saturated. The color profiling software confirms this.
    Dual mode Maximum DeltaE: 9.68 Average DeltaE: 2.43
    clamshell mode Maximum DeltaE: 3.35 Average DeltaE: 1.55
    I spent most of a day trying different profile settings, cables and what ever voodoo I could think of bit no luck figuring this out.
    I hoping someone could shed so light on this.

Re: External monitor color different in clamshell

The first thing I'd do is to cross check with a different screen - have you tried that?

Comment

Originally posted by insmac View Post
      The first thing I'd do is to cross check with a different screen - have you tried that?
      Great idea, but for now I only have access to the one monitor

Comment

Originally posted by dimme View Post
        When I am in dual display mode the Dell is a bit more saturated.
        That would be because the dell has wider gamut.

Are you sure you're using a color managed application?
        The dell will probably be more saturated in desktop and non color managed applications, but it should be fine in color managed programs.

EDIT: Also make sure that both of the monitors use their respective color profiles when using color managed applications.

Comment

Originally posted by arson View Post
          That would be because the dell has wider gamut.

Are you sure you're using a color managed application?
          The dell will probably be more saturated in desktop and non color managed applications, but it should be fine in color managed programs.

EDIT: Also make sure that both of the monitors use their respective color profiles when using color managed applications.
          Yes I check the profiles and all seems well there. and I am using the color eyes profile validation that is where I notice the difference.
          I am seeing the difference both times on the Dell. The readings I posted are both read from the dell the only difference is the clamshell mode. The Dell behaves as expected when hooked up to a MacPro. I wonder if the MacBook Pro handles video different when using 1 or 2 displays.

Comment

Never seen this if I'm understanding you correctly. I too run a MPB and an external display (SpectraView PA272W). I see no difference if the clamshell is open or closed. Of course there is some updating of the two if one open's or closes the display for a second but not after. Do you have the external setup as the 'master' or main display?

Is this really something visual you see OR it's reported by the validation? If the later, don't even waste your time (it's not really useful in the first place).

Comment

Visually I don't see a problem, it's just in the validation. You are right it's not a big problem, but I am just curious.

Comment

The validation is pretty bogus depending on what you expect from it. If you see a really high dE value, you'd probably also see a bad preview but the report would tell you to try the process again (maybe the puck fell off, screen saver went on, software farted etc). The other useful area of validation is trending where you view reports over time. It tells you that your calibration remained consistent, it could tell you that you need to calibrate more often etc. If the previews look OK, you can pretty much forget the validation, it is bogus for many reasons. One is, you're using the same instrument to evaluate the process which is silly. Analogy: say you are building a deck that needs to be 12 feet long. You use your foot to measure this. In reality your foot is 11.7 inches. It doesn't matter how many times or how carefully you re-measure, the results will be thes same and wrong! Now you take a ruler you purchased and measure once, you find your deck is too short due to your initial measurements. You can't discover this without having a higher quality (more accurate) reference which in this analogy was the ruler.

Also, the software feeds colors to the display to gauge "accuracy" (quotes on purpose). It can send colors that are easy to 'pass' and thus make you feel good about the process. Darker and saturated colors are harder to nail. So many software products avoid using them so you don't see a report with a higher dE value. So you can dismiss this process a great deal and certainly don't spend any further time if visually, the calibrated previews appear as you expect.

Comment