No announcement yet.

Imac 27" or Mac Pro/Retina vs Eizo

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• gregKcolor
    MacPro vs IMac 27
    by gregKcolor
    I currently use a Mac G5 with an Apple 30" cinema display with CS3. My company said its time to upgrade so I showed them my wish list: MacPro quad core with my current monitor. (I believe I have to get a dvi adapter cable). I'm used to my currrent set up and like it other than its Slowwww. I...
    05-16-2011, 01:36 PM
  • jmhinchey
    Which Mac
    by jmhinchey
    I'm trying to decide between an iMac and a Mac Pro. Any thoughts on the matter?
    Thanks.
    09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
  • underarock
    Where is the new Mac Pro
    by underarock
    I am in this crazy holding pattern waiting to upgrade my mac pro to accommodate my workload. The Mac Pro is seemingly either dead or forgotten. All we have is speculation and no real news on what Apple is doing with the product line.

Please everyone express your need and tweet @apple...
    03-13-2012, 04:26 PM
  • ruud92
    Wich one? A PC notebook, or a MacBook pro and much other questions!
    by ruud92
    hello, concerning a couple year I will study, and my father will buy a computer for me. we are now already busy with the discussion or it a PC. notebook or MacBook pro becomes because you can frequently the same contents with regard to speed, rise space etc. for half of the price gets at a PC. notebook....
    09-29-2007, 07:39 AM
  • holograham
    What 1920 x 1200 LCDs Are Best for Design Work?
    by holograham
    Work:

I am wanting to license my designs through zazzle.com, which custom print various consumer goods ranging from clothing to Speck iPod cases. Zazzle recommends that images be uploaded in srgb format (although they also can accept CMYK).

Current Set-up:
    02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imac 27" or Mac Pro/Retina vs Eizo

The people at Apple tell me my early 2008 Mac Pro Quad-Core needs a new logic board. Instead of spending any more money on it (I just replaced the graphics card) I have decided to upgrade to a new computer. My question is
    do I get a lower end Mac Pro or an Imac with all the upgrades options.

Another question I use a 24" Coloredge Eizo monitor and have been told that retina displays are clearer and thus better seeing noise and sharpness. Which is better
    Last edited by HSilberman; 08-29-2014, 01:17 PM. Reason: I did not finish my post

Re: Imac 27" or Mac Pro/Retina vs Eizo

Another question I use a 24" Coloredge Eizo monitor and have been told that retina displays are clearer and thus better seeing noise and sharpness. Which is better
    Sharpener, probably. Better? Depends on what you want from the display. In terms of a unit that can be calibrated and produce a better match to a print, nope. And unless the final output is to another display, you really can't judge sharpness on-screen. It's a pretty low resolution device although the Retina is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Hi HSilberman
      Hard to be specific without knowing all your priorities yet here are some things to consider
      - If it was Apple telling you about Retina displays then of course you will here they are the best and your really need them.
      - As far as I know "Retina" displays are not used along with the iMac. iMacs (and thunderbolt displays) are about 100 ppi while the MacBook Pros are around 220 ppi displays. A bit apples and oranges
      - Apple displays are closer to sRGB in Gamut and most ColorEdge monitors I see today are closer to Adobe RGB. So color gamut may come in to the discussion
      - As far as Mac Pro vs iMac they are targeting different markets so different tradeoffs. Do you want the sRGB 100 dpi iMac monitor? Also, will the maxed out iMac meet your needs over the lifetime you expect to keep it? iMac is a fine machine if the performance and display meet your needs.
      - A lower end Mac Pro has the opportunity for expansion yet you are also paying a premium.
      - Does needing dual displays come into play in your decision making? Either can cover the needs if you are OK with the iMac display being one of them.
      ---------------
      Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by HSilberman View Post
        Not to sound patronizing, but did a salesman tell you that? Displays have a lot of room for resolution improvements. The sharpness is really the only superior quality to the macbook pro, but notebook displays have outpaced larger displays on resolution for a number of years. Apple only started to push that narrative when theirs took a big leap.

Comment

Your concern shouldn't be sharpness, but color accuracy in a monitor, or, ease and stability of calibration.

Comment

If you're looking for a retina-like sharpness and color accuracy/stability/gamut together, check out NEC EA244UHD. It is a 24 inch 4K display with adobergb gamut, hardware calibrated, and a price tag little bit higher than PA272w. There is also a 32inch beast but its hefty price will leave a dent in your wallet.

For a laptop display, Retina does an excellent job. I do Capture One work on it on location (i.e. in the studio) and love it. Then again it is only a laptop display. Get yourself a serious screen for serious retouching.

Comment

Working...
            X