Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Book Pro 13" or 15"??? Is 13 big enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mac Book Pro 13" or 15"??? Is 13 big enough?

Originally posted by klev View Post
    That's roughly the same thing I tell people. Extra ram sometimes helps though, especially if you have any kind of intermittent lag. It's usually do to frequent swaps.
    Well if you juggle a lot of assets from other software (i.e. design a page in Illustrator with a lot of assets coming from PS) it certainly helps to have a lot of RAM to spare. But over the years I've seen the greatest, most dramatic improvement with regards to hard drive speed - switching from a traditional spinning one to a SSD was the best decision from all upgrades.

Comment

Me too, but as soon as that "scratch disk" starts working you might just as well commit suicide. Ram is a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by insmac View Post
        Well if you juggle a lot of assets from other software (i.e. design a page in Illustrator with a lot of assets coming from PS) it certainly helps to have a lot of RAM to spare. But over the years I've seen the greatest, most dramatic improvement with regards to hard drive speed - switching from a traditional spinning one to a SSD was the best decision from all upgrades.
        If you can hold everything in ram, it never even touches the SSD, which is still roughly 10% of the speed. Assuming your files are stored on fast media, you will also see some benefit. Some people just go with 32GB of ram on desktop machines to avoid ever touching scratch disks. You have to make the appropriate setting adjustments though.

Comment

If you can hold everything in ram, it never even touches the SSD, which is still roughly 10% of the speed. Assuming your files are stored on fast media, you will also see some benefit. Some people just go with 32GB of ram on desktop machines to avoid ever touching scratch disks. You have to make the appropriate setting adjustments though.
          But then again it's the question of how exactly Photoshop handles the operations. It's the same as with saving a big PSD file: When I've upgraded a 7200 rpm magnetic HDD to a top of the line SSD it did not save the same file a few times faster - a lot faster, but not as much.

I'm not sure if everything stays in RAM since it has a few features like Autosave and so on. Certainly they improve and speed up things over time though - there is a huge speed boost in using the healing brush tool in the latest Photoshop CC 2015 released a few days ago.

Comment

But then again it's the question of how exactly Photoshop handles the operations. It's the same as with saving a big PSD file: When I've upgraded a 7200 rpm magnetic HDD to a top of the line SSD it did not save the same file a few times faster - a lot faster, but not as much.
            It's a fairly complex operation, because you're doing more than just writing something to disk. First the data has to be encoded in a way that is appropriate to write to disk. Typically they want to save space. A psd may have an ICC v2 or v4 profile embedded in it, and if maximize compatibility is turned on, it will also contain a flattened copy of the image. This means the cpu must examine every pixel and encode them along with the other relevant information in a way that it can be stored to disk. Seeing as these things are highly sequential, it's often relegated to a single core, which mitigates some problems.

In this sense you're held up somewhat by the cpu and other things. You're held up longer if it lacks sufficient memory to buffer the temporary data prior to writing it to disk. For example, in older versions of photoshop, you could in fact disable compression. This meant that it didn't have to buffer anything. It would just dump the contents of memory to disk, which took a fraction of the time and resulted in a very large file.

I'm not sure if everything stays in RAM since it has a few features like Autosave and so on. Certainly they improve and speed up things over time though - there is a huge speed boost in using the healing brush tool in the latest Photoshop CC 2015 released a few days ago.
            It probably buffers it somewhere, but that may be in ram if it has control of sufficient amount of ram and the system isn't starved.

Comment

Ahh I get it. Sounds resasonable enough. I do merge layers quite often to avoid cluttering because I rarely go back more than just a few steps backwards, and hence the saving itself does not take more than 30 secs at worst.

Comment

Yeah I tried to explain it with the smallest amount of nerd stuff possible, although I could dig up the sources. I tested the do not compress plugin on an old version of photoshop, and one of their engineers confirmed that it worked similarly to that on Adobe's forums. Some stuff may have changed, but with other stuff there aren't that many good ways of doing things. Some of this stuff is done a certain way to avoid corrupting files.

Comment

Yeah but ever since CS6 you don't have to stop working while saving.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                    Yeah but ever since CS6 you don't have to stop working while saving.
                    That is probably why they don't seem to support support saving uncompressed psds anymore. At least the old method no longer works, and it wouldn't be as useful when saving a very large file no longer means you have time to go for coffee.

Comment

That is probably why they don't seem to support support saving uncompressed psds anymore. At least the old method no longer works, and it wouldn't be as useful when saving a very large file no longer means you have time to go for coffee.
                      Ah so true! Ahahahaah. U used to have time to go though my entire lunch while waiting for it to save. On the plus note, I have much less fear that something will go wrong and I haven't saved my progress.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                        Ah so true! Ahahahaah. U used to have time to go though my entire lunch while waiting for it to save. On the plus note, I have much less fear that something will go wrong and I haven't saved my progress.
                        That's why I called it ridiculous to use 16 bpc at the time, considering that 8 was usually fine and 16 wasn't worth the lost productivity (took exponentially longer to save). My alternative was to use the save uncompressed feature, which did pretty much just dump to disk. You could end up with a file that was several GB at times.

Comment

On another note, anyone noticed the good old Save for web is gone for from the File menu? I mean it's still there one level deeper marked as "Legacy" but the primary item has changed to "Export" pane on par with the other CC apps.

Comment

Working...
                          X