No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a good monitor for retouching

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• P_fuzz
    Budget Monitor for retouching
    by P_fuzz
    Anybody here using Dell monitors for high-end editing?

more specifically the UltraSharp series U2410 and U2211. both of them have good reviews regarding colour calibration and black depth on tftcentral.co.uk

they run at an average £200 - £300 on ebay, btw

07-12-2011, 08:12 AM
  • kimkimkim
    What is a good LCD monitor to get for retouching
    by kimkimkim
    Hi,
    I want to buy an LCD monitor for under $1000, to do some freelance photo retouching and am wonder what the best make and model to get is.
    The tech at work said the Apple LCDs are pretty good, for the price and can be calibrated easily. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?...
    04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
  • ashphotoart
    Dell S Series S2240M 21.5 Inch for Retouching.
    by ashphotoart
    Hello,

I'm already having a Wide Gamut expensive LCD monitor for my retouching. In my office for the juniors I need to buy less expensive monitors.

I searched through the companies and came to this monitor.
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/snp/...
    02-13-2013, 04:23 AM
  • Caravaggio
    Guidance on purchasing a monitor
    by Caravaggio
    Hi, It has been a few years since anyone has posted any recommendations on monitors for retouching. I was wondering what people's current recommendations are?

I'm currently using an iMac, 5k, retina 27", late 2015, calibrated with colormunki, as my main monitor. I know Apple monitors...
    10-21-2017, 06:10 PM
  • shumski
    Laptop with external monitor for retouching
    by shumski
    Sirs,

Does anyone have an experience of using a laptop with a external monitor for retouching? Which laptop/video adapter is preferable and can be there any issues?
    Thanks
    02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions for a good monitor for retouching

Around the 1000 dollar mark the best bang for the buck would be the CS240 which is really bonkers. I have one and absolutely love it, used a lot of displays before and in this price segment this one is the best hands down.

Also, regarding self calibration - remember you still need to calibrate your display using a colorimeter (Spyder, X-Rite etc) first and then it uses a built-in sensor popping up either from the top or bottom of the screen, to cross-reference the readouts with your ICC profile coming from a hardware device. In other words, it is just to keep the calibration consistent in time. Still, it's a cool feature.

Don't know about other countries, but in EU you have to watch whether your display comes with the ColorNavigator suite license. What is odd is that the price is the same - just not every package has the CD shipped in the box.

Also, if you want something cheaper, Eizo CS230 is great, too. I've got mine for around 700 USD or a bit less. I have one at home as I prefer a smaller screen after hours. The catch is that's a 16:9 display compared to its 16:10 bigger brother (240). I prefer the first option since I like to watch movies and tv shows on my screen at night and it doesn't display black bars above and beyond the picture.

On another note, some has mentioned a Cinema Display, well I've used a matte 23" for years, I've bought in 2006 as far as I remember. Yes it doesn't have any hardware calibration or fancy features but it's consistent, neutral and very stable - I've given it to my good friend who's an illustrator and still, after using it eight hours a day no yellow tints, dead pixels and virtually no problems.

Comment

Around £460 in the UK ($730) CS240 includes Color Navigator 6 software. Seems like a bargain basin Eizo

http://shop.colourconfidence.com/pro...on-lcd-monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Tony W View Post
        Around £460 in the UK ($730) CS240 includes Color Navigator 6 software. Seems like a bargain basin Eizo

http://shop.colourconfidence.com/pro...on-lcd-monitor
        There you go Girl, DONE!

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
          You can't make a mistake here, both NEC and EIZO Eizo gives you more accurate color, and 5 year warrantee.
          NEC gives you more resolution and bigger display.
          For the same amount of cash.
          In what way, using what testing methodology does the Eizo provide more accurate color than the comparable NEC SpectraView?

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the discussions and opinions. It's great! I'm learning a lor of things and all of you are helping me so much in solving the topic! I'll check also the issue about the Italian release of the different models with or without software. What I should say? Thanks again, really.
            I'll let you know the final decision of course! ;-)
            Silvia

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrodney View Post
              In what way, using what testing methodology does the Eizo provide more accurate color than the comparable NEC SpectraView?
              It's just that this particular model is known to have a bit stronger greens. Answer would be none.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                It's just that this particular model is known to have a bit stronger greens. Answer would be none.
                Stronger green? You're comparing the color gamut of the two and the green primary is extended?

I'm still not sure what this has to do with color accuracy or how it's being defined.

Comment

How important is the monitor's color Gamut , the sRGB and Adobe RGB.

It seems that most monitors there have a 100% sRGB color Gamut, but I continue to come across the opinion that a retouching/photographers monitor should have at least a 95% or better Adobe RGB color Gamut.

The NEC EA274WM has a low Adobe RGB color Gamut. Does this make a difference?
                  Last edited by Paris; 09-20-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paris View Post
                    How important is the monitor's color Gamut , the sRGB and Adobe RGB.
                    It's important if you work with a wider gamut working space then sRGB and you want to see those colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Paris View Post

The NEC EA274WM has a low Adobe RGB color Gamut. Does this make a difference?
                      Gamut determines whether a display could reproduce a specific color. It does not determine whether it will display that color when it matches a target value. It only determines your outer boundary points.

Handling of out of gamut colors is performed at different points. Actual error values relative to a specific patch target in any kind of profiler test are partially independent of gamut. It works that way because the tests look at measured values and compares them to reference values. If something is out of gamut, it won't be exact, but good color handling may still minimize the error better than you would experience on a lower quality display.

At some point the whole Adobe RGB thing may filter down to the $199 21" displays. That won't make them any more trustworthy when it comes to reproducing intended colors.

That NEC display isn't specifically aimed at graphics users, but you should look for reviews on it. There are many reasons other than gamut that could determine whether it's a hit or a miss for your purposes.

Comment

For a good analogy, look onto the automotive market. It's a fairly easy job to stuff a monster engine into any chassis but to control its power output is another story. And so, just like with the power train (wide gamut) you'll need stability, uniformity, color control, among others to harness the capabilities. You're better off with a well balanced and calibrated sRGB screen than a cheapo adobeRGB one.

I used to have a Dell U2713H which was top of the line 27 IPS with adobergb-capable LG LM270WQ3-SLA1 panel. The display came in factory calibrated, with a calibration chart and a "premium color" seal of quality. And yet, it was nowhere near perfect, in fact I could not use it for the postproduction work because it had a common "red and green blotches" issue which manifests itself in one part of the screen tinted red whereas the other one turns green. Also, the warranty did not cover that, because it lies within the display's margin of error, albeit it's clearly visible. And so - if the centre of the screen it's uniform enought, differencies on the edges don't mean a thing.

And back to a CS230 ColorEdge which is a sRGB-only display was like an upgrade. No issues, no backlight bleeding, perfectly uniform, stable, self correction every hundred hours. What more would I want for 650 USD?

Comment

Thanks for your precious feedbacks! At the end I bought the Eizo CS240 :-)
                          Have a nice day
                          Silvia

Comment

perfect choice!

Comment

Make sure what ever monitor you purchase is an "IPS" monitor, RGB LED and not el-wled, with a minimum native resolution of 1920 * 1200, 8 or 10 bit.
                              Most respectable brand IPS monitors are quite good.
                              I use a "DELL" IPS monitor and calibrate it bi-weekly with an x-rite, ColorMunki.
                              However EIZO CG277, LG UM95, BenQ BL2711U & Dell U3415W in the above $500 range.

In the $200 to $500 range Dell P2415Q, Dell U2415, & BenQ GW2765HT.

Don't forget that the ambient light in the room effects the results as well. Although it's nice to work in natural light, it can be challenging to not have too much ambient light affecting the screen.

Good luck and much success with your choice and work.

Comment

Working...
                              X