No announcement yet.

Graphic Card for Wide Gamut Displays.

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• albatrosss
    Need recommendation for video card
    by albatrosss
    I have been using Photoshop CS for about 4 years. My interest is to continue using it as a hobby. I find it relaxing and interesting but I have no desire to go beyond being a hobbiest. I own a Dell 4400 with 384 SDRAM, a 40 G HD and 1.7 MHz. The computer is 5 years old and because of my advanced...
    03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
  • Don Majoros
    Dual Monitor
    by Don Majoros
    I would like to hook up a smaller 2nd monitor to my system,but not sure how to do it.Could anyone help?
    My system is:
    Gateway 933 w/348 mb Ram,30 gb hard drive,Pentium III processor,64mb nvidia geforce 2 gts graphics card w/tv out.All on Windows ME.
    Could anyone help lead me in...
    08-14-2002, 12:51 PM
  • pavel123
    graphic card
    by pavel123
    I was considering increasing PC performance by putting in a new graphic card (currently I have an integrated with motherboard card, low budget solution from Dell). Does anyone have any experience....theoretically this should reduce workload on RAM and CPU....any suggestions for graphic card.
    06-12-2009, 07:53 AM
  • ashphotoart
    Graphic Card for Photoshop CS5
    by ashphotoart
    Hi all,

I'm listing the hardware/software configuration I've. and I want to setup dual monitor system and wants to work in 100% Color managed environment.

1. Core2Duo Processor
    2. 4 GM RAM
    3. WIndows 7
    4. ASUS MotherBoard P5N73-AM
    5. X-rite...
    06-15-2011, 03:45 AM
  • jrolinc
    Video Cards & 2nd Monitors question
    by jrolinc
    Hi

Well, even though I've been in the computer industry for too many years to count, (well, almost), I'd like to ask for some help as my research is getting confusing regarding video cards and second monitors.

I've got an AGP card already in my system. It is a bit older...
    01-01-2003, 02:17 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitors: Graphic Card for Wide Gamut Displays.

Hello All,

I need technical info, what configuration of graphic card we should select for wide gamut monitors for Photography Post production purpose, not for gaming/video. using Photoshop CS6.

monitor configuration is - AH-IPS 16:9 2560 x 1440, 99% Adobe RGB Color,10-bit color, 14 bit internal LUT.

please give me hint what configuration of graphic card should give maximum result in my work.

Thank you in advance.

Ashish

Re: Graphic Card for Wide Gamut Displays.

Assuming your display accepts a 10 bit signal and you are on Windows, you can check for supported cards on Adobe's site. I don't have the link handy.

If you're on a Mac/running OSX, you cannot obtain support without installing El Capitan and photoshop creative cloud. CS6 doesn't have this feature on OSX.

Comment

Yes, I'm on windows7, monitor is 10 bit color and 14 bit LUT.

Comment

If you want to take full advantage of 10 bit display then there are only two ranges to consider either Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro. Other cards of course work very well even without access to 10 bit pipeline I use a Nvidia GTX 960 4GB without issue

Comment

Thank you Tony,

I'm wondering if in graphic card specification it is mentioned that it supports 10 bit pipeline. that's the point where I need to look about it.

Comment

and yes, my aim to get full advantage of my display. so please suggest the graphic card which is appropriate and cost effective.

Comment

The Quadro and FirePro do support full 10 bit you must use the DisplayPort connector. Which one to go for depends on how deep your pockets are and if any other application you may have special requirements.

Just taking Nvidia I would be looking at the K620 minimum or better K2200
              http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/quadr...-specs-uk.html

For the moment ignoring AMD FirePro which did have some issues not playing nicely with Adobe products - the issues may be resolved by new drivers but I do not kniw

Comment

if I see the pricing I would like to go with Quadro K620 , but if Quadro K2200 make big changes for doing photoshop editing I would be make fool myself. what you think guys ?

Comment

Originally posted by ashphotoart View Post
                  if I see the pricing I would like to go with Quadro K620 , but if Quadro K2200 make big changes for doing photoshop editing I would be make fool myself. what you think guys ?
                  It's a trivial difference. Tony's information is also misleading. Several of the cards in those lines are not marked as supported (there was a list somewhere for CS6, Creative Cloud is different). They might work anyway, but it's misleading.

I tried to explain in the first part that you need the model of the display and the model of the card. You need to cross reference the card with photoshop as well, not CC but CS6. Otherwise it just goes to 8 bit per channel data paths. That looks fine too, but it's not what you seem to want.

Upgrades between cards are a waste of money if you have the correct features. You won't gain anything valuable.

Here's an example of a working setup. That's actually a much older firepro card. I know the quadros weren't working for a long time. I may have to look at AMD's site.

Comment

Originally posted by klev View Post
                    It's a trivial difference. Tony's information is also misleading. Several of the cards in those lines are not marked as supported (there was a list somewhere for CS6, Creative Cloud is different). They might work anyway, but it's misleAding
                    And klev should really check his facts before mouthing off!!

The card numbers relate to series therefore you will find that 600 and 2000 series include those mentioned as compatible

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...-card-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tony W View Post
                      And klev should really check his facts before mouthing off!!
                      I know I come off as a know it all. Mistakes are expensive when it comes to hardware purchases. That's why I try to be specific. See below.

Originally posted by Tony W View Post
                      The card numbers relate to series therefore you will find that 600 and 2000 series include those mentioned as compatible

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...-card-faq.html
                      This is very easy to miss, because it's mentioned toward the end in your link.

30-bit Display (Windows only): Allows Photoshop to display 30-bit data directly to screen on video cards that support it

Note:

30-bit display is not functioning correctly with current drivers. We are working to address this issue as soon as possible.
                      It was working with Windows 7 and CS5/6 on some cards, although it used to disable Aero. I don't know if that behavior is still in place. You also have to check the display model, because sometimes a specific brand of display + software will have known bugs with a particular card.

This is why I keep telling you guys to cross-reference everything. Saying things like "10-bit display" and its resolution are not very useful if you're looking for specific information. It's a real mess figuring out what works with what, so you have to be very specific. I wish it wasn't that way.

Okay so your link was helpful in googling.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...6-gpu-faq.html

The CS6 page also says not working as intended. If the OP is really considering this, I would probably suggest the cheapest card running on the newest architecture. That way it should be supported for some time. I usually like NVidia but AMD has been better supported by photoshop in the past. If he's using After Effects or Premiere or anything else that still uses CUDA libraries, then NVidia would be ideal. I'm looking for a sticky thread or something on Adobe's forums and coming up blank. Whatever he uses, it's nearly useless if it's incompatible with the display oem's software.
                      Last edited by klev; 01-09-2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I'm talking for this monitor.

http://www.asus.com/IN/Monitors/PA279Q

Comment

read studied and searched the points.
                          guys, give me your opinion about hardware, I'm going through with these -

(1) Asus PA279Q AH-IPS with 10bit color support.
                          https://www.asus.com/in/Monitors/PA279Q/
                          (2) nVidia Quadro K620 Graphic Card.
                          (3) Asus H87-Pro motherboard
                          https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/H87PRO/

thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by klev View Post
                            I know I come off as a know it all.
                            And nothing has altered to change that view in this post

In answer to the card numbers relate to series and 600 2000 mentioned as compatible, you wrote:
                            This is very easy to miss, because it's mentioned toward the end in your link.
                            Perhaps you are running a different or backwards browser because in mine shortly after the Adobe introduction about taking advantage of graphics cards and in the section appropriately titled Which graphics cards are tested? the first paragraph states:
                            Adobe tested the following graphics processing cards (GPUs) before the release of Photoshop CC 2015. This document lists the cards by series. The minimum amount of graphics processor VRAM supported for Photoshop is 512 MB ...

It was working with Windows 7 and CS5/6 on some cards, although it used to disable Aero. I don't know if that behavior is still in place.
                            AFAIK Aero needs to be disabled with Win 7.

You also have to check the display model, because sometimes a specific brand of display + software will have known bugs with a particular card.
                            Very vague and flaky - where are the specifics you feel that you always stick to i.e. examples of current displays/drivers and their associated bugs?

This is why I keep telling you guys to cross-reference everything. Saying things like "10-bit display" and its resolution are not very useful if you're looking for specific information. It's a real mess figuring out what works with what, so you have to be very specific. I wish it wasn't that way.
                            Who are you to be telling us guys to cross reference when you appear to be incapable of doing the same?

The OP made it fairly clear in the first post what the monitor basic are without mentioning brand
                            "monitor configuration is - AH-IPS 16:9 2560 x 1440, 99% Adobe RGB Color,10-bit color, 14 bit internal LUT."
                            From this it is a short step to conclude that as long as the rest of the chain supports a 10 bit pipeline then the only graphics card offering support are either Quadro or Firepro

Okay so your link was helpful in googling.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...6-gpu-faq.html

The CS6 page also says not working as intended.
                            Condescending and wrong again!
                            Interesting that the CS6 page very similar to the CC page including quoting early on that cards tested from the series. Included in both CS6 and CC links are the Quadro cards mentioned in my post i.e. the 620 or the K2200

If the OP is really considering this, I would probably suggest the cheapest card running on the newest architecture.
                            Why are you not asking the question what other software does the OP run? For instance if he happens to run CAD or 3D he may need to go for the Nvidia K2200 over the K620 the 2000 series offering generally better faster spec. depending on the app.

IMO there is enough evidence to support the case that 30 bit display works within Windows 7 and up
                            https://photographylife.com/what-is-...raphy-workflow
                            Note if you tick the 30 Bit Display option in the Advanced GPU Setup menu you will need to confirm by testing with a test ramp.
                            http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/qu...Output+Support

Comment

Originally posted by ashphotoart View Post
                              read studied and searched the points.
                              guys, give me your opinion about hardware, I'm going through with these -

(1) Asus PA279Q AH-IPS with 10bit color support.
                              https://www.asus.com/in/Monitors/PA279Q/
                              (2) nVidia Quadro K620 Graphic Card.
                              (3) Asus H87-Pro motherboard
                              https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/H87PRO/

thank you in advance.
                              Asus make fine motherboards and I have built several PC's based on them. My current system based on the X99 board with Intel i7 5820 CPU. Not familiar with the H87 but I think that it has integrated graphics - make sure it either disables automatically when new graphics board added or at least has a BIOS switch to disable.

While Asus may make fine mobo's their monitors are an unknown quantity to me. My preference is for NEC or Eizo and the hardware calibration capabilities with either the Spectraview or Color Navigator software.

The Quadro K620 as an entry level 10 bit card should be fine for 2D Photoshop but check your other applications requirements especially if using CAD or 3D. Many applications that require rendering will benefit from the more expensive Quadro cards. It is not clear if CS6 even extended with 3D capabilities would benefit.
                              Have a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHO9jJVFn2c

Comment

Working...
                              X