No announcement yet.

Back peddling

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• KevinBE
    Film Scanner
    by KevinBE
    I don't know if anyone is interested but I bought a Minolta Speed Scan film scanner on ebay. I just couldn't pass it up because of the price. I know it's discontinued from production but it had a suggested retail of 1299.00 and it has had some good reviews. I think the last street price of this scanner...
    08-22-2003, 07:50 PM
  • Caravaggio
    recommendations on a new scanner
    by Caravaggio
    Hi, I'm doing some work on a documentary and am looking for recommendations on a professional scanner. I will be scanning archival photos and slides. I have an epson perfection v500 scanner. It seems to do a decent job scanning photos but gets pretty bad results scanning 35 millimeter slides. Can you...
    07-06-2015, 04:13 PM
  • dimme
    Scanner for Kodachrome collection
    by dimme
    I just inherited the family photo collection of about 4 or 5 thousand 5mm Kodachrome slides. I plan to scan a lot of these. I know what I in for I was a drum & Imacon scanner operator for many years. I have tools to profile the scanner so I would like to do that also. I see a lot of old film scanners...
    06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
  • Toad
    Advice on scanners - what do I need?
    by Toad
    I have been doing digital photography for about 2 years, and Photoshop for a little less time.

However, I have thousands of decent photographs on standard 35mm that I would like to be able to work with in Photoshop.

I am guessing that scanning prints of the photos is the...
    04-29-2003, 11:48 AM
  • timmy1729
    What scanner would you recommend
    by timmy1729
    I am thinking about putting a scanner on my xmas list for this year and wanted to get some recommendations.

I need one that is relatively cheap. I'm not a pro so I don't need anything extravagant. What gives the most bang for the buck? My mother has a big box stuffed to the brim with...
    08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have waded through the replies to your initial post about slide film/negative film and would like to supplement these replies.

I have had quite a lot of experience hand processing Ektachrome transparency film (35mm) and have made these observations.

1) Temperature control is paramount to quality results.
    2) It is a while now since I did some but it is heavily time consuming. I recall about an hour per roll.
    3) Organising all the solutions in the correct quantities, at the correct temperature is tedious.
    4) Mixing and storing the extra solutions is a pain.
    5) The rinse water for pre/during and final rinse should be kept within a fairly well defined temp range ie +2 to -2 degrees F. (Reticulation/Grain gain if not fairly seriously observed)
    etc.etc.........etc.

My recommendation? Get the 'Professionals' to do it. I've been out of the mainstream for a few years now so things may have changed but I predict not a great deal. BTW, a good thing to do is buy ektachrome in 100ft rolls and buy a bulk loader. Load it as you need it and refrigerate, not freeze, the bulk loader until next time. Give it time to reach room temp before exposing the film.

If you want the finest quality buy Kodachrome with a mailer.

Comment

Hi Stevo, I appreciate your insight on developing the slide film. I really don't know much about the proceedures as I have yet to do my first roll. I am glad to know ahead of time though about the ridgid proceedures and temperature requirements. It may turn out that I wont develop all my film. I'll just have to see how it goes. I have developed 70mm black&white film and x-ray film in years past but those just used a simple mono-bath and fixer. I get the idea that the color slide film will be quite a bit more to it than that. I bought the darkroom equipment < $100.00 on ebay and if it turns out not to be something I want to do on an ongoing basis I can always turn back around and sell it. I wonder what kind of turn-around I could get with a mailer? Leaving it a Walgreens for 2 weeks wasn't very exciting.

Hi Fishboy, I do plan on getting a DSLR when I can afford it. Right now I don't have the extra 2500.00 or so to shell out. If the business turns our good and I am able to actually start making money with my photography I will most certainly buy the DSLR I really want. Right now I am using a Nikon CP-995 which does very good except for it not being an SLR. I have learned how to shoot in bright sunlight with a hood over the viewscreen. I have also learned how to compensate for it's low light auto-focus problems. One of it's strong suits is Macro shooting. So far I haven't been able to equal it with the Canon A-1. It will probably require a much more expensive lens than I now have. That Cp-995 takes absolutely beautiful macro shots.

Oh well thanks guys for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X