Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitors

I was talking with someone today who has just ordered a flatscreen (LCD) monitor. This is a person who does a lot of photo work, so I was a little surprised as the last time I compared CRT vs. flatscreen technology (between 6 mos-1 yr ago), I thought the consensus was that CRT still offers the most vibrant colors and contrast for photo work. I was quickly corrected in our conversation that flatscreens actually provide more contrast - and are easier on the eyes.

So, I'm wondering what types of monitors you work on - and why you chose them. I'm well aware of the cost difference between the two technologies, but if that were not an issue, what would be your preference?

Thanks, Jeanie

I don't own a flatscreen or LCD, in fact my monitor is nothing great at all, but its common knowledge that LCD screens aren't consistently color-correctable (not even from one part of the screen to another) and so are therefore useless for serious color work. (but they are seriously cool)
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

I recently upgraded my computer and was searching for a CRT monitor, but ran across info on the KDS® 15" Ultra-Thin LCD Display by radius. I have a laptop which had worked surprisingly well for me with Photoshop when my desktop PC was down, so I checked some reviews and looked at the display in Sam's Club (for $349.98). I'm sure there are advantages for pros to have a high level CRT, but my small computer table (and my back) are more suited to lightweight, small footprint peripherals. The Rad-5 is made by a well-known monitor maker, radius, and backed by a 3 yr. warranty. It's viewing image is larger than the 15 inch CRT it replaced since the CRT's measure diagonally, and the display is bright and sharp (to my aging eyes). I got it and I'm happy.

ZDNET's review of July 2001 summarized it Pros and Cons as follows:
      Pros: Good image, Easy installation, Attractive case, Competitive price
      Cons: Hard-to-reach buttons [not THAT hard - CJ]

Here's some ADVERTISING chatter for it --

LCD Panel
      Type : TFT LCD
      Pixel Pitch : .297(H)mm x .297(V)mm
      Max Color : 16.7 Million displayable colors
      Contrast Ratio : 300:1 (typical)
      Max Resolution : 1024 x 768 @75Hz
      Dimensions : Panel: 358mm(W) x 358mm(H) x 158mm(D) (14.09" x 14.09" x 6.22")
      Weight : Net: 4kg(8.8 lbs)

Warranty
      Full 3-year warranty backed by KARES lifetime replacement
      For the life of the monitor, KDS will replace the monitor with another unit within 48 to 72 hours

Comment

I have a 17 inch Viewsonic flat screen monitor. Some people say they don't like them, but I really like mine. Some people have a problem with the two small grid lines running horizontally on the screen. When I first got mine, I noticed it for a while, but now I rarely see it. Kinda like a dirty wall. If you see it all the time, you don't notice it. Note to self - shouldn't have said that. Now I gotta wash walls.

Ed

Comment

The only major limitations of the flat screens that I've seen is that they're more delicate, have limitations in their resolutions, AND you get less space for your buck.

At work, I use a 19" Viewsonic PS790, and I'm quite happy with it. (I just need to pursade them to get me a 21")
          At home, I have a "Cheap" 17" that I use for games and such, and I have a better 17" (soon to be 19, I hope) that I use for "serious" stuff.

One thing I do recomment, though, is that you get a Sony, or have products made with Sony Tubes.

http://www.maximumpc.com is an excellent resource for finding out what certain products are good. I use them as a measure of quality.

Rick

<tosses two pennies>

Comment

I use a 19" Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 and I am very happy with it. At the time, it was a great price for a 19" monitor and was a huge improvement over my smaller monitor. Yes size does matter ;-)

-T

Of course I don't think Hitachi makes this model any more, so here is a link to their monitors.

Hitachi Computer Monitors
            Last edited by T Paul; 09-20-2001, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Wow - what a diverse array of monitors! (I would have expected nothing less from this group. ;-) Thanks everyone for your replies.

Ed, just to clarify, you have a flatscreen CRT, right? Not a flatpanel LCD? (I realize now that I probably confused things in my original post with my terminology - using flatscreen rather than flatpanel for the LCD-type displays.)

I have a flatscreen CRT too (I'm pretty sure it has a Sony tube, but I'm not positive) and I hardly ever notice the two horizontal lines anymore. This is a home-loan monitor (21"!!) from my husband's workplace though, so I'm trying to do some research for the day that we have to return it. Of course with the rapid pace of changing technology, by the time I need to buy one, all the info here will be obsolete.

Anyway, I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Jeanie

Comment

T Paul,

I've also got a Hitachi 751 and would LOVE to find another. I'll have to look and see what the current model version is. My 2nd monitor is an old ViewSonic 17" GT770. Two matched 19"s would be more desirable.

Wonder if I can find a back stock of 751s.

Of course two large monitors do take up a lot of desktop space so I fully understand the urge for flat LCDs.

-Scott

Comment

To save deskspace mount your monitor on a TV wall bracket assuming your desk is near a wall and swing it away when not required. Mine's bolted into brick probably have to be a bit careful with partition walls especially with 19''+ monitors.

Comment

For what it's worth, no matter what type monitor you eventually decide on, go for the largest screen you can get. I have the 21 inch View Sonic and I love the room I get on it. For photo editing it is great. Even if it costs a bit more, I would still get the larger screen. You will probably upgrade your computer more often than your monitor so put the bucks into getting the best. Just an opinion.
                    DJ

Comment

SuperScan Elite 751

I found refurbished 751's for $185 with $45 shipping. These are great monitors if you're looking for a good deal on a 19".

http://www.pricewatch.com just search for "elite 751".

The new 19" CM771 can be had for $349 and the CM772 for $359.

The 21" CM810 is in the mid $550 range. The CM827 is in the mid-$650 range, The CM821, 823, 828 are $750+.

Agree you should get the biggest, best quality monitor you can afford. But dual monitors are a great option and I find that this setup provides me all kinds of freedom for the work I do.

I do have a heavy duty swing arm, but mounting to the wall is not an option if you like to move around or move your office around from time to time. However, I no longer use the swing arm since even the smallest vibration trasmitted through the desk is a major pain in the kiester.

Fortunately I have a very sturdy and large right angle desk setup so room isn't much of an issue.

The refurbed 751 is tempting me!
                      Last edited by sburris; 10-06-2001, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Making Do

All this talk about 19" and 21"; $600 plus monitors has me drooling, but in my world I have to make do.

If anyone out there is living on a tighter budget and wants more viewing area you should look into setting up a CHEAP duel monitor system. All you need is a second video card (A special video card is required to run duel monitors) "I got mine new for $45.00"

Next you need a second monitor. I already had a 15" monitor for my computer so I bought a second 15" monitor (used) for $50.00

I installed the video card myself so my total costs were less than $100 (Canadian).

Compared to the price of a 19" or 21" monitor I've got a lot more viewing area for a lot less money.

Once you've used a duel monitor system you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. It's particularly great for doing tutorials. One screen has your work on it and the other monitor shows you how. For Photoshop I push all the floating palettes onto the second monitor and out of my way. Sure makes it easier to work.

Ron

Comment

Excellent suggestion. I never knew what the costs were in setting up a dual monitor set up but I did know it took some added hardware (video card and who knew what else) So this information was a great help to alot of people wanting more viewing area but having to stick on a budget.
                          DJ

Comment

DJ Here is a URL for more Dual Monitor Information and it has a link listing all the Dual Monitor cards recognized by Microsoft plus a good picture showing what a dual system looks like.

http://www.windows-help.net/features/dualmonitors.html

It's interesting to note that a number of new cards designed to run two monitors from one card are now available. For example I found an excellent 32MB card selling for $51.00 USD on the net.

Generally speaking the quality of a second monitor doesn't need to be as good as your primary display. A less costly second hand unit will usually fill the bill nicely.
                            Ron

Comment

Ron
                              Thanks for the link. I wondered what a dual monitor looked like in action. That is so neat. Thanks for the info too as I believe alot of people will benifit from it. I will have to check the site out further.
                              DJ

Comment