How to find a Scan-Tastic Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find a Scan-Tastic Scanner

Got this scanner info in e-mail and thought it offered some interesting info and links for someone considering the purchase of a new scanner.
    Check it out here
    DJ

Thanks DJ for the information. This is exactly want I needed as I am about to invest in a new scanner.

-T

Comment

I would suggest a serious consideration is how you intend on using the scanner. If you are going to spend hours scanning hundreds of pictures daily, make sure you get one that can scan quickly. If like me, you only do the occasional scan, you can save a fair amount of money by gettting one that is much 'cheaper' but will suit your purposes. Also, what are you going to use it for? If you are only going to use it to put images on the web (at 72dpi), gettting a 9600dpi scanner is pointless. Not only are file sizes incredibly huge (read - need lots of RAM and huge CPU), but the average best quality printer will be 600dpi. There are others with higher print qualities but you will pay for these accordingly. Alot of the work that I do is only at 300dpi.

It's kinda like going to the most expensive restaurant and ordering a hamburger. Might cost you $50, where as you'd be as satisfied if you went to the local burger joint and paid $2. As with anything you purchase, figure out your requirements and purchase accordinly.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• pavel123
        How essential are scanner specs
        by pavel123
        I apologize if I am asking an obvious (to anybody else) question.

I have a relatively old scanner (going 5 years or so back HP ScanJet 3400, it wasn't a high end scanner at that time). Can say I am happy with the quality of scanned images. Colors are off, images seem darker (which is a...
        11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
      • airubin
        Scanner Quality
        by airubin
        Hi All,

How good a quality scanner do you need for scanning B&W negitives and color prints?

I'm using a Umax2200, but I believe that it will probably not be good enough. I got a decent result on it with a print, but I was not too concerned about top notch quality....
        03-10-2003, 11:51 AM
      • G. Couch
        Finding a scanner's "sweet spot"
        by G. Couch
        Most consumer grade scanners have what is known as a "sweet spot"- an area where the scans will be at their sharpest, and with the least amount of noise. For most scanners this a narrow area running down the middle of the bed, but it can vary greatly from scanner to scanner. Higher end scanners...
        06-07-2002, 01:17 PM
      • akj
        HP Scanner
        by akj
        Just wondering if any of you out there are working with a HP scanner? When I bought my scanner I was heavy into web design so I really didn't consider buying a high-output-end scanner--of course now I'm regretting this decision.

I have a ScanJet 5300C and am reading all I...
        08-17-2001, 05:26 PM
      • Jon Foster
        Scanning Workflow
        by Jon Foster
        Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a quick search and only found threads that sent me off reading about other topics.

What is the suggested workflow for scanning pictures? I use a couple of flatbeds but can never seem to get images I'm happy with (I mean for like 12 years...
        03-11-2006, 06:31 PM
      Working...
      X