Dream Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Monitor

If you could have any monitor what would it be and why? Doug’s new purchase has given me the shopping bug…that and my monitor has been getting darker. Currently I have a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 and I have enjoyed it, but it is getting close to time to invest in a new one. I’ve heard for color management CRTs are still the way to go. Also one web article I read today talked about LaCie monitors which are suppose to be great for being true to color.

Ideas, thoughts, pros, cons, sites to look at, any information would be appreciated!

THANKS,

~T

My dream monitor used to be the Mitsubishi 2040. Then they discontinued it and I wanted the 2060. Then they discontinuted it and I finally got the 2070. I could only afford it because I saved $300 by getting a refurb. The only regret is that I couldn't also get the hardware calibration option (another $600).
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
      The only regret is that I couldn't also get the hardware calibration option (another $600).
      Ouch! That's a hefty option price.

Comment

PM,

The Samsung sounds like a pretty good model. I will add it to my review list along with Doug's Mitsubishi. Thanks for the info guys!.

~T

Comment

A friend recently bought one of the big Syncmasters, and is very happy with it. It had the smallest pixel pitch (.20 or .21, I forget which) of any of the big-screen CRTs he compared.
          Learn by teaching

Comment

I'll go with Mitsubishi monitors presently using a 19" Diamond Plus which is about 2 years old but Dougs comments on his new aquisition has wetted my appetite. I recently bought an Hitachi CML175SXWB(TFT) for WP, its excellent for office work but still well out of the running for PS work.

Did you new monitor come with a crane to lift it onto the desk Doug?

Comment

Chris: No crane, but the UPS driver had to help me into my house with the shipping box. Lifting it out and putting it on my desk wasn't that difficult (I'm a macho guy, 75lbs don't bother me ) but fine-tuning the placement on the desktop has proven to be just about impossible. It won't scoot at all, and has to be actually lifted to move it even 1/2".

One thing I didn't take into consideration was the depth of the unit. It's less an inch away from my back wall and is still at least 6" closer to my face. I still haven't decided if this is a bad thing (it's kind of fun to have almost edge-to-edge visual field coverage, but it can't be good for me).

Aside from the brightness (the "SB" in the name stands for "Super Bright", and I discovered a button on the front panel that can shift it into two even brighter modes) and the sheer size of things, the biggest adjustment for me is getting used to the flatness. I didn't even take that into consideration when comparing monitors, but it's making a huge difference for me in viewing (that would be a good difference).

One drawback to having this big of a screen is little flaws are visible. It's impossible to have perfect RGB alignment throughout the screen (even though there are a staggering amount of settings and controls for this, one even compensates for the Earth's magnetic field) and I've found tiny red and green outlines on the edges of some high-contrast content. They'd be invisible on a smaller monitor or if I used a higher resolution.
              Learn by teaching

Comment

21"? ....You guys think too small! My dream monitor....

Now if only I had $2000....

Comment

I thought I'd seen that Sony somewhere before!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Now that's a monitor...

Comment

I forgot to ask Doug what does the Mitsubishi cost in the US?

Comment

It's about $700, but I bought a refurb for $490. Shipping was another $50.
                        Learn by teaching

Comment

Goes for about £560 here which is roughly the same, rarely see refurb stock here.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I have narrowed it down between the Mitsubishi 2070 and the LaCie ElectronBlue IV.

Has anyone heard about the LaCie monitors? Pros/Cons? And the big question, is the color management option worth the investment (both monitors offer it)?

~T

Comment

I thought the LaCie were simply re-branded Mitsubishis.

As for the calibration unit, I asked Mitsubishi and they told me it could be added anytime later.
                              Learn by teaching

Comment