Scanner/ canon n1240u/ CIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner/ canon n1240u/ CIS

After some research I found canon n1240u scanner to fit my budget. Has anyone used this scanner? I would like to know your feedback.
    Though I read some good reviews about this one, I came across an article which said that the CIS(contact image sensor) used in this model has less tonal range compared to the CCD used in the other models. Can anyone tell me if this is perceivable or how much does it show up in the images? Do the scanner software perform levels correction in such a case or do I need to manually correct each image in some image editor?

Svsg

I had one a while back and thought the scans were fine as far as tonal range and color reproduction. The problem with the CIS for me, was the lack of any depth of field. Things have to be touching the glass in order to be in focus. That often required me to place a heavy book on top of the lid if I was scanning something that was not flat or oversized. Since I also scan a lot of artwork (hard to get this scanner to pick up the texture in some papers) and objects, I ended up replacing it with an Epson 2450.

I do not remember the software well enough to answer your other questions...but I recall it not being very good at the time. (could have gotten better by now though.)
    Last edited by G. Couch; 08-17-2003, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• pavel123
      How essential are scanner specs
      by pavel123
      I apologize if I am asking an obvious (to anybody else) question.

I have a relatively old scanner (going 5 years or so back HP ScanJet 3400, it wasn't a high end scanner at that time). Can say I am happy with the quality of scanned images. Colors are off, images seem darker (which is a...
      11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
    • jjhannon
      Scanner Recommendation
      by jjhannon
      Hello All!

I recently repaired a friends HP 5370C scanner. When testing it I found out it does a much better job than my Microtech scanner (6000 series) The detail and color accuracy is superior.

I am looking to update my flat bed scanner. I have a PC system with USB ports....
      06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
    • dimme
      Scanner for Kodachrome collection
      by dimme
      I just inherited the family photo collection of about 4 or 5 thousand 5mm Kodachrome slides. I plan to scan a lot of these. I know what I in for I was a drum & Imacon scanner operator for many years. I have tools to profile the scanner so I would like to do that also. I see a lot of old film scanners...
      06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
    • KevinBE
      Film Scanner
      by KevinBE
      I don't know if anyone is interested but I bought a Minolta Speed Scan film scanner on ebay. I just couldn't pass it up because of the price. I know it's discontinued from production but it had a suggested retail of 1299.00 and it has had some good reviews. I think the last street price of this scanner...
      08-22-2003, 07:50 PM
    • grammaat46
      Scanner selection and setup
      by grammaat46
      Hi everyone

I'm a graduate student who will be scanning in old letters from WWI soldiers as part of a project. The soldier's message is of course the primary concern but the aging of the paper and penmanship creates another aspect to the collection. I'm new to this and would appreciate...
      04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
    Working...
    X