Do I need a flatbed scanner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a flatbed scanner??

Hi, I do photo restoration as a hobby for family, friends and area retirement/nursing homes. It seems as we get older we become more transparent! The older 'clients' are very appreciative and seem to value their restored photo memories. My work is always cost and obligation free. I only scan and restore prints.

To date, I have been using all-in-one scanners (HP-2050 and more recently Canon PIXMA - MG2560). I consider myself a 'rookie' at restoration and really don't know if a flatbed scanner would offer any improvement in the outcome. I usually scan at 600 DPI (depending upon the size of the print and the desired enlargement size) and in tif. format . So my question, would scanning with a mid-price range ( less than $500.00) flatbed scanner offer significant improvements over the all-in-one scanners that I am using now?

OBTW - this will always be regarded as a hobby and done without charge. I have no thoughts of becoming a 'professional' restorer down track! I'm 77 and my track is already too short!!!

Thank you for your comments and recommendations!!

For photo restoration, I'd stick with what you have. The advantages of a more expensive dedicated scanner won't be needed for that. You might want to try VueScan from Ed Hamrick just to make sure you're squeezing out everything your scanner is capable of. There's a free trial version.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jkjohnst
      Best scanner for retouching/restoration work??
      by jkjohnst
      Hello!

I am just starting out with a photo retouching and restoration business. I'd like to purchase a new scanner that has all the range I will need for restorations. Obviously I'm looking for a scanner with great resolution, dynamic range and bit depth... but I'm at a loss with finding...
      01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
    • airubin
      Scanner Quality
      by airubin
      Hi All,

How good a quality scanner do you need for scanning B&W negitives and color prints?

I'm using a Umax2200, but I believe that it will probably not be good enough. I got a decent result on it with a print, but I was not too concerned about top notch quality....
      03-10-2003, 11:51 AM
    • zganie
      Scanning
      by zganie
      I see a lot of people here having trouble with there photos.The thing is your Scanner is like a copy camera.Originally when restoring photos they used a camera instead of a scanner which was specifically set up to do copywork,now Scanners are used.SO whats the point you ask? Learn how to use your Scanner,its...
      03-21-2008, 06:44 AM
    • DJ Dubovsky
      How to find a Scan-Tastic Scanner
      by DJ Dubovsky
      Got this scanner info in e-mail and thought it offered some interesting info and links for someone considering the purchase of a new scanner.
      Check it out here
      DJ
      09-24-2001, 10:40 PM
    • christo
      Flatbed Scanner Recommendations?
      by christo
      I am in the market for a new flatbed scanner (Mac). In the past I have been a dedicated Microtek supported, using the Scanmaker II, ScanMaker 600 SZ, ,the Scanmaker II HR and lastly the Scanmaker V6USL. While I liked the quality, performance and durability of the first three models, the last one, the...
      08-22-2003, 04:44 PM
    Working...
    X