New Printer Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Printer Purchase

I have two Epson printers: the 2000p and the C80. I do a lot of photo restoration and I also use my printers to create elements for collage work and altered books. Lately much of my work has been in black and white and sepia. The output from my 2000p has been very inconsistent and I am forced to use the C80 with Enhanced Matte paper for my restoration work. I am not satisfied with the quality of these prints. They are fine for the artwork but not for my restoration clients. I would like to buy a new printer to replace the 2000p and have been reading reviews of the 2200. It seems that the 2200 can have the same problems with B&W. I understand that Epson is going to introduce a new photo printer in the near future. Does anyone know anything about this new release? Should I purchase the 2200 or look elsewhere at other manufacturers? Should I wait for the new release from Epson? Lots of questions I know,but I need help.

Thanks
    Pat

For fine b/w output from many printers, check out http://www.piezography.com

It's the way I'd go if I had a spare printer I could dedicate to b/w. I've seen the prints in person, and they're gorgeous!
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

I'd seriously look at some of the Canon printers. I purchased a Canon i960 a couple of weeks ago. No B&W color shift like I had on the old Epson 1270. I even used the same Epson paper on both printers. The Canon is quieter, faster, and no nozzle cleaning....not yet anyway ....

Comment

The Epson R800 will be available soon at about $400. Its technology addresses some of the issues with the 2200, e.g., bronzing on glossy papers, and uses 8 re-designed cartridges.

Unfortunately, it only prints 8.5" wide, unlike the 2200.

I was considering the 2200 for the larger print size. Now, I don't know what to do.

I suspect Epson will incorporate their improvements some day in a model similar in size to the 2200.

I think I'll wait.

Comment

Dedicating a printer to B&W only is the way to go...as Doug mentioned, the results can be incredible! Dedicating an older Epson to this, allows you to use B&W inksets...where you can have Warm Neutrals, Cool Neutrals, Sepias, etc... When you combine those specialized inks with specific B&W drivers (see Doug's link) the results rival traditional dark room prints.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
            For fine b/w output from many printers, check out http://www.piezography.com

It's the way I'd go if I had a spare printer I could dedicate to b/w. I've seen the prints in person, and they're gorgeous!
            Doug, I looked up the piezography site and you are right the prints are beautiful. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can dedicate a printer to b&w and I'm having a hard time choosing which ink set I like the most. I think that I probably will wait for the Epson 4000 to appear in March and then make room for yet another printer. The 2000p is probably the best choice for dedicated b&w. At this time, it only supports bulk ink from "piezo". More choices are in the works though. They mention the 2200 and Canon printers. I was a little slow in replying. My son and his wife had twin boys this weekend and I am now a proud grandmother of 12. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by G. Couch
              Dedicating a printer to B&W only is the way to go...as Doug mentioned, the results can be incredible! Dedicating an older Epson to this, allows you to use B&W inksets...where you can have Warm Neutrals, Cool Neutrals, Sepias, etc... When you combine those specialized inks with specific B&W drivers (see Doug's link) the results rival traditional dark room prints.
              Greg, You are absolutely right. How do you choose? I love the look of the Warm Neutral and the Carbon Sepia.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by ExclamPt
                The Epson R800 will be available soon at about $400. Its technology addresses some of the issues with the 2200, e.g., bronzing on glossy papers, and uses 8 re-designed cartridges.

Unfortunately, it only prints 8.5" wide, unlike the 2200.

I was considering the 2200 for the larger print size. Now, I don't know what to do.

I suspect Epson will incorporate their improvements some day in a model similar in size to the 2200.

I think I'll wait.
                Check the Epson site and look at the 4000. It is a professional model and claims to be able to print saleable b&w. It's a little pricey at $1,795 but compared to other professional printers it seems reasonable. Especially if it accomplishes what Epson claims for it.

Pat

Comment

BW Printing - more sources

Well if you really want your head to hurt over choices, go over to the excellent Yahoo forum here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digita...WhiteThePrint/

You'll see lots of options are available including a low-cost, beginners setup using a C82 Epson printer and MIS cartridges. Takes a bit of searching and reading but there are some folks there that really know what they are talking about.

Linda

Comment

You can also look at http://www.photo-i.co.uk/ for a comprehensive review of the Epson R800. (click on the image of the printer to get to the printer review pages)

Comment