Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I hadn't recently purchased a scanner...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I hadn't recently purchased a scanner...

    I'd buy this one
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

  • #2
    Originally posted by Doug Nelson
    Definitely a nice looking scanner.

    - Noel

    Comment


    • #3
      Now if I could just justify that!

      Ed

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Doug Nelson
        Doug:

        What features/functions/whatever does this one have that you wish yours did?

        ~Danny~

        Comment


        • #5
          The Digital ICE system from Applied Science Fiction. Plus it has a bit higher rez and a few other new features, but the ICE is what I really want.
          Learn by teaching
          Take responsibility for learning

          Comment


          • #6
            Dmax went from 3.4 to 3.8. To me, that is impressive.

            Catia

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doug Nelson
              The Digital ICE system from Applied Science Fiction. Plus it has a bit higher rez and a few other new features, but the ICE is what I really want.
              Have you had a chance to use Digital ICE yet? I keep hearing about it, but I don't know anyone that actually has it.

              Is it as good as they claim? Anyone know?

              - Noel

              Comment


              • #8
                Yum! I haven't replaced my scanner in a while, so I can think about getting it.

                Here's a link to a partial review of this scanner -- http://www.photo-i.co.uk/ Click on the image of the scanner to get to the review.

                He also has a comprehensive review on the new Epson R800 printer.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CJ Swartz
                  Yum! I haven't replaced my scanner in a while, so I can think about getting it.

                  Here's a link to a partial review of this scanner -- http://www.photo-i.co.uk/ Click on the image of the scanner to get to the review.

                  He also has a comprehensive review on the new Epson R800 printer.
                  Thanks for that review!

                  Now I'll just have to wait for him to get to the digital ICE part

                  - Noel

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Check this review.

                    PCMag is your complete guide to computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review tech products and services, report technology news and trends, and provide shopping advice with price comparisons.


                    Catia

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by catia
                      Check this review.

                      PCMag is your complete guide to computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review tech products and services, report technology news and trends, and provide shopping advice with price comparisons.


                      Catia
                      Dang that scanner is sounding better and better.

                      Now just have to convince my partner of the need for "another" scanner

                      - Noel

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Noelf
                        Thanks for that review!

                        Now I'll just have to wait for him to get to the digital ICE part

                        - Noel
                        He's finished his review, and he likes Digital ICE --

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I had the Epson 4870 demo-ed for me today. My only scanner experience is an old Canon which never has worked terribly well (but I don't begrudge its cost even though it is a total lemon as it introduced me to the wonderful world of digital imaging). But the 4870 produced some really quite creditable scans of old kodachrome slides (from the look of the clothes taken in the 1960s - very contrasty and a little off in colour) As I didn't have all day to stand around I didn't have the scans done at full res - just enough to give a 5x7 at 300dpi. Which was remarkably quick.... I actually went in to have a look at the 3170, but there is a lot of difference between the two in quality on the scan of the same image.

                          Now I just need to find out if the OSX software actually works - it has that nasty little fine print "some features may only work in OSX classic..." . So far Epson have not responded to my email as to which features do not work....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Susan S.

                            Now I just need to find out if the OSX software actually works - it has that nasty little fine print "some features may only work in OSX classic..." . So far Epson have not responded to my email as to which features do not work....
                            Epson Australia can only give me a definite maybe as to what functions will work with 10.3. Apparently it definitely works with photoshop 7.0 (which I don't have) but only "should" work with the supplied Photoshop Elements 2 and they are working on new drivers which "should" improve things.... Given that Australian stores' return policies are much less generous than those that appear to be in force in the US, I guesss I will have to put a purchase on hold. Epson Australia refused point blank to give me anything in writing or email as to whether it would work on my machine, saying such an issue was "too complex" and insisted I talk on the phone to a tech - who was helpful but refused to committ to any guarantees of function. I might try and see if Epson US is more forthcoming as I've had a lot more help from them in the past. So far the macintosh support I've (not) received is discouraging me from the purchase...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              4870 pro software

                              The 4870 pro is listed on buy.com two ways. One is for $399.99, but it does not mention the ICE technology. It is also listed for $527.99 for the Pro software package.

                              Epson lists the ICE with both packages.

                              Does either one come with the ICE and is it worth the extra for the Pro software package?

                              Thanks,

                              Alan

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 175 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X