Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New "laptop" computer unveiled - "Hand-top"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "laptop" computer unveiled - "Hand-top"?

Want a computer that runs Windows XP, has a 1 GHz processor, 256MB of RAM, a 30GB hard drive, with a USB 2.0 port and integrated 802.11b/g?

Oh, and it only weighs a pound. One pound.
    That's because it's only 5.8"x 4"x 1" (148mm x 101mm x 26mm) with a 5.6"HDTV-quality display (1024 x 600)

http://minipc.vulcan.com/aboutproduc...zeandpower.asp

SEATTLE -- February 16, 2004 -- Vulcan Inc., founded by Paul Allen, announced today that it will preview FlipStart™ at DEMO 2004, the premiere forum for new product innovation. Previously debuted as Vulcan’s “MiniPC” prototype, FlipStart™ combines the performance and functionality of Windows® XP with the connectivity of wireless PDAs to provide users with continuous access to software, email, and the Web while on the go.

I want one!! I think I would still hang on to my iBook, but one of those would be nice for a spare

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by winwintoo
      I want one!! I think I would still hang on to my iBook, but one of those would be nice for a spare Margaret
      I'd need to make sure that it has a magnifier option on the screen. I got a PDA/phone combo last year, and can read the words on the screen only when I have my glasses on and am using the magnifying option; of course, this new computer has a larger screen than my PDA.

Comment

I always wonder if companies like this do any real research as to who would use such products and why...or do the engineers make all the decisions? How on earth is anyone going to type anything longer that short emails on this thing? Don't give up your laptop just yet...

My favorite quote from the site -

"After Peter passes around his FlipStart at dinner to show off videos of his dive in the Galapagos, he can head back to the office, attach a full-size monitor, keyboard, and mouse to his FlipStart for a traditional desktop experience, and start preparing his Q4 marketing budget for next week's board meeting. "

Ahh...now it makes sense. It's a toy made for really rich people!

Comment

Just wait till you can wear it on your finger!

Ed

Comment

Ever see Paul Allen's yacht? It was docked at a navy pier in New Oleans during Super Bowl week two years ago. I mistook it for a navy ship at first. :-) I'm sure whatever "Paul" touches will do well.

I'm holding out for the one that has electrodes that attach directly to your brain. No typing, glasses or magnifiers required.

Catia

Comment

Working...
            X