Scanner settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner settings?

I just bought an Epson 4870 scanner, and was wondering what would be the best way to scan my stuff. I was told no need to scan more then 300 dpi, with ICE, and at least 24 bit maybe even 48.

It all depends on what you are scanning and what the scan will be used for. Most prints are not going to contain much more info than what you would get from a 300 dpi scan...a newspaper or magazine image would have even less. If you are scanning transparent film however, you will need to scan at much higher resolutions order to obtain good results (if we are talking mostly about 35mm slides/transparencies).

Another thing to keep in mind is the intended use of the scan. If you are scanning a slide simply to post the image on the web, you likely do not need to scan at 4800dpi since all that additional info is going to be discarded anyway when the image is sized for the web.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mhamill
      scanning a 35mm?
      by Mhamill
      I'm trying to find the right way to do this.
      I have a 35mm strip of film. I need to scan it so that eventually I can print it as a 8.5 x 11. I want to bring it into PSCS & manipulate it first & then take it to be printed. My scanner does do negatives but I'm not sure how to enlarge it...
      06-13-2005, 10:55 AM
    • Stella
      Scanning Heritage Photos
      by Stella
      I will be scanning in a bunch of heritage photos. In most cases these are the only copies and the original negatives are long gone. Some of them are in pretty bad condition. Some are very faded.

I will be working on the photos in Photoshop, but what I would like at this time is some...
      12-13-2003, 04:40 PM
    • airubin
      Nikon ES4000 scanner
      by airubin
      I just got my new Nikon ES4000. It is too early to give you any meaningful comments as I’ve only spent about 1 hour of non-installation time with it. The Nikon techie suggested that I use as much memory as possible, so I upgraded my Dell laptop from 96 MB to 512 MB. I’ve been planning to do this...
      03-18-2002, 04:48 PM
    • LookingUp
      Can I scan slides?
      by LookingUp
      I might have another job coming in but I have to be able to scan slides. I have an Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner that is about 10 years old. How can I tell, or what do I need to be able to scan slides in?
      Thanks
      02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
    • imann08
      Oversized scans
      by imann08
      I may have to scan an image that is in the 25x21 area. I only have the standard 8.5x11. The one option that I know of is to scan it in pieces and then put it back together on PS. One thing I have read about that though is that you should scan each piece of the image in the same direction and with the...
      04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
    Working...
    X