Epson Perfection 4180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epson Perfection 4180

Hi all, I'm new to the fourm and to retouching. I need to buy a scanner and saw a good deal for the Epson Perfection 4180. The specs say it has 4800 x9600 dpi. Is that over kill for a novice? Thanks, Carl

I think it depends on exactly what you need to do with the scanner. If you need to be able to scan negatives, film, or slides you may need that kind of capability. For just scanning prints or documents that is overkill, in my opinion. I just bought the Epson 4870 and so far am very impressed. While it may be more scanner than I need this week, I am certain my needs will grow as time goes by.

I would check around for some reviews of that particular scanner...you can search the forums and see if anyone around here has commented on it. In general it seems folks are happy with their Epsons.

There may be someone else who can give you a more definitive answer to your question about now much scanner you need if you can give an idea of what you will be using it for.

Good luck!

Comment

using 4870 Photo

Hi,

I have been using the 4780 Photo scanner with very good results. I scanned some slides that compared with the reults that I obtained with a Nikon LS4000 scanner. If the dynamic ranges is about 3.8 or better, you should get good results.

Alan

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• PJ Staley
        scanner recommendation
        by PJ Staley
        I'm going to be purchasing a new scanner soon. The one I currently have does not scan negatives or slides. I don't want to purchase a sub-standard product. Any (expert) opinions would be most appreciated. Thank you!
        03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
      • cducasse
        Scanner Recommendations????
        by cducasse
        I have grasped most of the techniques for photo restoration. I am going to be doing it on the side for extra money as jobs come in. However, I am wondering what scanners you all are using, and which one would be the best. I am interested in the scan format output...Adobe RAW, JPG, EPS (preferred)....
        09-02-2006, 12:53 AM
      • Inspeqtor
        New Scanner
        by Inspeqtor
        I am considering purchasing the Epson 4990 as recommended to me here earlier on another thread. I have a question about this scanner, does it scan normal documents? The Epson website mentions "the flexibility of a flatbed scanner" but that does not tell me very much. I am sure some of you...
        02-17-2007, 09:43 AM
      • blue dog
        Need Better Neg Carriers for Epson Scanner
        by blue dog
        I am using an Epson 4490 scanner. I have a large pile of warpped negatives that won't lie flat. Does anyone know of better negative carriers that may be available?
        09-26-2006, 06:07 AM
      • nevets2001uk
        Scanner Recommendations
        by nevets2001uk
        I'm considering the purchase of a scanner for use in restoring old photographs. This is going to be a hobby / small sideline initially so I can only justify a relatively small amount of money. Ideally I'd be looking to spend under £150.

I've seen the Epson Perfection v350 and HP ScanJet...
        05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
      Working...
      X