Monitor calibration with Adobe Gamma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor calibration with Adobe Gamma?

I don't know much about calibration except if it looks and prints good it must be fine....
    Currently all I have to calibrate is Adobe Gamma, and just bought a Sony LCD HS75P monitor. Setting the black and white points seems to be no problem but I don't think I'm getting the gamma right. Everything looks great at 2.20 (windows default) but the strange thing is according to the grey square adjustment I should set the gamma at 1.60. When I set it at 1.60 the blacks go way too dark...

Right now I'm sticking with the 2.20 but will be worried I'm not seeing what others do!

I found this website
    http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/
    that has been helpful.

Any suggestions until I can invest in a better calibration system?

Stick with 2.2 and you'll match 90% of the monitors out there.

My best advice is to save your pennies for an i1 or Spyder calibrator.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Originally posted by Northernshadow

I found this website
      http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/
      that has been helpful.
      Great link! I got myself a Viewsonic 19" LCD (VP191) a few weeks ago, and could not get anything sensible out of Adobe Gamma (The slider in Adobe Gamma to determine the gamma setting did nothing so I gave up at that point), yet that site seems to suggest my settings are pretty much spot on. I would like to get my monitor well calibrated, but at the moment the results I am getting looking at test images seem good.

Comment

Thanks Doug, I have been looking at the Spyder... I guess I'll just have to decide if it will be a necessity! It will all come out in the print!

Caitlin, I'm glad it helped you out!

I also looked have at other thread about calibration and have learned a lot, the info and links were extremely helpful!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• keshiv
          Adobe Gamma and SyncMaster 172N
          by keshiv
          I have a Sumsung SyncMaster 172n and the manufacture says there are no phosphors numbers.

This is an LCD flat screen.

It comes with a program called Natural Colors that is supposed to make what you see on your monitor and what prints on your printer the same.
          10-12-2003, 09:29 PM
        • Schwartzie
          Need calibration help
          by Schwartzie
          In the past i have had monitors that didnt have a profile and I calibrated with Adobe gamma and everything turned out just about dead on.

My monitor died and I got a Viewsonic Graphics series. It comes with a profile of its own which is what photoshop lists in the adobe gamma. Now for...
          01-19-2003, 11:54 AM
        • bloex2003
          Adobe Gamma with Elements 2
          by bloex2003
          I am looking for help on using the Adobe Gamma in Ele.2.
          Basically a newbie tutorial to get me going. Richard, I've ordered your book and wish to thank you on your dedication in helping the growing masses of newbies with understanding the ins and outs of photo retouching. Speaking for myself,...
          06-28-2003, 06:01 AM
        • Peg
          Monitor Calibration
          by Peg
          Upon writing to Gateway to learn info I needed for calibrating my monitor, I got the following return:

I see from your message that you wish to
          know the Phosphorus coating and Gamma specifications of the computer.

Peggy, unfortunately, I cannot provide these details....
          03-18-2003, 06:04 AM
        • cinderella
          Calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor
          by cinderella
          Hello Old Friends,
          I turn to you in desperation.
          I'm having a lot of difficulty calibrating my LG W1952Q flat monitor. I've tried several free techniques including Adobe Gamma. Others were from scarse.org and quick gamma.
          After reading your tut on AG I wonder if running Adobe Gamma...
          05-17-2009, 01:52 PM
        Working...
        X