Trouble with Chapter 5 in Katrin's book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Chapter 5 in Katrin's book

In a few of the forums, several people have mentioned difficulty getting good results in Katrins Eisman's book on various chapter lessons. I knew there was a part that I did that was specifically troublesome to me and as I was flipping through the pages I finally found it.

Did any one get the moire' lesson in chapter 5 to work out? It's the one with the postcard of the tree with the lines going through it. Of all the ones I had trouble with, that one didn't work for me at all. The photo kept getting smaller and smaller but the pattern stayed there. I was wondering if anyone was sucessful with that one and can work with me to see what I was doing wrong. I'd like to know because if it works it could be a very useful technique.

Thanks for your help.

DJ

me too or me either deej. i'm curious to know if having 5.5. not 6 could have anything to do with it. i know i did that one over @ least 3x, really don't want to go near it again.

Comment

Hi Kathleen,
      Thanks for the quick response. Bummer though, I was really hoping that one actually worked. You may be right and 5.5 could have something to do with it but I don't recall having to work around any instructions to accomodate them to 5.5 as I had in a few other cases. I guess I did follow directions if you had trouble too. Thanks again for the input.
      DJ

Comment

I didn't do that one yet. Maybe I'll just stay away?

Ed

Comment

No you don't Ed. You can't get off that easy. Besides I need to know if you experience the same thing I did.
          DJ

Comment

walk the plank, buddy

Comment

Okay I walked the plank, and fell off! I gave it a try, and I have to agree with you. It just didn't work. I noticed she said to scan the image at 3 - 4 times the finished size for output, and I was using the smaller file. It doesn't seem to me that this would have an effect on it, but might that possibly have something to do with it?

Ed

Comment

Well I gave it a whirl myself and never could get it to work.

Now somebody has just got to figure this one out as I agree with DJ it would be very useful.

Comment

Ed
                  I downloaded the big file and went beyond the amount of times she "smalerized" is, as my son used to say, and I still got nothing. Sounds like we found a legitimate glitch in the book. Time to e-mail Katrin?
                  DJ

Comment

Maybe. But it's your turn. I've e-mailed her three times already -- don't want to be a pain.

Ed

Comment

Hi Doug,

The problem with the technique is that I did it on a higher resolution file than I posted on the website. It does work - although I like using the scanner software the most to remove moiré.

I apologize to ALL who have been frustrated with the technique.

Katrin
                      Learn by teaching
                      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

OOPs she just got another e-mail on this one. Luckily she's a real sweet person and hopefully won't mind.
                        DJ

Comment

I thought I would let you know that Katring Eismann responded to my e-mail with the same response that Doug just posted. I thought it was really nice of her to respond so quickly. I have e-mailed her in the past and she always responded right away. I also know that Marni had e-mailed her about her wedding photos and she was more than eager to help her with what was a devastating problem. I just thought it would be nice to point out how nice she was in responding to our questions. I know alot of authors you would be lucky to get anything but a form letter sent by some secretary.

Ed and Tom said in the thread "How do you do it" that when someone likes your work they tell one person but if they hate your work they tell everyone. Just thought I would break that rule.
                          DJ

Comment

Just thought I'd pipe up and say I was discouraged by this lesson too. I was actually checking the forum for something else and found this thread. Thanks for posting the problem and result.

Doh.

Comment

I agree that Katrin is eager to please, and I think we are all thankful for that. I thought I had written to her three times, but it was actually four. Each time she responded very quickly. You can't ask for much more than that.

Ed

Comment