Custom Backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Backgrounds

Does anyone know how Katrin made the studio background used for the wedding backdrop in Chapter 7? Is this just a photograph of an actual studio backdrop? I know she outlines how to make the backgrounds, but this is used mostly for potraits and not for people standing. You need a slanted effect on the bottom otherwise everyone is floating in mid-air. I know there are probably backdrops you can buy on CD but I'd rather make my own if the option is there.

Thanks
    Amanda

Looks like a photo to me. I've created backgrounds before, but just gradients and old hollywood-style light washes.

Anyone know Laurie Thompson? (the retoucher for that example)
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Good idea for a project. I suppose you can start by creating a solid colored canvas with some kind of textured effect and then draw a rectangular marquee selection around the bottom fourth to change that into a floor. My guess is that somehow working with shapes, patterns or gradients the slant perspective can be achieved.Drop shadows can also be added if need be. Will try this out later .

Comment

Might be a good thing for the archive. Hi-rez backgrounds.

Anyone also work as a photographer or friendly with some? Maybe we can get some scans of just empty backgrounds.

I've also seen somewhere techniques using tools such as 'add noise' and 'clouds' to make those mottled-color backgrounds such as in Katrin's book. But every time I try I just make a mush
        Learn by teaching

Comment

I think those high-rez backgrounds would be ideal for the archives. Not that I have anything in mind, but what resolution would you accept for that?

Ed

Comment

My initial reaction is 'same as the rest', but upon reflection I'm thinking 'whatever we can get'
            Learn by teaching

Comment

Does this mean larger file sizes are okay?

Ed

Comment

Well, until we get a more advanced system in place, I can only accept up to 4.5 meg via email.

I assumed you were wondering if they could be smaller
                Learn by teaching

Comment

No, I was thinking about the people who might want to make some super sized prints. But I guess if you zipped the file, you could probably get a pretty big file that way, huh?

Ed

Comment

I'm only guessing here, because I've never actually done it, but I'm thinking a background would tend to be a little bit blurrier than the foreground, so you could probably get by with a lower-rez version than your main image, or a more compressed JPG.
                    Learn by teaching

Comment

Good point.
                      DJ

Comment

That sounds like an easy way to limit depth-of-field. No wonder you're the janitor!

Ed

Comment

Working...
                        X