Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a Restoration Course

Well, I've taken the plunge.
    I've applied to teach a continuing education class at a local university.
    They liked my idea for their Spring semester, and sent me a teachers packet to complete and return. However, there is still an interview process, and certain hardware and software issues to discuss.
    I thought it might be interesting, educational, and perhaps helpful if I chronicled the whole process, including the course.
    But before I do that, I should see if there is an interest.
    What say you all?

I'm interested. I like to hear how it goes and perhaps even your step by step approach to what you are going to teach.

~T

Comment

I hope you're able to do this. It sounds great. Please do chronicle for us.

Some questions I've thought of when considering whether to do this myself:

How to guarantee it doesn't turn into a basic Photoshop course instead? (they'll say they know it, but one "what's a channel" could sink the entire hour)
      Mac? PC? Photoshop or Elements or both?
      Would you use a textbook? Which one?
      Lecture or lab (that is, will you be up front demonstrating while they take notes, or will they all have their own computers?)
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

One more vote to chronicle the process. Good luck in working out the details; there will be challenges, I'm sure, but it will be a great experience for you and the students.

Comment

I'm VERY interested in this Vikki! I have been talking about trying to teach a digital art class at the local community/art center and would love to hear how your experience goes.

Comment

Great!
            I think what I'll do is, post my steps/progress.
            Whatever happens I'll journal - good and bad.
            Hopefully the whole thing won't fall throught the floor when I tell them I need computers (they have other computer classes on the schedule, so I imagine it isn't a problem - we'll see)

Here's my initial plan:
            This will be a basic restoration course. (Perhaps and "Advanced" class will be down the road).
            The class will meet twice a week 6-9, for 4 weeks, for a total of 8 sessions.
            I haven't determined the price yet (suggestions welcome).
            ...I will receive 35% of income from this course (gotta be doing this for the love of it)
            1-Introduction and Calibration
            2-Scanning and Resolution
            3-Color and Tone Adjustments
            4-Damage Repair Techniques
            5,6,7-Bring in your own photo to work on.
            8-Saving and Printing

I'm debating about what software to use. I am leaning toward Adobe Elements for the following reasons:
            With a student discount, it is very affordable
            It will introduce people to Adobe products, without scaring them
            It has enough features to do simple to medium type restorations

All your input is welcome!

Comment

Good for you Vikki. Best of luck in your undertaking. It sounds like you've got things in the proper order. Just a couple of things you might want to consider:

The size of the class -- it seems to me that it might be advantageous for you to start your first class as a rather small one, in order for you to be able to work out any unexpected problems you might have. Class size could be increased as you get more comfortable with it.

I think Doug hit on something too. Will you have some kind of test or criteria to allow someone to sign up for the class? Someone who doesn't know how to save a file *could* decide to take the class because they have a bunch of pictures of the kids that have seen better days.

By the way, I think you'll make an excellent teacher.

Ed

Comment

If you use Elements, those that already have Photoshop will be able to do all the things you demonstrate (but not vice-versa).

Do continuing education students get a student discount?
                Learn by teaching

Comment

One more vote for your chronicle here.

I've wanted to do something like that too, but my plans for it are currently buried under a landslide of things that pay better and offer more security. Still, someday, I hope....

It would be nice to have a sort of roadmap from someone who's already been there...

Comment

I taught basic photography for two semesters a lifetime ago. I enjoyed the heck out of it, but that second semester was a big drain on me. I hate being repetitive.

I hate being repetitive.
                    Learn by teaching

Comment

This is great. I feel like I have a secret stash of teachers aides!
                      The paperwork does ask about prerequisites and maximun number of students.
                      I will most likely require some basic computer knowledge. As long as they know how to use a mouse, and follow instructions, I think we'll be ok (famous last words, right?)
                      I don't plan on getting into anything heavy, I will merely show people how to use the software, techniques, scanner, and printer for this project only. I will not be diversing at all. I do not want to get bogged down with technical stuff. To me, this should be fun, and productive. If any of you have read my tutorials, that might be an indication of my style.
                      I will be making up my own texbook, so that when they leave, they will be able to follow, step by step, and duplicate the processes.
                      From a teaching standpoint, I would like to keep the class small, so I would guess that 20 people would be the max. Tuition wise, I would like about 150 students.
                      I don't mind getting up in front of a large crowd when I know what I'm talking about, and have an eager audience (the great thing about continuing ed classes are that the students are willing participants).
                      Re: student discounts - I'm not sure if continuing ed qualifies, but I can't imagine why not - they are at a university......

Comment

Ed's pre-class test is a great idea. You could identify the people who are more technically advanced and then split the class into small groups- teaming up the more advanded person with some of the less technical people. That way people will not only be learning from you but also from people within their group as well. ...just an idea...

Comment

That is a great idea. I like the idea of teaming students to help each other.
                          I'm not too sure about the test part though. I'd hate to start the class with a test, and have someone fail it! (Not quite the atmosphere I'm looking for.)
                          Anyone want to suggest some fun ways to test for skill level?
                          Keep in mind that I'm not requiring anything more than basic computer experience.
                          My lesson will be something like:
                          "Let's start by double clicking on the Elements icon......."

Comment

Vikki,
                            I'm so happy for you. It sounds like you're really thinking this through and have a good start already in your plans. It's a fantastic opportunity and I think you will do very well with it. You got some great advice from the members here and you always know you're not alone if things get difficult. We will be there to help any way we can. Keep us informed as you go along. It will be exciting to follow along with you.
                            I think you have a good idea going with Elements rather than PS because the cost difference is so vast and for beginning level that's all they need and it's something they can afford.

Good luck. Be confident. You definately have the talent to do this and do it well.
                            DJ

Comment

I'd probably make a sheet with basic computer skills mentioned explicitly, hand it out at beginning of first class (or include it in any pre-class papers), and tell them it's their job to make sure they know how to do everything on that sheet so they don't hold back the rest of the class by asking "what's the difference between a file and a folder?" or "how do I copy and paste something?"

And also specify which computers you'll be teaching on, so that they don't sign up knowing Macs and sit in front of PCs, or vice versa.

Plus, make sure there are funds to have licenced versions of whatever software you use on each machine. (personally I'd go with a lecture course using a projection device for my monitor)
                              Learn by teaching

Comment