Scanning Basics 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning Basics 101

Everything you ever wanted to know about scanning, resolution, scaling and resampling by Wayne Fulton.

"The purpose is to offer some scanning tips and to explain the basics for photos and documents. It is about the fundamentals of digital images, about the basics to help you get the most from your scanner. How it works, for those that want to know".

"Included here are the general questions that we've all asked about digital images, but unfortunately, that other sources don't answer. The material is about the basics, and is appropriate for the beginner. The content is certainly not superficial, but it is not at all difficult either, it is just simply about how it works. It describes in plain language the things we need to know to be efficient and get the most from our images, in the various ways that we can use them".

http://www.scantips.com/

This is must know information for anyone working with digital images..

PS: Move down the page until you see "Contents" and "Scanning 101 - The Basics". Also check out "Scanning 201" covering more advanced topics and try the Scanning/Printing Calculator.

Ron....

Related Topics

Collapse

• liquid_katfish
    Do u lose quality when scanning ??
    by liquid_katfish
    Hello,

I'm about to scan in over 100 images that are about 50 years old and i had a person tell me that i may lose quality when scanning the images and that some of the photos may lose the whole image because of the paper its been printed on.

Now before i start scanning...
    07-30-2007, 10:53 PM
  • Blueline
    Scanned images color problems. Please Help!
    by Blueline
    I've started scanning all my old album artwork and have noticed a brightish line running through all of my pictures and I can't seem to figure out how to stop it from happening.
    It seems to be caused by the calibration bar (?) in the centre of the scanner, whatever part of the image is placed...
    06-09-2009, 06:48 AM
  • copperman
    Scanning techniques
    by copperman
    Sometimes the scan you use can make a huge difference in how you approach a photograph. This is a demonstration of how two scanners can differ so greatly. [details]
    02-05-2004, 09:41 PM
  • Flora
    Easy Scanning
    by Flora
    Troubled about scanning a photo for manipulation and printing? ... Read on... [details]
    07-07-2008, 04:54 AM
  • Pixeljockey
    Help scanning photos with silver in them!
    by Pixeljockey
    HI.

I have some old prints I’d like to work on that have silver in them. Whenever I scan them the silver creates a stippled white haze over the darker portions of the image.

I have Katrin’s book and have actually spoken with her. I was fortunate enough to ask her the...
    06-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Working...
X