Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox

Awhile back when we were having problems with spyware someone here suggested Firefox. I am thinking of using it but have some questions first.

If Idownload it does it take over for IE ? Meaning will I still have that browser on my computer as well after I put Firefox on ? If both are installed on here can I go back and forth if I want to?

Has anyone here used it and if so could you please comment on it and the pro's and con's. Silly question here but will ask anyway. Will I still have my same e-mail program , I use Outlook Express. Any information given will be greatly appreciated. Neb

Originally posted by nebgranny
    If Idownload it does it take over for IE ?
    Not necessarily, you choose which browser will be default.
    Meaning will I still have that browser on my computer as well after I put Firefox on ? If both are installed on here can I go back and forth if I want to?
    No problem at all. You can even have them both open at the same time
    Has anyone here used it and if so could you please comment on it and the pro's and con's.
    Big pro - you can open a new link as a tab on the browser page, if you press <ctrl> at the time it's automatic and you don't leave the page you were on. So when you open the forum page you just go clicking away on everything you want to open. You won't want to go back to IE after that.
    Small con - there are a few incompatabilities, but every day they are less
    Will I still have my same e-mail program , I use Outlook Express.
    No problem
    Any information given will be greatly appreciated. Neb
    My pleasure.
    I think Gary knows a lot more about this, so maybe he'll be along soon to help out some more.

Comment

Hi Neb,

Firefox is a stand alone browser, it does not prevent you from using IE if you want.

When you install it, it asks if you want to make it your default browser, by clicking yes, you just make it the 1st browser your PC will try to open, it will not compromise IE in any way.

Once installed, read the help files. There is an import function, that allows you to install all your settings from IE. So all your Favorites (they're called Bookmarks in Firefox), your e-mail client settings etc are copied over to Firefox (you can still use them from IE). Outlook Express (or any other e-mail client) is opened from the toolbar just like IE.

Advantages of Firefox:- Tabbed Browsing, Popup Blocker, Inbuilt Google Search Button (can be extended to include other Search Engines), Better Security (Active-X components don't apply in Firefox, and most spyware (but not all) has not been written for it).

Because of the lack of Active-X, some web functions are not available for Firefox, but these are few and far between.

Firefox can be extended, to enable a whole host of features, by installing free plugins from the homesite. There is one that enables you to open IE by right clicking, I recommend this, as it makes it easy to open the odd page that does'nt run fully in Firefox.

Another plugin I have is a Javascript blocker, that allows me to only allow Javascript to be enabled on trusted sites (like here at RP) thus making it even more secure.

I've been using it for a couple of years, during that time I've had absolutely no spyware infestation, despite browsing some pretty dubious sites at times.

Hope this helps you decide to install. Any more questions just post, I'll be glad to help if I can.

Comment

For a more enhanced web tabbed browser which retains more compatibility with IE I suggest Avant Browser (it’s freeware).

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Comment

Silly question here but will ask anyway. Will I still have my same e-mail program , I use Outlook Express. Any information given will be greatly appreciated. Neb
          I've gone over to Thunderbird (Mozilla's email software). It's way better than Outlook Express. Has a wonderful feature of identifying what you regard as junk. It can also be set up so that mail does not open automatically in a viewing pane.

As others have said, tabbed browsing is really great.

Comment

I'd definately agree with all of the above. I only use IE now for pages that have been optimized to work with that browser only. Firefox is a much better browser and is updated much more frequently than IE.

Comment

My Two Cents

I really bet on Firefox, I repair computers all the time and most of the Adware [Malaware] is targeted for IE...
              So my 2 Cents go for Firefox...

Comment

I'd just like to add that there's no way to get rid of IE (if you wanted) if you're using a windows PC. It's needed to download the many updates and security patches from microsoft.
                I recommend firefox to anyone, it's extremely easy to use and as Gary stated, there's a lot of plug-ins that can be added to enhance it's browsing features.
                And once you start using tabbed browsing, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
                I also have been using thunderbird for a while and i've had absolutely no problems with it.

Comment

Ok, I finally decided to make the switch to Firefox. I have been looking through all the customizations and all, setting preferences, etc. When I first got it installed I was able to view the pull out menu on the RTP home page, but when I did the black background would flicker or turn white. Now the menu is gone altogether. Can anyone help me with this? Gary? WHere are ya, dude, I need ya - lol.

Thanks,
                  Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by 1STLITE
                    Ok, I finally decided to make the switch to Firefox. I have been looking through all the customizations and all, setting preferences, etc. When I first got it installed I was able to view the pull out menu on the RTP home page, but when I did the black background would flicker or turn white. Now the menu is gone altogether. Can anyone help me with this? Gary? WHere are ya, dude, I need ya - lol.

Thanks,
                    Dawn
                    Yes, I have noticed the same problem with the home page. The color of the background changes from white to grey. I suppose it is a compatibility issue.

Comment

Hi Dawn,

If you've lost the menu for RP, its because you haven't got java enabled.

Go to Tools/Options/Web Features and click on the Enable java box.

If you have downloaded the Javascript Block plug in, add RP to permitted sites.

To do this, click on the Script Block Icon (Circle with diagonal line through) found at the bottom right of your page. Click to enable RP. Click Options to view all sites where javascript is permitted. Note: denying permissions to sites you have already given permission to, often causes Firefox to crash. Minor problem as this is not something you're likely to do too often. Works fine otherwise.

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by Gary Richardson; 05-28-2005, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Well, since I am all for better security, I am going to stick it out and give this a good try. But even after having allowed Java and allowed Java Scripts for the site, I still do not have the pull out menu. Its opk though I just set the home page to the forums. lol Just like anythign new though it takes time to get used to. But I am trying to be patient, which is not one of my strong points - lol.

Thank for your help, and for the recommendation of this browser. THis was about the thousandth time I had heard of it and heard it recommended so I finally decided to make the leap over. TY muchly!

Dawn

Comment

Any changes made to Firefox only apply once you have closed it and re-opened it, can't understand otherwise, why menu won't open.

Will see if I can think of anything else.

Just been thinking, I said click on Enable Java, when what I meant was Enable Javascript.

Java is not needed for the RP menu. In any case, you'd have to first download the Java plug-in first.

So, check that the Enable Javascript is checked, its in Tools/Options/Web Features. Check OK to save.

Now exit from Firefox, then Start it up again, this will instigate the change. You should now see the RP menu.
                          Last edited by Gary Richardson; 05-30-2005, 02:11 AM. Reason: Added corrections to earlier advice.

Comment

I just want to add this:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...d,48080,00.asp

Yes, there's some bugs in Firefox, but in the long run, is better to work with Firefox...

Comment

I've been using Firefox for about six months. Prior to the switch, each time I ran spybot or ad-aware the screen filled up with issues. Since I have been using Firefox, it's usally a big green tick congratulating me that no immediate threats were found. Highly recommended

Darren

Comment