Scaling Photos in Photoshop 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaling Photos in Photoshop 6.0

I take lots of photographs and often pick the better ones to scan (from a 4x6), scale and print in 8x10. I think I figures out the proper resolutions to use for scanning (1/3 of the print resolution). I am confused about the best way to upscale a photo in Photoshop. There are two paths that I've seen:

1. Use the Image/Image size dialogue box. I set the horizontal size to 8" and the vertical size jumps to 12", so I know I'll need to crop 2". I use the bicubic re-sample option and go for it. Once the picture is scaled, I figer out the best 2 " to crop and then priont an 8x10 . This works pretty well.

2. There is a sub-menu under the help menu called resize image. It takes your through a resizing wizard of sorts which asks questions which make little sense to me. It seems this is the way Photoshop recommends to do this, but I can't make sense of the directions.

Any recommendations on what works best?

Jeff

Hey welcome to Retouch. If your resolution is around 300 ppi you should be able to increase the size with out up sampling by going to Image Size and uncheck the Resample Image box. That will cause your resolution to lower to about 150 ppi as you type in the new dimensions but Photoshop won't have to add info that isn't already there and it should print at 8x10 with no visual difference.
    DJ
    Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 01-15-2002, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I scan at 800ppi which is 1/3 of my printer's (HP Deskjet 990cse) max resolution 2400pi.

Comment

That's great. Then there is no reason to have to resample. 300 was about the minimum size you could enlarge to 8x10 without having to resample. I don't like to resample if I can avoid it. You should be fine resizing when you scan at 800.
        DJ

Comment

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Rhonda
            [Definition] Resize vs. Resample
            by Rhonda
            When changing the size of an image, what's the difference between resizing and resampling? Is one better than the other? In one of the forums on scanning it was suggested to scan high and resize (but not resample) and that confused me. Thanks.
            09-14-2002, 03:03 PM
          • David M
            DPI? Fuji s5600 settings
            by David M
            Hi all I`m using potoshop cs2,and taking my photos on a fuji s5600 5.1 million pixel camera in normal mode.
            When I start to work on the photo`s I reduce there size to 6x4inches and set the resolution to 432dpi,when I print them out they are sharp and clear.
            What I want to know is what...
            09-04-2006, 04:58 PM
          • vickatter
            size and resolution
            by vickatter
            Hi!

First Question:
            I'm a little mixed up with the way I can increase a file size.
            I had to do a few posters yesterday and I needed a final file of 70x100cm in 200dpi. The thing is that the pictures that I was using were a little smaller than that, so somebody at the studio...
            01-09-2008, 03:12 AM
          • timmy1729
            Resolution affect print size?
            by timmy1729
            I have a picture of me and my brother that I fixed up. It was a polaroid from 1979 and wasn't that big to begin with. Not knowing what I was doing, I scanned it at 600 dpi thinking that it would allow me to print it as at least a 4x6. Well, I started setting it to print last night in Photoshop CS3 and...
            08-14-2008, 07:20 AM
          • zbgump
            resizing and resolution
            by zbgump
            I have a basic question that I should know the answer to. I'm working some pics my friends took with their digi cam to be sent to shutterfly. These images are being shrunked down by quite a bit.

My questions is, is their any gain or loss by increasing the resolution when I decrease...
            12-02-2002, 09:22 PM
          Working...
          X