Another Action Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Action Question

Yep, I'm back with another Photoshop action question. One of these days, I just might get the hang of these doggone things.

In one of the threads on the Photo-based Art forum on this site, someone had posted an action. It was either in that post, or in a subsequent one, that the author also posted a text file which listed each and every step, in order, and using the same nomenclature that you would find in an actual action sequence.

My question is, how can one generate such a list? Was this other person able to do so because he was the author and simply typed the steps, in order, from memory? Or, is there a way anyone can take an action and generate such a list?

It would be immensely useful in dissecting an action that someone else created so that I can more readily find out how the final results were achieved. Knowing this, I could then create my own action, using the parameters that I want/need for my own use....

Once again I would appreciate any insight/info that you would be willing to share. Thank you, in advance, to each of you who respond.

Scribe

I am still learning myself when i get the time, but hope someone comes to help as i would love to know too.

I have heard that there is a script plugin for photoshop which might help, its a freebie you can google and then download.

I am going to add a link its a super duper website i find invaluable.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...shop-tutorials

You will have so much fun on that site learning the tutorials, and even adding your own ideas to them.

Ella

Comment

Scribe,

Have a look at this thread, seems to be what you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks, Rô, for fishing out that thread link.

Scribe...

In a nutshell (as described in the other thread) you'll offload the Actions Palette into a text file (.txt). Then use any text editor or word processing program to open the text file and delete all the text before/after the specific action you want to isolate.

Comment

Thank you

Scribe...

In a nutshell (as described in the other thread) you'll offload the Actions Palette into a text file (.txt). Then use any text editor or word processing program to open the text file and delete all the text before/after the specific action you want to isolate.[/QUOTE]

Thank you , Rô. And thank you, Danny. That thread gave me the answer. I have already isolated the one I wanted. Now, I just have to figure out what some of those steps mean.

Thanks again,

Scribe

Comment

re: Now, I just have to figure out what some of those steps mean.

The good news: About 85% of the time the commands/settings recorded make sense and correspond to menu commands, e.g., Dry Brush, Levels, etc.

The bad news: Some commands, such as File > Save for Web, record as something completely unintuitive, such as "Export."

Another example: Translating a Text command takes a Ph.D in Photoshop.

Glad you're moving down the road again. If you get stuck or have questions, you know (now) where to ask.

Comment

Beware when doing this, as not ALL of the steps from a action are printed out to the text file.
              Wish I could remember which ones. When I find my notes from the beta's I'll let everyone kknow.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cricket1961
                Beware... when doing this...not ALL of the steps [are written to] the text file.

When I find my notes from the betas I'll let everyone know.
                Very interesting...

Betas for which versions?

Comment

CS2 down to 2.

But I am thinking that only CS2 is applicable here?

Chris

Comment