No announcement yet.

Painter vs. Photoshop

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• DannyRaphael
    Photo painting using Painter 8
    by DannyRaphael
    As you may have read elsewhere, I've taken the plunge and acquired Corel Painter 8. I'm in the process of working my way through a "Painter Basics" tutorial. I got bored and distracted and yielded to temptation to play instead of sticking to the tutorial.

Knowing what I can...
    08-25-2003, 09:36 PM
  • sponge03
    Who uses COREL PAINTER???
    by sponge03
    I'm thinking of buying corel painter to improve my photo based art.

If you have got painter, what do you think of it?

Eg,.... is it easy to use?

....are you happy with the results?

Or is there any other suggestions on how to create good digital...
    04-23-2009, 06:25 AM
  • mikajomc
    Painter Essentials question
    by mikajomc
    My birthday is coming up and I am considering Painter Essentials 4.

I currently use Photoshop CS2. I also have Deep Paint and Painter Essentials 2. PE2 came with my Wacom. I haven't liked it very much. I seem to do much better with Photoshop. Every time I read about some technique to...
    02-16-2008, 04:37 PM
  • DannyRaphael
    Impressionist plugin: Impressionist and Painter 8
    by DannyRaphael
    Before:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/28428051

After (Original zoomed for detail).
    http://www.pbase.com/image/28428072

I really like the way you can make images look "painted" in Corel Painter. I'm experimenting (again) with starting out with images...
    04-29-2004, 04:48 AM
  • Jin
    Software: Corel Painter 8.1 patch, Tutor Alley forum, Jinny Brown, Painter resources
    by Jin
    Jinny Brown is one of the premier users / teachers of Painter. She's a regular contributor to numerous Painter venues, including the Corel Painter newsgroup and very deservedly is held in very high regard by the Painter community. ~Danny~

========

Hi Neve,

11-21-2004, 08:53 AM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painter vs. Photoshop

I want to know what the differance and/or advantage is of Painter vs. Photoshop for digital art/paintings?

I have worked exclusivly with Photoshop and have not tried Painter. I want to be able to make more "painted" photographs and refine my skills. I have seen many photos on this site which state the color changes where done in Photoshop but the painting with Painter. Would the Painter users out thier give me thier opinion of the two programs and benefits of Painter?

I can honestly say that it feels like I am experimenting with Photoshop everytime someone asks for the painted look. I can't seem to find a technique or filter that I am happy with. I have tried Photoshop WOW which has some brushes and samples options for making painted images, but they are time consuming and I have not been thirlled with the results. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am attaching a photo of my daugher, please feel free to show a sample of your technique with this image. I have also attached a quick "painted", soft look that I did in Photoshop.

This image and all alterations are copyrighted by Robin Ludwig.
    Last edited by RL Design; 09-09-2009, 04:44 PM.

not "vs", it's "and"

Robin, as soon as I saw the title I was already responding.....

Each program is remarkable in it's own area. Photoshop, as you very well know (congratulations on the contest win, again), is perfect for all sorts of image adjustments. You can go on forever learning new tools and new methods for working images.

However, when it comes to Artistic Painting then the tool to use is Painter. With Photoshop you can mimmick real painting, in Painter you actually do real painting. The Painter folks have worked really hard and have been wonderfully successful in transfering to the digital screen the whole painting experience - but without getting you fingers dirty.

On the other hand, although Painter has quite a range of tools for image adjustment they just can not compare with the Photoshop tools that have been fine tuned at each edition.

This means that the favoured workflow for those who want to Paint is:
    1) Photshop to adjust the base image;
    2) Painter, for the brush strokes;
    3) Photoshop, for the final adjustments.

To sum it up, Painter is great if you have some idea of how to paint or, at least, are prepared (and have the patience) to learn some new skills.

Comment

Thanks Ro... It sounds like I need to take a serious look at Painter if I want to expand these skills. Photoshop has been very fusterating for me in this area, I "know" what I want the image to look like but have an impossible time creating it.

Comment

Pics worth 1K words...

http://www.pbase.com/judy2810/

IMO you can't touch this type of result in Photoshop with filters, plugins and/or brush settings. While you might not totally like Judy's unique style, these examples illustrate Painter's strength: As Ro wrote, Painter enables one to digitally mimic realistic looking paint strokes.

While exceptional results can be achieved if one has traditional drawing/painting skills, very good results can still be achieved by using a combination of freeform strokes and strokes rendered using Painter's cloning capabilities.

Here's some discussion on Painter cloning that might help connect a few dots...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=16736745

re: "I have tried Photoshop WOW ... but [the methods] are time consuming"

Don't expect a huge increase in workflow efficiency when Painter enters the picture. Using it can be time consuming, too.

~Danny~
        Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-02-2006, 10:18 PM. Reason: Fix a typo.

Comment

I agree. You basically "prep" the image in PS; color correct, retouch, etc, to take it into painter. Then the fun begins. I always end up back in PS, do do final color adjustments, details to eyes, hair, sharpening etc.
          You have a lovely daughter.

~Nancy~
          just playing around - one more photo art oil texture background.

http://www.fixthepixs.com
          http://www.datepixs.com
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Nanls; 02-02-2006, 01:07 PM. Reason: to upload a higher k image

Comment

Workflow...
            * Photoshop: Contrast adjustments, isolate subject, build BG, prep with KPT Pyramid Painter, PS Dry Brush, Impressionist
            * Painter for stroke effects, blending
            * Photoshop: Fine tuning
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice image Danny. I love KPT Pyraimid Paint; use it mainly for watercolors.
              The more I use painter the more I realize how much more I have to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Nanls
                Nice image Danny. I love KPT Pyraimid Paint; use it mainly for watercolors.
                The more I use painter the more I realize how much more I have to learn!
                Thanks, Nancy. I know what you mean about Painter. I'm just barely scratching the surface of its capabilities.

Too much to learn, too little time!

Comment

Good one Danny

If that KPT thing a 3rd party filter that is already in PS7 or PSCS2?... or did you buy it

Regards,

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Mc
                    If that KPT thing a 3rd party filter that is already in PS7 or PSCS2?... or did you buy it

Regards,

Bob
                    Hi Bob and thanks for the kind words.

A set of KPT plugins, including Pyramid Painter, is intalled along with Painter IX. (I ported this plugin to Photoshop.) I don't know offhand if it's available separately.

The effect Pyramid Painter renders is somewhere between Photoshop's Dry Brush filter and the free Xero > Caravaggio plugin, available here: http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/

~Danny~

Comment

Some simpler-but-less-expensive alternatives to Painter

Painter is the no-compromise everything-but-the-kitchen sink version of art-media capability. I don't know how serious you want to get, but you might also download and try the following because they're all sub $100.

Corel Painter Essentials: I think it's sort of a simplified version of Painter. I tried it for 30 days and, for my amateurish fiddling around, couldn't find anything that isn't already in Paintshop (see next item.)

Paintshop Pro X: Has a pretty full complement of art media stroke and blending effects. Nice thing here is you get this nicely integrated with all of the familiar photoshop-like photo-retouching tools--ie, art media layers can be masked/blended/filtered/etc along with raster and vector layers.

Art Rage: This is a free-download art-media simulator. Very similar to the features in Paintshop Pro, except of course there's none of the layering/photo-retouching capability. My kids love this one because it has a very basic UI.

Bart

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
                        (I ported this plugin to Photoshop.)~Danny~
                        I didn't know you could do that! do you just drop it on the plugin folder?
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nanls
                          I didn't know you could do that! do you just drop it on the plugin folder?
                          Thanks
                          Making a copy of \KPT collection and putting it into your equivalent of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins is one approach.

Another is to make a Windows' shortcut for \KPT collection and put the shortcut in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins.

A third possibility (and what I did) is to create a separate folder for 3rd party plugins, e.g., \My Plugins, and install all plugins there. Then use Photoshop's preference setting to point PS to this "additional plugins folder." Can't do that in Painter (yet), but putting plugin folder shortcuts inside Painter's plugin folder works just fine.

The benefit of the \My plugins approach is the ability to share plugins across applications and never having to reinstall plugins ... Just update the PS preferences entry and/or the folder shortcuts.

Comment

The benefit of the \My plugins approach is the ability to share plugins across applications and never having to reinstall plugins ... Just update the PS preferences entry and/or the folder shortcuts.
                            Thanks Danny, just dumped them in my photoshop plugins folder, usually this doesn't work (well at least not for the commercial plugins) unless I use the install program, but no problem for the KPT filter.... Thanks a bunch!
                            ~Nancy~
                            Last edited by byRo; 02-03-2006, 05:17 AM. Reason: Rô: Fixed a missing bracket

Comment

I started this thread and just wanted to let everyone know that I have purchased Painter 9. Thanks to everyone for all of thier input and look for my future threads asking for advice on using the new software!

Comment

Working...
                              X